Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 10:52 PM

3 posts, read 4,495 times

Advertisements

Looking for a 4/2 w/in 20 minute commute of airport. Good schools for reseal value or future even though we homeschool.
Safe/low crime area. 250k max for home.

Any suggestions??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 07:46 AM

560 posts, read 2,076,081 times
Not really. Not unless you like rural living. Then it's probably perfect. But I think you're out of luck if you're looking for either a traditional neighborhood, or a suburb with shopping ammenities.

The issue is that JIA was intentionally built out in the middle of nowhere North of the city. The Northside neighborhoods tend to be the ones with high crime and bad schools, so you'd have to drive through the city to get to the best suburbs. This would put you well over 20 minutes. Probably closer to 45.

On the other hand, there are plenty of cheap, low crime housing options on the Northside. Particularly North of the Trout River, and even all the way out in Nassau County. The problem there is that (in my opinion) it's still very rural. There's very little in the way of retail or services (although that new shopping center near the Airport helps a lot). It's not like it's just a bunch of farms or anything. It's just that the far northern suburbs are easily the least developed area of Jax.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:34 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,275,804 times
I kinda disagee with Joe. You can find a 4/2 for 250k in Riverside, possibly San Marco which both have good overall schools. Both are also part of the few Historic districts that surrond downtown. Riverside is probably your best bet, as it's a trendy place to be, yet not overly expensive yet. The schools are overall good, though if you're not familar with Duval then you wouldn't know that academic magnet schools are popular as well (kids from all over can go to a magnet school if they make good grades, etc). We have some of the best in the nation, at that. Here are the public schools that Riverside locals mostly attend (2008 ratings):

Elementary ----
Central Riverside: A
Fishweir: A
West Riverside: C

Middle ----
Kirby-Smith: A
Cookman: A
Johnson: A

High ----
Stanton: A
Paxon: A
Anderson: A
Lee : D

I think there might be another middle school in the area too, not sure though. San Marco is a little more posh than Riverside a little further drive time, depending on where in the area you live. It might be difficult to find a decent 4/2 for 250k, but maybe not. Their public schools are generally good, probably even better than Riverside, not including magnet schools. Though again depending on the time of day you might be stretching that 20 min drive.

I would agree with Joe that no other area, besides rural, is going to have overall good schools and the kinda house that you want. There are areas that have the kinda house that you want, but the schools are just fair (hence the popularity of magnet schools & private schools).

Old 06-19-2009, 08:53 AM

Fsu813,

Riverside is my personal favorite neighborhood in Jacksonville. So you won't get any argument from me there. San Marco is most likely out of their price range for a 4/2.

However, I was just trying to tailor my response to the limited information the TS provided. As much as I love Riverside, it wouldn't be my first suggestion for a homeschooling family. Just playing the odds, it's probably not what they are interested in. Also, she said a 20 minute commute, and Riverside is about 25 in typical traffic (if you don't speed), same for San Marco.

But yeah, I think Riverside would be worth the slightly longer commute if they want a walkable, city neighborhood with all the urban ammenities.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:53 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,275,804 times
Doesn't take me 25 minutes to get to the airport from Riverside, that's for sure =)

Old 06-19-2009, 10:38 AM

754 posts, read 2,814,668 times
Maybe Nassau County?

Old 06-19-2009, 11:38 AM

LOL ... it wouldn't take me 25 minutes either. Maybe 15.

I'm just saying - theoretically - if one were to follow the posted speed limits, it would be about 25 from Riverside to JIA. Not that a Floridian would ever go less than 80mph on I-95. But this person is a transplant, so you never know.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:11 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,111,194 times
I am at 9a & Baymeadows on the southside and it take us 20 to 25 mins to the airport it is a straight shot right up 9a to 95

So the OP might want to look in this area

Old 06-19-2009, 01:11 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,723,141 times
You can do a 20 to 25 min commute from Riverside on someplace further south if you're doing 70 to 75. Otherwise, it'll take a good 30 mins.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:35 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,499,725 times
I can make it from I-95/Old St Augustine up to Edgewood in just under 25 minutes, at roughly 75mph. That's traveling right through downtown in midday traffic. Rush hour is a slightly different story. So, traveling from Riverside to JIA in under 20 minutes is very possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville