Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 7,362 times

Advertisements

My daughter has been accepted to Jacksonville University, and I'd like to know what people think of the university and its surrounding area. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 09:21 PM

4 posts, read 14,529 times
Default Jacksonville University

My daughter has been accepted to JU and she'll be starting there this fall. We took a trip to visit the school and it was a beautiful campus...older buildings with a retro feel with palm trees and fountains. The surrounding area is an older neighborhood that we were told has it's share of crime which I am concerned about. They told us that there are certain areas to be avoided but the school itself has its own security and there are three entrances...two are closed at 10:30pm and the third has a guard gate.

The school has a waterfront area that looks across at downtown Jacksonville. There is a long bridge that you have to cross over to get from JU to the downtown area. Everything is very spread out but it seems easy to find your way with a navigation system or map. Where we stayed there was a nice mall and restaurants...at the Hampton Inn near the school.

Has your daughter decided to go there ? We've been hearing nothing but good things about the school and my daughter is looking forward to her first year there.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:22 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
My dad got his Master's at JU and my brother has a house close to that campus. It's an okay area if you use common sense. Jacksonville IS awfully spread out and your daughter will probably appreciate having a car so she can get to the beach, St Augustine etc..

Old 06-29-2009, 09:42 PM

200 posts, read 619,122 times
Marilyn, the university is on the River and is beautiful. However, I would encourage you to check with JSO (Sheriff's office) crime stats prior to choosing a place. Its not surefire way, but will give an outsider an idea of the immediate surrounding area. Good luck..

Old 06-30-2009, 07:04 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,501,664 times
Here's the JSO crime stats page: Crime Statistics

Old 06-30-2009, 09:21 AM

17 posts, read 59,052 times
I live about 2 miles from the campus, and my neighborhood is fine. You do not want to get a place close to the campus on University BLVD, and there are apartments on Fort Caroline (right down the road from campus) that are horrible for crime. If you are looking for a house for her, try between Merill and Arlington Road. If you want a decent apartment complex, you will have to look further out. Most of them near the university are really run down.

Luckily, houses are very cheap in the area right now, and if she could find a room mate would probably be able to afford rent without a problem. I have seen a bunch of places that are for rent or sale by their owner, within a few miles of campus.

I hope this helped.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:47 AM

560 posts, read 2,076,518 times
I'll echo what others have said.

JU itself is a nice little campus. It's on the river with some nice tree canopy. I don't think it's anything spectacular, but it has its moments.

The neighborhood immediately surrounding JU is a declining suburb called Arlington. Poorer residents have been moving in for awhile and the crime and grit are rising accordingly. I wouldn't have a problem with on-campus housing; however, I wouldn't want to live in the neighborhoods near campus.

I'd suggest living a bit further West in slightly nicer suburbs like East Arlington or the Ft Caroline area. Alternately, it would be fun living in one of the great urban neighborhoods like Riverside or San Marco and doing a reverse commute to JU. That wouldn't be too far if you are driving to campus anyway.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:04 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
I'd suggest your daughter live on campus as a freshman.

JU is a nice school and I hope she enjoys it.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:28 AM

204 posts, read 635,187 times
A mostly nice area, but why not UNF as it's a better school and much more affordable...

Old 10-11-2009, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 6,962 times
Hi, my son is interested in JU for 2010, and I wondered how your daughter's experience has been so far. We also think the campus is beautiful but we're a little worried about the crime. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetopaz55 View Post
My daughter has been accepted to JU and she'll be starting there this fall. We took a trip to visit the school and it was a beautiful campus...older buildings with a retro feel with palm trees and fountains. The surrounding area is an older neighborhood that we were told has it's share of crime which I am concerned about. They told us that there are certain areas to be avoided but the school itself has its own security and there are three entrances...two are closed at 10:30pm and the third has a guard gate.

The school has a waterfront area that looks across at downtown Jacksonville. There is a long bridge that you have to cross over to get from JU to the downtown area. Everything is very spread out but it seems easy to find your way with a navigation system or map. Where we stayed there was a nice mall and restaurants...at the Hampton Inn near the school.

Has your daughter decided to go there ? We've been hearing nothing but good things about the school and my daughter is looking forward to her first year there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville