Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 11:59 AM

589 posts, read 851,205 times

Advertisements

You are right lightheaded.

The overwhelming single most important indicator of a students success in school, is the amount of parent involvement.

No argument there.

But, there are concerned, involved parents living in Duval County, just as there are thoughout the rest of the State and the Country. Yet, for some reason Duval County consistantly tests lower, has a much higher then average private school attendence percentage, (what better indicator of the true situation then to look at how parent are voting with their pocketbooks) and a much poorer reputation then most other school sysytems. (Country or State)

I don't think that Duval County was randomly taged with the moniker of 'poor school sysytem.' by a bunch of mean spirited negative posters.We have that reputation because it is well earned. I mean, why Duval County and not Orange County or Broward County or Hillsborough County with the bad reputation? Granted, I'm sure thart you could find a horror story to share from any of these other school sysytems, but no question that 'on average' we don't stack up well.

It's a hard argument to make that for some reason poor old Duval County just happens to have more negative people that are all ganging up on it, in order to unfairly brand it as well below average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 02:36 PM

150 posts, read 577,341 times
My argument is that it isn't the system that turns out bad students. If you put a whole bunch of kids with parents who don't care about them into a school, of course the school will get a failing FCAT grade.

The point I am trying to make is: Stop blaming the schools. Stop sending your kids to private school for fear that Duval public schools will make them stupid. As long as YOUR child has the proper home environment and adequate support, the Duval school system will provide them an education comparable to an education they would get in other school systems.

THAT is why Clay county has "better schools". It's not because the system is better or the teachers are better, it's because the composition of families that make up the county.

I agree that Duval hasn't been branded a "poor school system" by mean-spiritied people, but by ignorant people who move here, hear that from some people, and then immediately put their kids in private school and continue to spread the rumor.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:57 PM

589 posts, read 851,205 times
lightheaded,

I hear you, but check this link out.

Florida State Districts - FL School District Rankings

Duval County ranks 56, out of 66 Florida school districts. I can see several counties on this list ranking well above Duval, that all face the same poverty, inner city, or funding issues that Duval does. Yet, they have managed to figure it out in a way that we haven't. So, Duval is 56 out of 66, in a State that is 50 out of 50 in school funding. That's pretty poor, no matter how you cut it.

I don't think anyone, mean spitited, or ignorant is branding Duval as poor. They don't have to. The stats speak for themself. That's my point. Our poor reputation is well earned.

We have problems that go deeper than having some uninterested parents. Those type of parents exsist all over the State.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:55 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,281,701 times
Nomad,

56 out of 66 yet....

101 Duval County Public schools are rated as A or B (up from 85 the previoius year), & less than 20 are D or F.

Hmmm.

Also, in repsonse to your previous assertions:

Pratt-Dannals didn't "run for office", he was appointed the temporary SI, then voted in officially. SI's don't normally have to go througha trial period coming off a disasterous period, this guy did. And is suceeding by all accounts. Why the hate?

By leaving out the small detalin (sacasm) of feeder schools, you leave out a lot.

You quoted as saying: "If only all of these misguided parents would give the poor public schools a chance." - which i did not. At all. Making stuff up isn't a good thing.

I echo llight's comments. Generally speaking, the schools don't make the student's fail. The students background makes them fail. Otherwise all students at F schools would be horrible, and all students at good schools would be good. Obviously this is not true.

You qouted me saying: "The crime isn't really that bad, we're just a geographically large city", "The public schools aren't bad. It's those crazy parents all putting their children in private school." - Again, i didn't say either. And if this is simnply an attempt to summarize, you've done a poor job. Your comments don't reflect my opinion at all.

I do embrace change when it comes to crime levels & schools. I've been involved in both, actively. Your comment seems ironic though, as you were just railing on the new SI.......

Old 10-19-2009, 09:48 PM

I think you're living in a different reality, perhaps on Jupiter.

Any back & forth we've had does not fit your description.

The reality is about 3/4th of Jax schools made A or B's, which i can provide a link for if you'd like.

Most of the serious problems are in the highschools, though we do have some great one's too.

These are the facts, parks71. Again, i can provide links at your request.

Also, it's a fact that the vast majoroty of violent crime happen in very specific parts of town. In most other areas, it's not at high levels at all. Those are also facts that I can proide links to at your request.

Again, just give me the word and i'll copy & paste for you, with links. I've done it in the past, but your skewed perspective makes your output frighteningly and emabarrassinglly immune to any linked facts i've posted. You manage to twist them around like a seasoned contortionist.

Finally, your last line says it all. If only life were that simple (ha). I guess it is for those who think simply. The correct answer is "overall St. Johns is better, but finding good schools in Duval isn't a problem".

Old 12-04-2009, 08:56 PM

4 posts, read 11,001 times
My sister lives in Maryland, in a rich DC exurb and what she describes is exactly like Duval County Schools.. a handful of really top notch magnates and hundreds of other schools that dont even deserve the name "school". Fleming Island schools in general do extemely well on the FCATs as do St Johns county schools. Not sure about the extracurriculars, but preparation in the basics appears to put them in the top 1 or 2% of Florida schools.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:13 PM

4 posts, read 11,001 times
Default Just look at the FCAT stats

I dont know what rankings people are looking at to see 3/4 of all Duval schools ranking an A or a B. SchoolDigger has maps of where every school is and what its ranking in the FCAT puts it in terms of the other schools in Florida. Schools are ranked 0 to 5 with 5 being the highest. The map of Duval County publics schools is downright scary. 2 after 0 after 1 after 0 after 1 after 2. You have to really look hard to find a 4 or a 5 on the map. That is really sad. If your kid is smart enough to make it into one of the better magnates (a lot of the magnates are pretty pathetic also) and also lucky enough to win the lottery, then you are ok. Otherwise, your kid is basically toast in the Duval County school system. Its not worth the chance when nearly every school in Clay is at least a 3 and every school in St. Johns is at least a 4. Why risk it? I moved.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:08 AM

Florida education officials said more schools are earning "A" and "B" grades than ever before, and the number of low-performing schools is shrinking. It reports that nearly three-fourths earned the top two grades, while 45 schools got an "F."

The number of Duval's 153 schools receiving an "A" or "B" rose from 79 last year to 85 this year. The number graded "F" dropped from 11 last year to eight this year.

(the full article is linked)

Most School Grades Up, But State Flunks 8 In Duval County - Education News Story - WJXT Jacksonville (http://www.news4jax.com/education/16819360/detail.html - broken link)

your welcome.

also.....

"DISTRICT GRADES FOR 2009

Baker County -- B

Clay County -- A

Duval County -- B

Flagler County -- A

Nassau County -- A

Putnam County -- C

St. Johns County -- A

Volusia County -- A"

per St. Augustine paper not too long ago (article linked)

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/for...ic=5314.0;wap2

Old 12-05-2009, 08:57 AM

924 posts, read 2,604,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripehound View Post
My sister lives in Maryland, in a rich DC exurb and what she describes is exactly like Duval County Schools.. a handful of really top notch magnates and hundreds of other schools that dont even deserve the name "school". Fleming Island schools in general do extemely well on the FCATs as do St Johns county schools. Not sure about the extracurriculars, but preparation in the basics appears to put them in the top 1 or 2% of Florida schools.
Does she live in Montgomery county? If so there is really no comparison, they are nothing like Duval county schools...

Old 12-05-2009, 09:01 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,217,262 times
It's always a little sad that so many of the "Best Of Jax" in the restaurant section are chains. I wonder if this is the case in other areas.

Best bagel- Panera's....... more than a little sad.

And Best Folio Suckup goes to:

BEST-LOOKING LOCAL POLITICIAN
Mayor John Peyton
He’s helmed a grossly over-budget courthouse project, proposed an increase in property tax rates amid widespread foreclosures and attracted the ire of local gun nuts by joining Mayors Against Illegal Guns. But the real issue is whether Jacksonville Mayor John Peyton looked good doing it. And dammit, he did. Even during an election year that ushered a whole batch of new hotties into the local political fold (John Crescimbeni? Be still my heart!), Johnny P. managed to hold on to the title of Best-Looking Local Politician for the second year in a row. Even if Jacksonvillians can’t agree on his policies, we can all agree that he’s a meticulously groomed, sexily bespectacled fox. — G.S.

....sexily bespectacled fox?! OMG, that is too funny!

Last edited by Magnolia Bloom; 12-05-2009 at 09:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville