Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2009, 07:22 AM

9 posts, read 18,448 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I moved to Jacksonville from New York a few months ago. I had GHI in New York which turned into Emblem Health also known as Multi Plan down here. I was told I would have no problem using this insurance in Jacksonville. Every time I need to see a doctor I go on the emblem health website and look up a doctor. The options that pop up are really limited and when I call to make an appointment whomever I speak with claims they have never heard of my insurance before. One doctor i went to took the insurance for the appointment but not for the labs that they did which makes NO sense to me that they would use a lab that doesn't take the same insurance as them. Anyway, I have an ongoing health problem that requires me to see a Urologist and I would really like to get on a new plan that will give me many options for doctors in my neighborhood (riverside, which seems to be full of doctors), and cover both the appointment and any labs/cultures. I don't know what the most common insurance companies are in Jacksonville and could really use some advice, anything will help. I am looking for an individual plan.

Thanks!
Ali
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 09:09 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,502,391 times
When I went from employer-provided health insurance (United Health Care) to a individual plan, I went to the company's website to check out their offering. Their subsidiary is Golden Rule Health. They had several different options for coverage and the prices were fair. I didn't really compare prices with other companies, though, so YMMV. Medical Insurance and Individual Health Insurance | GoldenRule.com

Old 10-29-2009, 08:01 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikats View Post
...I don't know what the most common insurance companies are in Jacksonville and could really use some advice, anything will help. I am looking for an individual plan.
I can't say for sure if these companies have individual plans, but these companies seem to be common in Jacksonville:

Aetna

Humana

Blue Cross/Shield

I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones I remember seeing on the list when I was at my doctor's office recently. Mine is employer provided and we were with Aetna a few years back and they were pretty good. The company then switched to United Healthcare and I had lots of issues with them (including a limited choice of doctors). When the option came up to switch, I went to Humana and so far I really like them. I'm not crazy about the multiple cards (I like to have just one card for visits, prescriptions, etc), but that's my only complaint so far.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:25 AM

9 posts, read 18,448 times
Thanks so much for the suggestions! I will have to do more research on which one is best for me and make a decision. I have never chosen my own health care plan and don't even know what I am looking for, but I guess there is no time better then today to learn.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:53 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,502,391 times
Blue Cross has that Blue Options thing, which I believe is for individuals. They have an office out at St Johns Town Center, or at least they used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville