Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 07:28 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
Riveree,

you can't live a couple miles from Downtown and be in the suburbs. that's a bit of an exaggeration.
What do you call San Marco?? Single family homes on .25-.50 acre lots....that's suburban buddy and it's 2-4 miles from the center of Downtown Jacksonville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 05:07 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,276,703 times
San Marco is one of the historic, urban core neighborhoods that surrond Downtown. This is common knowledge.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
San Marco is one of the historic, urban core neighborhoods that surrond Downtown. This is common knowledge.
I realize you consider yourself THE authority, but since I've owned property and lived in and out of the neighborhood for over a decade, I do know a thing or two about it.

There are only 3 designated historic districts in Jacksonville: Avondale, Riverside and Springfield. Now that the housing stock in San Marco has passed the 50 year mark, it's possible to apply for historic designation, but it's probably not going to happen. There are however a handful of historic buildings in the neighborhood.

By Jacksonville standards, you can see how San Marco gets loosely described as "urban", but it's really a first ring suburban neighborhood. It is a dense suburban neighborhood, I've even referred to it as "urban-suburban" due to the density and the proximity to downtown, but it is suburban nonetheless. Coming from Manhattan, I can easily recognize the difference between the two.

FSU, you seem to have an agenda here on City-Data - to promote living close to the city core (with a special focus on Springfield). That is all well and good, but you might want to take a step back and see where you're shooting yourself in the foot. One of the unique characteristics of Jacksonville is precisely what San Marco is - to be in such close proximity to the downtown core yet live the suburban lifestyle of a single family home on a decent sized piece of green. Most big cities, or what is often referred to on this forum as *real* cities, do not offer such suburban access so close to the city core. You usually have to travel a greater distance. This is the meaning behind my first post on this thread. Do you see my point now?

Discussions are welcome, debates are welcome, but I can do without the condescension.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:16 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,261 times
riveree does have a point.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:27 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,984,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
riveree does have a point.
Absolutely. An educated, well-balanced, knowledgable point. A point made by someone with a much higher reputation than some others (which proves respectability, reliability, etc.)

Old 11-06-2009, 08:08 AM

1) I deal in facts, not opinion most of the time. That's why I link so much. Because most of my "opinions" can be objectively verified. I link to reputable sources more than anyone else on Jax CD I would wager.

While it's not on the offical register, San Marco is condsidred a historic neighbrohood/district. That is a fact. I can site any number of referneces for this: this month's 'The Resident' nieghborhood newspaper home (http://www.residentnews.net/home.html - broken link), Jax Historical Society http://www.jaxhistory.com/news7.htm, metrojacksonville's 'urban neighborhoods' MetroJacksonville.com - Index | Jacksonville FL | Metro Jacksonville, San Marco Preservation Society San Marco Preservation Society, Amanda Searle's specialities downtown jacksonville historic homes historic jacksonville fl Avondale Real Estate Riverside Real Estate Springfield Real Estate San Marco Real Estate For Sale Jacksonville Historic Homes Historic Jacksonville FL, etc etc etc etc.

I could link 50 more if you wish. But I won't, just one:

Jackson Square will be an exciting new mixed-used community near downtown Jacksonville and the historic San Marco district,” President Paul Basham said. “The design for this pedestrian-friendly development emphasizes interconnectivity to mass transit with the potential to connect residents and visitors via commuter rail, skyway and rapid transit bus systems. Jackson Square will bring vibrant new life to this area of Jacksonville.”

The development site covers approximately 18 acres, including the former Jerry Hamm Chevrolet location and other smaller parcels. It is the largest re-development project on the boards in Jacksonville’s San Marco district.

Jackson Square is based on the design principals of Transit Oriented Development (TOD). This new trend emphasizes the creation of livable, walkable communities oriented around public transportation systems. This type of development makes it possible to live a high quality life without complete dependence upon an automobile.

“The time has come to re-develop this great location that will play an important and strategic role in the future development of Jacksonville’s Urban Core,” said Steve Cissel of FirstStar Development. “Jackson Square will be a mixed-used destination that will change the community for the better.”

Jackson Square in San Marco- transit oriented community | Jacksonville.com

Again, I could go on & on. San Marco is definitely one of the historic neighborhoods that surrond the urban core of Jacksonville. This can't be legitamately disputed.

It's not the same level of "urban" as Manhattan as you mentioned, of course. And urban neighborhoods can have large plots of residetial land on them, that's not unusual.

2) I do have an agenda. Anyone that is looking for something similar to one of the historic neighborhoods that surrond Downtown can get all kinds of information from me. With links to verify if they wish, most of time. If they aren't looking for something similar then probably won't be able to help them.

3) who cares about rep points (ha). gimme a break. i don't give them and i don't care if receive any.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:29 PM

I've said my piece, I'm not going to derail the thread just because one person doesn't get the point.

I appreciate the support fsuid and mawipawfl .

Old 11-08-2009, 05:09 AM

yea, i wouldn't pursue it any further. i would just link 10 other references to prove that (surprise) i know what i'm talking about.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:10 AM

459 posts, read 1,417,376 times
wow.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:33 PM

28 posts, read 69,850 times
I just moved down from MD too. I was not too far from where Tercel was - maybe 20 minutes north of him. I will agree with Tercel here. Compared to where I was in MD, I'm much better off down here. Heck, before I moved to southern Maryland, I lived in between Washington DC and Baltimore in a decent area. My rent there for a one bedroom apartment with radiator heat and window AC units was $800 a month. My electric bill for my 650 SF apartment would range anywhere from $90-150 a month depending upon how much I ran the AC.

Down here I'm in a two bedroom apartment with a gate, many more amenities and so much more to do. I'm paying $856 a month. My first electric bill was $34 for a month. My water/sewer/trash bill was $30.

Seems like I'm a bit better off down here ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville