Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 04:46 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
And now I'm noticing something has been digging & making big holes in our backyard too, so who even knows what that creature could be.
I suspect moles or squirrels - more so the latter as they're currently storing their food for the winter. (At least that's what is going on in my yard and potted plants.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 08:22 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
This post got me thinking, what kinds of lizards and insects do I see here?

On a daily basis:

Anoles...both Green and Cuban
Butterflies...especially Monarchs and Gulf Fritilary (most of the year)
Dragonflies (I live near water)
Yellow Jackets...I have a hive
Ants
Grasshoppers

Often:

Toads
Frogs, including the unbelievably cute Tree Frog!
Palmettos...Yuck!!
Honeybees....awww!
Geckos
Beetles...Ladybug, Junebug...I've even see Stag beetles and some sort of huge one-horned beetle .

On occasion:

Black Widow spider
Wolf spider
Scorpion...have seen both the small red Hentz and the big brown Bark

There are a lot more, but these are the more interesting ones. Then there are the snakes, possums, armadillos...Florida is filled with wildlife. You really can't escape it here. You have to embrace it, bugs and all, if you want to live here peacefully. You can't poison them all away, the best thing is to work towards a balanced ecosystem in your own yard - let the snakes eat the palmettos, etc.

What's That Bug? Insect identification

Old 12-11-2009, 08:39 PM

530 posts, read 1,461,000 times
Yep I have my own zoo in my yard free of charge. Go Lizards!!!

Old 12-12-2009, 12:36 PM

24 posts, read 76,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
...Florida is filled with wildlife. You really can't escape it here. You have to embrace it, bugs and all, if you want to live here peacefully. You can't poison them all away, the best thing is to work towards a balanced ecosystem in your own yard - let the snakes eat the palmettos, etc.
Thanks to *everyone* for your help (and for not making me feel so dumb for asking lol).

I truly had no idea the little guys, all varieties of them, would still be that abundant that far north in FL. Goodness help me, I think if I saw a palmetto bug I'd die of cardiac failure. When we were in Tampa during the summer, just seconds off the plane I needed a drink to calm me down from all the wildlife. lol We didn't even stay at out hotel in Boca Raton during the same trip because there were just too many lizards between me and the hotel front door. By the time we made our way to Miami I was absolutely certain the country was experiencing an apocalypse and it was starting with a lizard invasion. lol

Having lived in MD, CA, WA, PA, and DC, I'm not accustomed to anything more than maybe flies (yuk), bees, mice, and the occasional city rat (extra yuk) that STILL freaks me out even in my 30s so I'm rarely, if ever, there at night just to avoid them. lol

So I suppose the huge decision is whether to move further north and battle winter, or further south (FL) and battle things with more legs than me. lol Everyone has given me a lot to think about. Thank you again for your honesty and help! If nothing else, I learned that Jacksonville residents are good people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville