Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 02:32 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,983,217 times

Advertisements

When out on a Sunday meandering drive, it's always worth it to spontaneously turn left or right off the main drag. We did just that, turning off A1A onto a dirt road in the Talbot Islands State Park, and discovered the B.E.A.K.S. Wildlife Sanctuary about a mile or so into the forest.

What does anyone here on Jax C-D know about the place? Through the trees and brush and beyond the very tall chain-link fence we could only see a big stack of plastic pet crates, an overturned blue kiddie pool, a very gigantic shoe (as in The Old Woman Who Lived In A Shoe), but not much else.

As an aside, the dirt road was an interesting drive. It was about 1.5 miles long and there were many, many stately Live Oaks overhanging and dripping with Spanish Moss. Along the way we spotted a few mailboxes at the end of gated dirt driveways that curved into the forest to unseen dwellings of some sort ... a few times the song Dueling Banjos kind of went through my mind (as from the movie Deliverance), but at the end of the road was some sort of gated neighborhood with visibly normal-looking houses.

All-n-all it was a nice drive, but my curiosity is peaked about B.E.A.K.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 02:54 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,015,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
When out on a Sunday meandering drive, it's always worth it to spontaneously turn left or right off the main drag.

All-n-all it was a nice drive, but my curiosity is peaked about B.E.A.K.S.
You've intrigued me!
I've never heard of B.E.A.K.S., and there is a regular wildlife column in our little local newspaper. I was aware that both Talbot Islands have a lot of birds.
We'll have to check it out, I agree with you how those left or right turns can become adventures.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:38 AM

549 posts, read 2,205,270 times
B.E.A.K.S. stands for: Bird Emergency Aid and Kare Sanctuary
They handle wild creatures that are injured and need a safe place to recover and gain strength. I believe they may give tours.

12084 Houston Ave, Jacksonville, FL 32226
(904) 251-2473

Old 09-01-2008, 04:41 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,112,598 times
This is what I found
I was unable to find a website

"When wild creatures are injured and need a safe place to recover and gain strength, B.E.A.K.S. comes to the rescue. Calling itself a "Bird Emergency Aid and Kare Sanctuary," the facility serves more than 2,000 birds and animals each year. Their amenities offer you an opportunity to get a close look at eagles, owls, seagulls and other bird species while they recuperate. Admission is free, but voluntary donations are accepted."

Old 09-01-2008, 05:10 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,983,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
This is what I found
I was unable to find a website

"When wild creatures are injured and need a safe place to recover and gain strength, B.E.A.K.S. comes to the rescue. Calling itself a "Bird Emergency Aid and Kare Sanctuary," the facility serves more than 2,000 birds and animals each year. Their amenities offer you an opportunity to get a close look at eagles, owls, seagulls and other bird species while they recuperate. Admission is free, but voluntary donations are accepted."
I couldn't find much info online either --- I would guess that visiting is done by "appointment" perhaps. In PA there's a similar sanctuary for wolves - somewhat open to the public when one calls first.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:36 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,452,075 times
It's a wild bird rescue, as explained above.

My husband used to do rescue work for them (he retrieved injured birds and brought them in for rehab).

They used to do public tour events as a fundraiser, but I think these are still on hold. There are some issues with the surrounding neighbors since BEAKS shares a private dirt road with residential homes.

Last I knew, BEAKS was closed to the public until further notice.

It's a cool place though. They have a large group of Bald Eagles who have been shot (missing eyes and wings), a big flock of flamingos and many other birds .

Old 09-02-2008, 09:02 AM

859 posts, read 3,617,283 times
who the hell shoots eagles ?!...it's a federal crime damn it.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:08 PM

You'd be surprised by the sick acts that people do to defenseless birds and animals. Just like that pro golfer that killed a protected red-tailed hawk in Orlando...

Old 09-21-2008, 06:18 AM

I found a location for wildlife rescue and care:
Wildlife Rescue Coalition of Northeast Florida, Inc. (http://www.wildlifecoalition.com/index.php?p=main - broken link)

The Wildlife Rescue Coalition of Northeast Florida, Inc
Hours of Operation: Sunday through Saturday 10:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M.
Hotline (904) 779-5569

Old 01-14-2009, 08:56 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,015,431 times
My dog began growling and I watched him observe my cat approach something at the sidewalk, right in front of my house.
It was a very large loon, obviously injured, making its "loony" noise.
My cat ran back to me and I got her and my dog into the house.
I called Animal Control and their bird guy was here in less than 10 minutes!
He wrapped the loon in a blanket (it has a pretty bad wing injury) and will take it right to B.E.A.K.S.
I will call them later and see how the poor loon is doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville