Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 08:50 PM

3 posts, read 6,968 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm a student at UNF. I'm originally from Orlando so I know nothing about Jacksonville and it's neighborhoods/areas. I plan on moving in with boyfriend in July/August into an apartment/condo close to school and in a nice, safe area. I've been looking at Riverside/Avondale, San Marco and Southside. I originally wanted to stay on the east side of the river but the Riverside/Avondale area is still pretty close to school and is also close to downtown. Plus I find rental prices in this area are cheaper than in San Marco or Southside, for some reason I don't know (maybe because it's on the west side of the river?). I'm looking for a 1br/1ba and my budget is $600-$700 a month. Anything lower than that would be great!
I hope someone can help me with information about these areas and which area would be best for a young couple. I appreciate any help you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 09:33 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,287,419 times
Riverside/Avondale & San Marco are both ideal for young adults. Riverside/Avondale is probably THE place to be if your a young adult in general. San Marco, Downtown, & Springfield also have a lot of youth and vibrancy (or what passes for vibrancy in jax).

Here are some realtors that specialize in these areas:

Traditions: TraditionsJax.com » Residential Rentals

Atkinson: Atkinson Realty Group, Inc.

A couple popular, relatively in-expensive Downtown highrises with many young adults: City Place Jacksonville - Jacksonville, FL - CityPlaceJacksonville.com

&

Price are slashed! (http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/apa/1563902940.html - broken link)

Some listings I found on Craigslist that would be very good options:

1. Awesome Downtown Living (http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/apa/1553993815.html - broken link)

2. 1332 Laura St-SPRINGFIELD-Spacious 2/1 in beautiful historic building! (http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/apa/1561853944.html - broken link)

3. >>>>> LET SOMEONE FEED YOU <<<<< (http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/apa/1562320330.html - broken link)

Old 01-22-2010, 07:54 AM

Thank you for your explanation
I will contact those realtors when my move-in approaches. I love the postings you found on craigslist. I think I will go check some of them out.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:06 PM

402 posts, read 1,057,285 times
You said you wanted a place safe, do not move to springfield. It has terrible crime there, from a scale from 1-100, with 1 being the worst crime, this website has it rated a 3. People who live there say it is turning around but it is far from it at this point. PLease look at all the crime websites for yourself and see that its still a very dangerous place to live.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-23-2010 at 06:40 AM..

Old 01-23-2010, 02:31 PM

459 posts, read 1,418,915 times
nice link usage there, parks!

Old 01-25-2010, 10:24 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,287,419 times
Unfortunatly, some posters are out-of-touch and don't have the best info.

Serious crime in Historic Springfield is not a major concerns anymore. Used to be, in the not-so-distant past.

Now, not so much. As in, at all.

If you'd like to ask JSO in-person, there is a neighborhood JSO meeting tomorrow (Jan 26th) at 6pm at 1321 Main Street (The SPAR building). Feel free to educate yourself.

Ex) Southern Living ranks Historic Springfield the #1 Up & Coming neighborhood in the South, with tons of young people moving in: The South's Best Neighborhoods - Photos - SouthernLiving.com

Other articles can be linked as well.

I have various realtor friends who I can get you in touch with too, who can varify that it's just fine overall. Though the one's listed above are experts on this area too, so you can just them. And I personally know 4 young people who ahve moved into the area in the past few months (Navyman, urban planner, realtor, & civil engineer). Nusanse crimes still occur on occasion (ie, a stolen bike, littering) but that's about it.
In the coming months, days actually, i'll link some interviews with real people who've just moved in, with pics. And long-time residents as well, who can chronicle the vast changes.

But again, don't take my word for it....................Ask the realtors who know the area. Ask JSO who patrol the area. Good luck!

Last edited by fsu813; 01-25-2010 at 11:42 AM..

Old 01-25-2010, 02:22 PM

Those pictures are funny. I might have to just go out there one night and have to take pictures of the hooker or homeless people or thugs running about.

Why ask JSO or a realtor? Why not just look at the crime statistics of the area and judge for yourself? Sure the people who live there want to turn it around and say there is not a problem. How do you dispute 2009/2010 crime statistics? Is the realtor going to tell you it really didnt happen?

One persons view of a safe area could be completley different than anothers. Several murders a year with in blocks of where you live might be ok for some, and not ok for others. Dont ask "realtors" "JSO" "people who live there". Look up the FACTS on several different CURRENT crime websites, look at the schools and community, then you decide if its safe enough for you.

I can provide you more crime websites which will say the same exact thing if you wish. Compare the area to the area where UNF is. HUGE difference.

I am not going to argue this point anymore. I just ask you look up facts instead of peoples opinions.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:37 PM

This past weekend I drove around and got lost in Jacksonville trying to find the neighborhoods I wanted to check out, like San Marco, Riverside and Avondale. I ended up in an area that I really didn't like while trying to find Riverside. Today I realized that that neighborhood was Springfield. From what I saw, there is no way I will move into that area. I believe there are some nice places, but as a young woman who will spend time alone in my apartment while my boyfriend is out of town, there is no way I could feel safe in that area.

Thank you for the help both posters provided. I will try to remain on the east side of the river as this is where I have found will best fit my needs.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:41 PM

459 posts, read 1,418,915 times
you would be safer moving into compton than springfield.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:58 PM

Its funny you say that, I went and checked just for fun and compton is rated MUCH better than springfield. Compton has crime ratings as high as 70 and the lowest I could find is 10 compared springfields 3.

I am glad you were able to see it first hand though before jumping the gun. It sure doesnt look like those pictures in that article! Good neighborhoods don't have JSO meetings, that in itself is a bad sign!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville