Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:55 PM

8 posts, read 22,732 times

Advertisements

Hello! I've been offered a job with Shand's Hospital in Jacksonville, FL. I am expected to start 03-15-2010. My wife and I have three children all elementary school age. My wife will be staying in our current town until our children finish school in early June. While I am very familiar with the Orlando and Tampa areas, I know nothing about the Jacksonville area.

Our biggest concern is where to rent an apartment so our children are in a good school district. We are completely overwhelmed with the sheer amount of elementary schools in the Jacksonville area.

Is there anyone that can give me any advice on areas that are within relative driving distance to Shand's Hospital where a decent apartment building and good schools would be?

I am very nervous, but this is a good job opportunity so I don't want to pass it up at this time. Not the highest pay, but definitely a step in the right direction to where I want to go career wise.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 10:44 PM

402 posts, read 1,056,357 times
what do you consider a decent drive and what do you consider affordable? You looking to rent or buy?

Old 02-04-2010, 05:09 AM

We are looking at a 3 bedroom apartment or house to rent. I do not want to buy initially so rental is the route we are going to pursue. I am fine with rental between $1000 and $1300/mth and and as far as driving distance goes, I don't even have an answer! Right now where I am living I have about a 25 minute one way commute, so I am fine with having a bit of a drive if need be. In my experience, the areas directly around hospitals never seem to be that favorable, so I am thinking if there are some specific suburbs or neighborhoods that I should be looking at, that would be best.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 02-04-2010, 05:33 AM

154 posts, read 324,124 times
I'm thinking the Tinseltown area/Touchton Rd. (Southside) might work for you as far as housing and decent commute is concerned. Can't offer any advice on schools in the area though.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:53 AM

725 posts, read 2,571,745 times
Tinseltown is good. There are also some apartments down the street from Twin Lakes Academy, an "A" rated school. It's a safe neighborhood and there's a park/ playground nearby. You can get to work in easily hopping on 95.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:51 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,280,641 times
San Marco, Riverside, & Avondale are much closer, have good schools (highschools are shakey though), and are oozing with families and activities, as are many other areas.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:25 PM

Thank you all for your help! This does help and I appreciate you all taking your time to reply!

Old 02-05-2010, 01:11 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,569,817 times
Murray Hill is a great area to live.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:27 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,280,641 times
Murray Hill: Neighborhood Photo Tour | Metro Jacksonville

Murray Hill is a semi-historic neighborhood that lies right next to the very nice Avondale neighborhood. Unlike Avondale, few large houses will be found in Murray Hill. Instead it's desnely populated with small bungalows for the most part. This area is in transition, from lower-working class to middle & upper class. Many people that like Avondale but can't afford it, move here instead. A nicely restored/renovated bungalow will run you beteween 125k-180k, typically. It has a couple nice parks as well, but the walkability and commerical corridors are very much lacking (few sidewalks or shaded walkways, few desirable few eateries & shops with in walking distance).

Lots of starter homes here as well.

Typical house:

Old 02-05-2010, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 8,352 times
Twin Lakes Academy is the real deal and there are condos close by to rent till you purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville