Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 02:39 AM

15 posts, read 41,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrik1 View Post
Looking for some honest answers please. Have been reading blogs on this site re Jax and most are not very flattering. My husband has been offered a job transfer to Jax and I am having a difficult time accepting this option. It will be a promotion as well as pay raise but money isn't everything. However, to be fair, I am willing to consider the move and try to find out what it has to offer.
With Jacksonville, it's important to keep in mind that it's really about a dozen smaller cities lumped into one. As such, it's not very centralized. Each part has its own thing going on, which may be significantly different from others. Things are significantly spread out over nearly 1000 sq miles if you include the outlying areas. There's a huge beach area to the east, about 5 miles or so inland. The Southside, Westside and Northside are mainly a bedroom/retail community. Between Downtown and the Northside (Moncrief, Golfair, anything north of 12th Street) is a large urban area that has seen significant decline for a variety of reasons. To the east before you hit the beaches is Arlington/Regency, which includes a lot of shopping. Mandarin and Baymeadows, which are east of the river and south of University Blvd, tend to be slightly more upscale bedroom/retail communities. Gate Parkway has a lot of offices and some nice places to live, relatively close to the city.

We do have our share of crime, but it tends to be concentrated in specific areas which unfortunately have borne the brunt of many problems over the years. Like anywhere else, you should remain aware and always know your exits. There are cultural things and nightlife if you know where to look...but it's usually not clumped together very much. Quite a bit of stuff goes on out at the beach and some areas of the Southside, Avondale, Riverside, Downtown, etc.

We have a lot of summer, however...and palmetto bugs are a fact of life almost everywhere. They're really just oversized roaches, and you'll see them in places that you would normally see small roaches. Don't let that stop you, though...I can't remember the last time anyone died from one. The entire area is kind of suburbanized and very flat, so scenery isn't something that comes up very often. What you do see will probably be either pine trees or a river or salt marsh if you're going over a bridge. There's also the beach, of course. Most of the roads are either urban/suburban areas or interstates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 06:01 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celadon View Post
With Jacksonville, it's important to keep in mind that it's really about a dozen smaller cities lumped into one. As such, it's not very centralized. Each part has its own thing going on, which may be significantly different from others. Things are significantly spread out over nearly 1000 sq miles if you include the outlying areas. There's a huge beach area to the east, about 5 miles or so inland. The Southside, Westside and Northside are mainly a bedroom/retail community. Between Downtown and the Northside (Moncrief, Golfair, anything north of 12th Street) is a large urban area that has seen significant decline for a variety of reasons. To the east before you hit the beaches is Arlington/Regency, which includes a lot of shopping. Mandarin and Baymeadows, which are east of the river and south of University Blvd, tend to be slightly more upscale bedroom/retail communities. Gate Parkway has a lot of offices and some nice places to live, relatively close to the city.

We do have our share of crime, but it tends to be concentrated in specific areas which unfortunately have borne the brunt of many problems over the years. Like anywhere else, you should remain aware and always know your exits. There are cultural things and nightlife if you know where to look...but it's usually not clumped together very much. Quite a bit of stuff goes on out at the beach and some areas of the Southside, Avondale, Riverside, Downtown, etc.

We have a lot of summer, however...and palmetto bugs are a fact of life almost everywhere. They're really just oversized roaches, and you'll see them in places that you would normally see small roaches. Don't let that stop you, though...I can't remember the last time anyone died from one. The entire area is kind of suburbanized and very flat, so scenery isn't something that comes up very often. What you do see will probably be either pine trees or a river or salt marsh if you're going over a bridge. There's also the beach, of course. Most of the roads are either urban/suburban areas or interstates.
Actually - our palmetto bugs are really different than northern roaches (I've lived up north and dealt with those nasty dirty northern cockroaches). The ones up north live inside in dirty places. Ours are a lot bigger - but live outside - basically in the yard - and aren't related to filthy indoor areas - like those up north. If you leave windows/doors open - they will explore and get in your house - but so will lizards - snakes - whatever. Even the raccoons in the sofa commercial!! FWIW - best way to catch most of the smaller things is take a plastic Rubbermaid type bowl - turn it upside down - put it on the critter - and then scoop it from underneath with a solid board - like a clipboard - and relocate it outside. Or you can just try to herd them outside (that's what we do with the lizards when they're near windows/doors). Robyn

Old 03-27-2010, 11:49 AM

7 posts, read 44,836 times
you sound like a horrible person with your quick judgements of people you don't even know. this an "offer" not "mandatory" for my husband. shame on you for giving a bad rap to jax people. are they all like you?

Old 03-27-2010, 12:10 PM

7 posts, read 44,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Bugs (except for termites) are no big deal here in terms of inside. Palmetto bugs are outdoor critters that only get into your house by accident if you leave windows/sliding doors open.

The bigger problem is the weather. JAX is in the south - and has southern weather. You can expect high temps (highs in the 80's-90's from about May to early October). Lots of humidity too. I used to live in Philadelphia - and hated the cold weather - where I could only get outside and do stuff I liked a few months a year. I lived in Miami - and find JAX cold in the winter (spring and fall are delightful but may not last very long). But that's me. You have to answer the question for yourself. FWIW - one advantage of the heat/humidity is you can get to be 60+ - like me - still have smooth skin - and never have to use a lot of gunk on your face. But - quite frankly - with you waxing lyrical about winter snow up north in Pennsylvania - I don't think you'd like it here (on my part - the only place I've ever liked snow was on ski vacations out west - and I traveled with a humidifier ).

BTW - I don't think you mentioned the nature of your husband's job move - or what kind of work you do for a living. If this is a promotion for your husband within a company - and he is expected to do it - and you don't work - then I'd "suck it up" and learn to appreciate the good aspects of his transfer (and if my assumptions aren't correct - I'd be glad to revise my opinion). Robyn
btw,...i am a recreational therapist, i do work now, i always have worked, and probably always will work unless we win the lotto. don't bother revising your opinion now as i am NOT interested. i thought this forum was to offer positive feedback for people looking to relocate to jax? all you did was ATTACK. anyway, our deepest thanks to you as since my husband read your less than kind postings, we have decided to keep our lives and our wallet here in pa. thanks robyn.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:51 PM

870 posts, read 2,180,394 times
Quote:
btw,...i am a recreational therapist, i do work now, i always have worked, and probably always will work unless we win the lotto. don't bother revising your opinion now as i am NOT interested. i thought this forum was to offer positive feedback for people looking to relocate to jax? all you did was ATTACK. anyway, our deepest thanks to you as since my husband read your less than kind postings, we have decided to keep our lives and our wallet here in pa. thanks robyn.
That's probably for the best. I don't think you would have liked the Florida weather.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:55 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
I agree with Jagfag. I don't think Jax would be a good fit. I say that as someone who has really tried to like it here. But some realities of living here can overshadow one's overall experience.

As you do not like it to be hot, you could end up being an unhappy camper for much of the year. I have lived all over Florida and think that Jax's heat is one of the most oppressive*. But it is exactly Jax's heat that some are drawn to.

* Living near the beach would be a different story, I'm sure.

Good luck in your search.

Quote:
Looking for some honest answers please. Have been reading blogs on this site re Jax and most are not very flattering. My husband has been offered a job transfer to Jax and I am having a difficult time accepting this option. It will be a promotion as well as pay raise but money isn't everything. However, to be fair, I am willing to consider the move and try to find out what it has to offer.

I am a small town girl at heart. We currently live in a rural town in Pennsylvania just 1 hour north of Philadelphia. I have lived in NYC, New Orleans, and Houston, so I am indeed familiar with city living. I LOVE the mountains, hills and valleys, appreciate all 4 seasons but enjoy summer the LEAST. I dislike being hot. In other words, do you think there is anything in Jax, in a social/entertainment area, that will provide me some enjoyment?

Children are grown and all living throughout the United States so schools are not an issue. It will just be my husband and me, both 50 years old/young. We prefer to live in a community that is NOT vanilla, i.e. shopping strips/malls, chain restaurants, etc. Some character and personality to our surroundings would be desired. Our price range is up to $250,000. Would you please suggest some areas for us to consider based on the above mentioned preferences?

Also, what about bugs? Palmetto bugs? Does everyone have these disgusting things? Is one able to get rid of them or are they just a fact of life in Jax?

What about traffic. From what I read, there are more highways than not in the Jax area. Is traffic always heavy? Our travels here in PA always consists of back roads through small towns, past farms, fields, valleys, cattle grazing, etc. What do the travels in your area offer as far as scenery is concerned?

My husband's company will be sending us down to Jax this May to "check it out" before making our final decision. Would like to look at some homes while we are there and drive around to some sights of culture or whatever while we are there. Any advise would be truly appreciated.

Thanks. Terri

Old 03-27-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Robyn, if you are an example of what people in Jax are like, then, no way would I ever want to live there. And NO, this is not a mandatory job move for my husband, it's an "offer." We respect each others wants and needs and both are aware that money isn't everything. Apparently it holds much more weight for you. As for axing poetic about winter, your verbage could use some "prettying" up.
For the life of me - I don't know what set you off. Here are parts of your original message:

"Looking for some honest answers please. Have been reading blogs on this site re Jax and most are not very flattering. My husband has been offered a job transfer to Jax and I am having a difficult time accepting this option. It will be a promotion as well as pay raise but money isn't everything. However, to be fair, I am willing to consider the move and try to find out what it has to offer. "

IOW - you've heard crummy things about JAX and think you would hate the move. Look at the emoticons you used (confused - crying and roll eyes sarcastic).

"I am a small town girl at heart. We currently live in a rural town in Pennsylvania just 1 hour north of Philadelphia. I have lived in NYC, New Orleans, and Houston, so I am indeed familiar with city living. I LOVE the mountains, hills and valleys, appreciate all 4 seasons but enjoy summer the LEAST. I dislike being hot. In other words, do you think there is anything in Jax, in a social/entertainment area, that will provide me some enjoyment?"

IOW - you dislike cities - apparently suburban areas as well - dislike the heat - and want to know if JAX has any redeeming qualities.

"Also, what about bugs? Palmetto bugs? Does everyone have these disgusting things? Is one able to get rid of them or are they just a fact of life in Jax?"

IOW - you hate and are afraid of palmetto bugs (why you're picking on palmetto bugs is beyond me).

"What about traffic. From what I read, there are more highways than not in the Jax area. Is traffic always heavy? Our travels here in PA always consists of back roads through small towns, past farms, fields, valleys, cattle grazing, etc. What do the travels in your area offer as far as scenery is concerned?"

IOW - you don't like driving in urban or suburban areas.

Given what you said about your likes/dislikes (which appears to be pretty much everything about where we live - I could take offense at that - but I believe in "different strokes for different folks") - I think I put the best spin on things that I could. And given your seeming lack of flexibility - and your unwillingness to explore what we have to offer here with an open mind - I agree with other posters that - if you have an option - the JAX metro area wouldn't be a good fit for you. Robyn

P.S. I don't think anyone should make an important life decision based on what a stranger writes on a chat board. But I kind of think you had your mind made up before I wrote a word.

P.P.S. Money may not be everything - but promotion + pay raise + no state income tax (Pennsylvania is 3+% on just about every dollar of income) is nothing to sneeze at IMO.

Last edited by Robyn55; 03-27-2010 at 05:36 PM..

Old 03-27-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
I agree with Jagfag. I don't think Jax would be a good fit. I say that as someone who has really tried to like it here. But some realities of living here can overshadow one's overall experience.

As you do not like it to be hot, you could end up being an unhappy camper for much of the year. I have lived all over Florida and think that Jax's heat is one of the most oppressive*. But it is exactly Jax's heat that some are drawn to.

* Living near the beach would be a different story, I'm sure.

Good luck in your search.
I've always lived on/near the water in Florida (east coast). Find that the difference in the summer between near the water and somewhat inland and central Florida is the difference between hot - really hot and unbearable (I've always pitied those parents taking kids to Orlando in August!).

I really do believe in that "different strokes for different folks" thing. And that no place is perfect. I'll never get a Bloomingdale's in JAX - but the golf is great. And not only do I play golf more than I shop - but I can shop on line - hard to play golf on line . The traffic is certainly better than the traffic was in Miami (although not as laid back as it was when we first moved to the area) - and I can actually have a house here without being afraid of crime (in my driveway or in a home invasion robbery). If I had one wish that would be granted about this area - it would be for better air service (my husband and I travel a fair amount - and there really aren't a lot of non-stop flights to anywhere). Robyn

Old 03-27-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
BTW - I had never heard of a recreational therapist before. Looked it up. Do you work at a school - in a nursing home - or in some other kind of place? I don't think the school system in Duval County is the best place in the world to work - but we have some excellent SNFs here.

Oh - as for the positive feedback - where is that written? I mean if someone told me his or her primary recreational interest was downhill skiing - I don't think I'd recommend anywhere in JAX - or Florida (highest elevation about 200 feet with no snow). My husband once met an exchange student from Norway at UNF - Bjorner. When he filled out his form - he said his primary interest was downhill skiing. So TPTB placed him with a family in Palatka. I hope those of us here give people better information/guidance than that! Robyn

Old 03-27-2010, 06:53 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
Well said. Most of the reasons that I am leaving are the same reasons that others are coming to the area.

I've seen and experienced more crime here than in a lifetime living in Broward County. A young man is in jail today for attempting to rob my son at gunpoint at an ATM. They gave him three years. //www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...y-warning.html Many more anecdotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I've always lived on/near the water in Florida (east coast). Find that the difference in the summer between near the water and somewhat inland and central Florida is the difference between hot - really hot and unbearable (I've always pitied those parents taking kids to Orlando in August!).

I really do believe in that "different strokes for different folks" thing. And that no place is perfect. I'll never get a Bloomingdale's in JAX - but the golf is great. And not only do I play golf more than I shop - but I can shop on line - hard to play golf on line . The traffic is certainly better than the traffic was in Miami (although not as laid back as it was when we first moved to the area) - and I can actually have a house here without being afraid of crime (in my driveway or in a home invasion robbery). If I had one wish that would be granted about this area - it would be for better air service (my husband and I travel a fair amount - and there really aren't a lot of non-stop flights to anywhere). Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville