Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 06:39 PM

35 posts, read 86,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I think Duval County may be bigger than New Hampshire .
You're so funny, and probably right, LOL.

Quote:
Almost 2 hours by bus. Anyway - you can play around with the website - and see what you think.
Oh, I've already been studying their website, trust me!! It's a cool website, and the transit system seems thorough yet complicated...but the website offers a spot where it'll "plan your trip" by giving them the starting point and the destination, which for someone new will come in VERY HANDY! I'm impressed at least.

Quote:
It is frequently less expensive to hire a car from a limo service
So there are car services like in NYC? Cool...

Regarding health care, I saw on google that IDK, So. Baptist Hosp or something like that, had really poor reviews...out of all the hospitals in the Jacksonville area, where do you feel the best care is provided? It seems like Jax has several to choose from, Shands is a hospital too, right?? Learning so much from you guys. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 09:07 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nboeck View Post
You're so funny, and probably right, LOL.

Oh, I've already been studying their website, trust me!! It's a cool website, and the transit system seems thorough yet complicated...but the website offers a spot where it'll "plan your trip" by giving them the starting point and the destination, which for someone new will come in VERY HANDY! I'm impressed at least.

So there are car services like in NYC? Cool...

Regarding health care, I saw on google that IDK, So. Baptist Hosp or something like that, had really poor reviews...out of all the hospitals in the Jacksonville area, where do you feel the best care is provided? It seems like Jax has several to choose from, Shands is a hospital too, right?? Learning so much from you guys. Thanks.
I'm not going to repeat recent Florida Times Union articles. People can look them up on their own. Except to comment that Shands is the public inner city hospital here. With a level 3 trauma center. Like all similar hospitals - it has its good points - and bad points. If I wanted to go to Shands in a non-emergency situation - I'd go to Shands in Gainesville.

For the most part - people use doctors perhaps 100 times more than they use hospitals. So establishing relationships with doctors is more important than learning about hospitals IMO (until you need a hospital). The only footnote to this is if one has a condition that may require surgery in the near future - you have to look into the places where doctors you pick have privileges (assuming that doctor would be the doctor who'd be doing surgery).

As far as my husband and I are concerned - we have little experience with hospitals considering we have almost 130 life years between the 2 of us. I once had emergency surgery at Jackson Memorial Hospital when we lived in Miami. My husband once had emergency surgery at Yale-New Haven Hospital when we were visiting my mother after *her* surgery there. We once went to Mayo Rochester for a surgical opinion. And I am having some GYN surgery at Mayo here this summer. But if someone told me tomorrow that I had pancreatic cancer - I might well wind up at MD Anderson - or who knows where? There is no "one size fits all" IMO - although there are certain hospitals I've encountered over the years where I wouldn't take my dog to get a pedicure. Hard to choose a hospital before you know what services you need at a hospital. Robyn

P.S. My late FIL did have 2 complicated cancer surgeries at Mayo before he died - and I was impressed with the hospital (although that was the old Mayo - at St. Lukes - now Mayo has its own hospital on the Mayo campus).

P.P.S. What is IDK?

Old 04-20-2010, 09:34 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,569,817 times
I say Jax Beach Atlantic Beach area.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:50 PM

Hey Robyn55:

Quote:
P.P.S. What is IDK?

It means "I don't know"...by the way since we're asking each other our lingo, what does IMO mean, I see you use it a lot...thx

Old 04-28-2010, 06:10 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nboeck View Post
Hey Robyn55:

It means "I don't know"...by the way since we're asking each other our lingo, what does IMO mean, I see you use it a lot...thx
IMO = in my opinion. IMHO = in my humble opinion. Robyn

Old 04-29-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
IMO = in my opinion. IMHO = in my humble opinion. Robyn
Thanks, I've seen it around a lot. Nancy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville