Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 08:04 AM

6 posts, read 17,890 times

Advertisements

We are considering a potential family move to Florida. We have 3 children (18 , 15, and 6 year old). Looking for good family area, schools(?), access to major highways, good medical care, and beach. My husband's job does not require any particular location - he is in sales a covers several states. After reading several threads, looks like Jacksonville area is at top of our list. We will be looking for 4 bdr home in mid 300's. Recommendations? Orange Park, Ponte Vedra Beach? Others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 08:46 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,205,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karinok View Post
We are considering a potential family move to Florida. We have 3 children (18 , 15, and 6 year old). Looking for good family area, schools(?), access to major highways, good medical care, and beach. My husband's job does not require any particular location - he is in sales a covers several states. After reading several threads, looks like Jacksonville area is at top of our list. We will be looking for 4 bdr home in mid 300's. Recommendations? Orange Park, Ponte Vedra Beach? Others?
PVB is very nice, it is not the most convienient place for commuting, and @350k you'd be at the low end of the range for homes here, there are many homes at that level, but they aren't the best homes, YMMV

Old 06-03-2007, 09:52 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,128,548 times
I agree with kort
check out the southside 9a area you can get a 4 bdrm in the mid 300s
lol there is a home in my subdivision that is 2500 sq ft 4 bdrms 3 baths in your price range , next to "A" ele & middle school, 12 miles to the beach
lol if you promise you will take good care of your lawn I can give you more info

karla

Old 06-03-2007, 03:43 PM

Thanks for the info. When you say "southside 9a" are you talking about the areas like St. Augustine and Fruit Cove or more North of there? (Sorry, I just don't know that much about the city.) Your subdivision sounds like just about what we are looking for in terms of housing. How are the schools?
Everyone seems to be kind of negative about the schools, but some of them are ranked pretty highly by Greatschools.net. Coming from the Northeast, I am not sure what to expect. I really would like to go the public school route, but I understand there are some excellent private schools in the area.
Also, a bit off topic, how hard is it to get homeowners insurance? Is it terribly expensive? We hear so much about the hurricanes and storms, that it's a bit intimidating.

Old 06-03-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. When you say "southside 9a" are you talking about the areas like St. Augustine and Fruit Cove or more North of there? (Sorry, I just don't know that much about the city.) Your subdivision sounds like just about what we are looking for in terms of housing. How are the schools?
Everyone seems to be kind of negative about the schools, but some of them are ranked pretty highly by Greatschools.net. Coming from the Northeast, I am not sure what to expect. I really would like to go the public school route, but I understand there are some excellent private schools in the area.
Also, a bit off topic, how hard is it to get homeowners insurance? Is it terribly expensive? We hear so much about the hurricanes and storms, that it's a bit intimidating.
public schools in JAX are hit and miss, some are ok some are bad, there are a couple of very highly rated and competitive "magnet" high schools and I would make sure my kids went to one of those. Schools in St. Johns are a bit better as long as you stay in the northern part of the county. There are a couple of excellent private schools and some good schools run by episcopalians, baptists and catholics, if you're concerned about the public schools these would be a good alternative.
Homeowners insurance is available but it might be costly, see me in a week, I'll be shopping for a policy this week.

Old 06-03-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
atlantic is a long way to go, try looking on southside, everything you need should be close by, to get there take 210 to rt1, go north about 6 miles or so and southside(115) will be on your right, the avenues mall is right there and if you continue north on southside most of your needs should be met.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:16 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,128,548 times
Quote:
here is a link of a map that shows the 9a area
Point Meadows Dr, Jacksonville, FL 32256, USA - Google Maps
The schools in St Johns are good. There are good schools in Jax but you want to check which one for the areas you are looking for.
We pay about $957 a year for homeowners ins. Some companies are not writing new policies but a friend of mine is buying a house and he found that if you get a renters ins policy along with car ins it is easier to switch it to a home owners policy, It is one of those "loop holes"
I will send you a PM with soem more info.
karla

Old 06-04-2007, 03:08 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,469,061 times
Quote:
Hi Karinok,

For a home budget of mid-$300's you have a lot of choices. Orange Park and Ponte Vedra Beach are 2 very different places.

If you are priced out of Ponte Vedra for the reasons Kort mentioned above, you can come inland just a bit - just a couple of miles - and you'd be suprised at how much home you can buy and still have excellent beach proximity.

The Southside area mentioned below by MyFask is a great area, you can also expand your search to the Intracoastal West area. Intracoastal West was formerly lumped in under the general 'Southside' name, but is a fast-growinng area that now garners it's own name.

If you were to look on a map, IW is just to the north and east of where Myfask has pointed out to you. It is located roughly halfway between Downtown and the Ocean (closer to the Ocean), east of 9A and west of the Intracoastal waterway.

I live in IW, I am 6 miles in from the ocean, have tons of shopping & everything nearby including the new St. Johns Town Center which is right down the road from me, my elementary and middle school are both A-rated (not my high school though...but they're building a second one to alleviate the overcrowding), and the homes are in the style and price range you mentioned. Many resales are available where the homes are just 3, 4, 5 years old and lots of brand new construction too. Check 32246 and surrounding zips.

The homeowner's insurance has become a bit of headache, but you'll get insured. Just stay out of flood zones (be sure the house you want to buy is in Flood Zone 'X') and you should not have a problem. The price should not be too bad as long as you are not right at the Ocean (then you will pay a lot more than what Myfask stated).

Old 06-07-2007, 07:50 AM

Thanks for your input. I have "looked" at all of the areas you are bringing up and they all look very promising. Any ideas when the new high school in IW is scheduled to open?
Also, this may sound silly, but I have no idea how the magnet schools work. Do you have to apply and take a test to get in? Is there a lottery? We come from an area with a great public school system so we have never had to consider other options.
Anyone have any input on the Fruit Cove area?

Old 06-07-2007, 12:08 PM

301 posts, read 1,062,744 times
I live in the Fruit Cove area... zip 32259. St Johns county's schools are highly rated. Julington Creek/Fruit Cove area is a great family oriented area, a great place to raise a family. You will have a lot to choose from in that price range. There is new construction going on in Durbin crossing and Aberdeen or you can get a preexisting home in Julington Creek Plantation. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville