Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 06:42 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times

Advertisements

I am leaving Jax by the end of the month, but my kids will stay through May to finish the school year. Would like to find the following:

Storage for up to three months-
* how to determine what size is needed?
* do I need climate control if only for two- three months? kids' computer will stay in our place until they move down, have leather sofa and chair that must be stored. The storage facilities that I have found with climate control are all on upper levels
* any places near I-295 and San Jose that are one-story, where I could just back a truck up to the storage unit? The three closest to me are the multi-level places. I'm hoping to find old-time storage- the long strip mall kind of units.

Help to do heavy lifting- can pay or barter (washer, dryer, portable basketball hoop, teenager in good condition )
* will be moving out in two phases- downstairs- LR, kitchen, master BR and garage stuff going to storage in a week(ish!) and upstairs- two bedrooms going out in two months
* about ten thousand boxes of books, give or take a thousand
* then, in 2 months, will need help loading a rental truck for the final trip south

I have four pieces that are really heavy- my sofa and an old, wooden shelf/storage piece to go to storage now and a refrigerator and TV to go in two months. Refrigerator may not go- depends on if I end up with a place that has a separate studio apartment attached and/or if someone wants to barter.

Closest place to take documents for shredding
* will have a couple dozen boxes of documents to shred. My shredder died this weekend and I just want to take them all to one place and make them go away.

To sweeten the deal, for those who will work for food, I live near a Renna's pizza and I'll buy........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 04:02 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,121,439 times
LOL at working for food. Sorry mama but that was funny

Old 03-23-2010, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
LOL at working for food. Sorry mama but that was funny
That was meant to be. I am actually going to pay to have the things moved. I've since gotten the labor in place. Went to a storage facility yesterday and the unit they showed me had fleas in it...

Also found out yesterday that I can't get a background check quickly for the couple that will be moving in to my place, so it looks as though I will hang in Jax until the end of the school year.

I'm sure that there is a reason for this snag in the plan. Will just keep rowing toward the destination, but more slowly.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:22 AM

859 posts, read 3,618,531 times
For shredding documents, besides going to the few shredding companies we have in town, try calling the nearest office supply store like Staples, Office Depot, Office Max. See if they have big shredder you can use there, but you should watch it get shredded.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:29 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,503,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
Also found out yesterday that I can't get a background check quickly for the couple that will be moving in to my place, so it looks as though I will hang in Jax until the end of the school year.

Just curious why not. Is this a simple rental situation? I can get my rental applicants done in less than a day, sometimes.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:37 AM

They were going to take care of my kids until school is out in exchange for free rent, so the check would be for criminal, not credit issues. I feel really bad, BC they are a really nice couple. But I wouldn't leave my car with someone without verifying a drivers license, so not background check is non-negotiable.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:06 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,736,562 times
When I first read your post I thought it was just a gag. But since you are seriously looking for people to help with heavy lifting, you might want to round up some of the folks I see standing on about every other corner with signs: "Looking for work" or "Will work for food". They are all over the place.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
When I first read your post I thought it was just a gag. But since you are seriously looking for people to help with heavy lifting, you might want to round up some of the folks I see standing on about every other corner with signs: "Looking for work" or "Will work for food". They are all over the place.
Uhhhhh, that would be a NO!.

I actually have found two guys who will help us for $10 an hour each. But thanks for the suggestion!

Old 03-28-2010, 08:47 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
I am leaving Jax by the end of the month, but my kids will stay through May to finish the school year. Would like to find the following:

Storage for up to three months-
* how to determine what size is needed?
* do I need climate control if only for two- three months? kids' computer will stay in our place until they move down, have leather sofa and chair that must be stored. The storage facilities that I have found with climate control are all on upper levels
* any places near I-295 and San Jose that are one-story, where I could just back a truck up to the storage unit? The three closest to me are the multi-level places. I'm hoping to find old-time storage- the long strip mall kind of units.

Help to do heavy lifting- can pay or barter (washer, dryer, portable basketball hoop, teenager in good condition )
* will be moving out in two phases- downstairs- LR, kitchen, master BR and garage stuff going to storage in a week(ish!) and upstairs- two bedrooms going out in two months
* about ten thousand boxes of books, give or take a thousand
* then, in 2 months, will need help loading a rental truck for the final trip south

I have four pieces that are really heavy- my sofa and an old, wooden shelf/storage piece to go to storage now and a refrigerator and TV to go in two months. Refrigerator may not go- depends on if I end up with a place that has a separate studio apartment attached and/or if someone wants to barter.

Closest place to take documents for shredding
* will have a couple dozen boxes of documents to shred. My shredder died this weekend and I just want to take them all to one place and make them go away.

To sweeten the deal, for those who will work for food, I live near a Renna's pizza and I'll buy........
Can't help you with everything. But some random thoughts. I use Shred-It every couple of years for shredding. Truck with commercial shredder comes to your house. Minimum charge is about $60 - but that covers about 8-10 banker's boxes worth of stuff. Worth it IMO.

You do need climate controlled storage - especially as we go into the summer months.

Give away all but your most favorite books. To the local library. Perhaps some are worth selling on Ebay - but the vast majority won't be. Robyn

Old 03-28-2010, 08:49 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
And the minute they lift something heavy and "throw out their back" - they'll sue you. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville