Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 09:42 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,285,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
No, the OP is right, some models of Jags DO have a reputation for fires, due to cracking fuel supply hoses and the ignition system. The XJ6 and the XJS from the mid 80's to mid 90's had these problems, with the V12 models having these problems most. I've seen a few fireballed Jags in my day. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say Jags have a worse reputation for fires than some other makes, but considering they didn't make that many Jags vs Honda for example, it's probably got a ring of truth to it.
My point is, all cars can burn down, but the rate of fires is still rare regardless of brand. For every picture someone posts of a Jag burning down, I can post a mainstream car on fire, as well. We did Hondas, here are some more:

camry:

Nissan:

Mercedes:

I can go on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 09:47 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,090,187 times
You're missing my and the OP's point. If Jaguar made 100,000 cars and 100 of them caught on fire, that would be a lot worse than Honda building 1,000,000 cars and 100 of them caught on fire.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
You're missing my and the OP's point. If Jaguar made 100,000 cars and 100 of them caught on fire, that would be a lot worse than Honda building 1,000,000 cars and 100 of them caught on fire.
IF that were the case, but MY point is that's NOT the case. So far, we have one or two cases, not hundreds. And one or two cases do not a trend make. Get it?

Old 08-20-2013, 12:16 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Looks like Jaguars can still have engine fires (as could any car I suppose). Jaguars were well known for engine fires over the past several decades, hopefully this is not a trend that will repeat itself. Sad to see such a $$$$$$ car still having this problem, especially a new one. This one appears to have started in the engine bay.

This actor barely got of this one alive... this link is from our local CBS station, but other online sources show this was a late model Jaguar sedan...
Scary stuff for any vehicle, Tennesseestorm . . . however, as you are pointing out, Jaguar's track record is even scarier regardless of who happens to be driving.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Scary stuff for any vehicle, Tennesseestorm . . . however, as you are pointing out, Jaguar's track record is even scarier regardless of who happens to be driving.

Neither of my '80s Jags burned down, and both with well over 150k miles on them. There are a lot of them out there with a lot of miles that also have not burned down. The point is, car fires are actually quite rare in comparison to how many cars are on the road at any given time. Though the total seems high, it's only 0.1% of the cars on the road catch fire, usually in an accident, and usually older cars. Car fires also account for only 1% of automotive fatalities (about 380 of the 38k annual fatalities). You stand as good a chance at winning the lottery.

Last edited by Merc63; 08-20-2013 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: forgot a decimal point.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:32 PM

9,821 posts, read 11,540,655 times
Dick van Dyke is still Alive

Old 08-20-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
IF that were the case, but MY point is that's NOT the case. So far, we have one or two cases, not hundreds. And one or two cases do not a trend make. Get it?
Riiight. Just one or two cases.

And yes, Jags have a greater reputation for catching on fire than other makes do. There's PLENTY of cases of this happening, just because you don't know about them doesn't make your opinion valid, or even correct.

There's even websites devoted to reasons why they catch on fire, as well as fixes.

V12 Jaguars Prone to Engine Fires - Be prepared!

Jaguar ENGINE FIRES on Series III XJ6 and the XJS Jaguars

Jaguar V12 Engine Fires

xjs v12 engine fire - Jaguar, Land Rover, Mini Cooper Message Board

Old 08-20-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Riiight. Just one or two cases.

And yes, Jags have a greater reputation for catching on fire than other makes do. There's PLENTY of cases of this happening, just because you don't know about them doesn't make your opinion valid, or even correct.

There's even websites devoted to reasons why they catch on fire, as well as fixes.

V12 Jaguars Prone to Engine Fires - Be prepared!

Jaguar ENGINE FIRES on Series III XJ6 and the XJS Jaguars

Jaguar V12 Engine Fires

xjs v12 engine fire - Jaguar, Land Rover, Mini Cooper Message Board
Old jags, not the new ones. Again, we on't have any indication that new jags are burning down at any appreciable rate, do we?

And again, you haven't yet posted RATES that even the OLD ones burned down at.

Here's an interesting statement from one of the sites you listed: "Jaguar engine fires are predominantly caused by old/cracked/worn out, fuel injection hose" A problem that can affect ANY older car that is poorly maintained, and NOT endemic to Jaguars.

From another link you posted "An excellent maintenance tip is to inspect the fuel injection hoses that connect the fuel rail to the injectors. This is usually where V12 fires originate. A leak develops in the hose, either by age, or wear" So again, 30 year old hoses that may be cracked.

From a third link: "If you have a Marelli ignition, only use the factory cap and rotor, even though they are more expensive than the aftermarket parts. The aftermarket parts are of significantly inferior quality, and can't handle the electrical current. These parts will eventually burn through and cause an engine fire "

So now it's aftermarket parts that cause fires, not factory parts. Again, hardly an idictment of Jaguar quality.

The last, talking about early '80s XJ12s was "Historically the first Jaguar's had fires because one of the hoses to the injectors fail. The Early distributers were not ventilated and ignited the fuel. This was the result of old hoses and probably owner neglect."

So we're talking about specific Jaguars of a specific era (all of which are at least 30 years old now and probably on their original hoses) with old and worn out parts, and not about anything NEWER than the early '80s.

Maybe you ought to try thinking instead of typing.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Old jags, not the new ones. Again, we on't have any indication that new jags are burning down at any appreciable rate, do we?

And again, you haven't yet posted RATES that even the OLD ones burned down at.
This isn't the first time I've noticed your reading and comprehension skills are a bit lacking. Neither I nor the OP said anything about NEW Jags you boob. We are maintaining that they have a reputation for catching on fire... far more than a Honda, or Toyota, or any other stupid make/model picture of car you can post that you think makes a point. (It doesn't.) The links posted show that a LOT of Jags (just 1 or 2, according to you!) have caught fire.

Quote:
Maybe you ought to try thinking instead of typing.
If you took your own advice, you might be able to get on the same page as the rest of us. Until then, you can argue with... yourself. At least you'll be on the same level as that guy.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:46 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
GM recalls 200K SUVs for fire risk:
GM recalls 200K more SUVs for fire risk

Ford recalls 390K 2013 year vehicles for fire risk:
Ford recalls 390,783 cars and SUVs for fuel leak that raise fire risk - latimes.com

Chrysler recalls 2.7M Jeep brand vehicles for fire risk:
Chrysler recalls Jeeps for fire risk - Autoweek

BMW recalls X5 models for fire risk:
BMW X5 xDrive35d Recalled for Fire Hazard | AutoGuide.com News

GM recalls 475K vehicles for fire risk (30 caught fire):
Epic Fail! GM Recalls 500,00 Cruze Cars Over Engine Fire Risk ~ J O S H U A P U N D I T

Honda recalls 143K Fit cars for fire risk:
Honda recalls 143,000 cars again for potential fire hazard | Reuters

Lamborghini recalls Gallardo over fire risk:
Lamborghini recalling cars due to risk of fire

Last edited by hoffdano; 08-20-2013 at 02:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar