Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 02:29 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,075,440 times

Advertisements

Considering that modern Jags share nothing with the old ones but the emblem, any evidence showing that older jags posed a significant fire risk has zero bearing on the modern ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 03:44 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,090,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
GM recalls 200K SUVs for fire risk:
GM recalls 200K more SUVs for fire risk

Ford recalls 390K 2013 year vehicles for fire risk:
Ford recalls 390,783 cars and SUVs for fuel leak that raise fire risk - latimes.com

Chrysler recalls 2.7M Jeep brand vehicles for fire risk:
Chrysler recalls Jeeps for fire risk - Autoweek

BMW recalls X5 models for fire risk:
BMW X5 xDrive35d Recalled for Fire Hazard | AutoGuide.com News

GM recalls 475K vehicles for fire risk (30 caught fire):
Epic Fail! GM Recalls 500,00 Cruze Cars Over Engine Fire Risk ~ J O S H U A P U N D I T

Honda recalls 143K Fit cars for fire risk:
Honda recalls 143,000 cars again for potential fire hazard | Reuters

Lamborghini recalls Gallardo over fire risk:
Lamborghini recalling cars due to risk of fire
I see your fire risk posts, and raise you...

2010-'12 Jaguar XF Recalled for Fire Risk

Jaguar recalls their cars NOW, because they already know what bad PR it is to have their cars go up in smoke. They never recalled any of the 80's/90's cars AFAIK, and if you don't fix a problem, it only gets worse, as Jag owners found out.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Considering that modern Jags share nothing with the old ones but the emblem, any evidence showing that older jags posed a significant fire risk has zero bearing on the modern ones.
Is 2010-2012 modern enough for you? The difference is that they are voluntarily recalling their cars these days before they catch fire, as they should.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:00 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,075,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Is 2010-2012 modern enough for you? The difference is that they are voluntarily recalling their cars these days before they catch fire, as they should.
They aren't the first or the last two recall a vehicle for such an issue. Unless you can cite a significant number of instances of current generation products burning to the ground then you can't prove that this is a significant issue. At this point I've seen a total of 2 modern Jags (an F type and an XJ) that went up in flames.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
They aren't the first or the last two recall a vehicle for such an issue. Unless you can cite a significant number of instances of current generation products burning to the ground then you can't prove that this is a significant issue. At this point I've seen a total of 2 modern Jags (an F type and an XJ) that went up in flames.
That is not the argument here, at all. Jags have a reputation built on PAST models for catching on fire, as the OP alluded to. Personally, I doubt it's a significant issue in the newer cars, because consumers are a helluva lot smarter these days, and have access to a lot more information about cars. For what people pay for a Jaguar, they'd better be getting a good car that doesn't blow up! If Jag can't do that, they'd go belly up pretty quickly as people would buy a different brand of luxury car.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:08 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,122,044 times
All those Honda-burning pictures posted were due to burning Jaguars crashing into them!

Old 08-20-2013, 11:02 PM

251 posts, read 522,719 times
Quote:

Yes, but noting models from 30, 40 years ago (XJS, V12, etc...) makes for much more drama...

Old 08-21-2013, 12:35 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,011,701 times
Wow. I think that I've lost a couple of IQ points just by virtue of having read some of the nonsense posted in this thread.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,960 times
And, apart from 'everybody says', where are the statistics for an exceptional number of fires in the ones from 30 years ago?

In the mid-nineties, I searched out actual death rates per passenger mile for vehicles in the US and Europe. I managed to extract data from two sites. (Unfortunately, it's much more difficult to find such data today.)

I was surprised, the safest car in both the US and Europe was the Jaguar XJ40. (Incidentally, in the US, I think the Chevy Caprice came second.) Volvos and BMWs, though perceived as safe, weren't near the top of the list.

The point is that a few high profile headlines are close to meaningless.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:44 PM

7,772 posts, read 6,378,272 times
In the 70s and 80s a number of cars burned after the govt mandated reformulated fuel which was not compatible with the hoses that connected to the fuel injectors. Gas under pressure when ignited creates a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar