Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 12:46 PM

943 posts, read 3,159,211 times

Advertisements

Hello again from the friendly recruiter.

I just got done reading the other thread from people who say there are no jobs out there. I got so frustrated that I had to move on and start my own post.

Yes, if you live in a manufacturing town in a place like small town Michigan, and need a good union position at $50 an hour, then you are right there are few if any jobs for you.

But if you live in a major American City with a college degree and job skills there are still many jobs out there. Here in Northern VA the unemployment rate is about 5%. Most of the people who are unemployed are generally new immigrants trying to learn English and understand the world of work here in America, or people who have few job skills.

Myself and the rest of the recruiters at my company are constantly shocked how poor the average person's resume is and how poorly they sell themselves in the job interview. It is a real shame because they spent years going to college, worked hard in their chosen career and spent many hours in seminars, workshops and professional association meetings.

I get the same feedback from people who work with us at employment agencies. Most candidates never seem to know that the Library is full of great books about job hunting.

Please see my other postings about all the mistakes most candidates make and why they are still unemployed!

Last edited by Weekend Traveler; 04-24-2009 at 01:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 12:50 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,124,830 times
Thanks again for your insight!

If you have any real jobs please place them on my 10 employes plus thread down below.

And yes, Virginia here i come. I sent two inquiries to that fair state last night!!

i am hoping they will consider me, even though i have not found a place to live.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:54 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Thanks again for your insight!

If you have any real jobs please place them on my 10 employes plus thread down below.

And yes, Virginia here i come. I sent two inquiries to that fair state last night!!

i am hoping they will consider me, even though i have not found a place to live.
Good luck to you--just be really careful to research housing costs and commute times in northern VA before accepting a position/salary. It's a very expensive place to live with horrendous traffic.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:02 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,124,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Good luck to you--just be really careful to research housing costs and commute times in northern VA before accepting a position/salary. It's a very expensive place to live with horrendous traffic.

Thanks Annerk!!

I will look into the Virgina housing costs on Craigs list for an idea. I have checked out D.C., and Maryland, but not northern Virginia. But I am very easily pleased and will do anything!! to get a patent paralegal job!

What i liked was that there were actually jobs, with employers willing to pay you a decent salary. Philadephia appears to be low balling people!

cheers!

Old 04-24-2009, 01:11 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Thanks Annerk!!

I will look into the Virgina housing costs on Craigs list for an idea. I have checked out D.C., and Maryland, but not northern Virginia. But I am very easily pleased and will do anything!! to get a patent paralegal job!

What i liked was that there were actually jobs, with employers willing to pay you a decent salary. Philadephia appears to be low balling people!

cheers!
I think you'll find Northern VA even more expensive than MD and DC. Eek!

Old 07-10-2010, 01:33 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Hello again from the friendly recruiter.

I just got done reading the other thread from people who say there are no jobs out there. I got so frustrated that I had to move on and start my own post.

Yes, if you live in a manufacturing town in a place like small town Michigan, and need a good union position at $50 an hour, then you are right there are few if any jobs for you.

But if you live in a major American City with a college degree and job skills there are still many jobs out there. Here in Northern VA the unemployment rate is about 5%. Most of the people who are unemployed are generally new immigrants trying to learn English and understand the world of work here in America, or people who have few job skills.

Myself and the rest of the recruiters at my company are constantly shocked how poor the average person's resume is and how poorly they sell themselves in the job interview. It is a real shame because they spent years going to college, worked hard in their chosen career and spent many hours in seminars, workshops and professional association meetings.

I get the same feedback from people who work with us at employment agencies. Most candidates never seem to know that the Library is full of great books about job hunting.

Please see my other postings about all the mistakes most candidates make and why they are still unemployed!
And the mistake EMPLOYERS and RECRUITERS make is refusing to hire the unemployed. There are plenty of top talent that remain unemployed though no fault of their own, but yet they are being overlooked by unscrupulous employers and recruiters. Being ridiculously picky sure isn't going to get the unemployment numbers down.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:58 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
No, I think the unemployed should be melted down to be used as candle wax. Even standing in their shadow gives me a wrong vibe, and I'm forced to return home and shower for hours ending up laying in a fetal position sobbing with water jetting off me.

Is there really enough food? If not, think unemployed. What are they contributing? Don't get me wrong it should be done respectfully, but let's handle this problem now while they are weaker and lack organization.

Who's with me?

Old 07-10-2010, 03:42 PM

874 posts, read 1,659,380 times
Can you give us a few tips Weekend Traveler? I think being unemployed makes it more difficult to feel confident in your abilities and that can show up in the interview and make people interview badly. Resumes tend to make me personally overanalyze because there's no one way to do it correctly.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:46 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
No, I think the unemployed should be melted down to be used as candle wax. Even standing in their shadow gives me a wrong vibe, and I'm forced to return home and shower for hours ending up laying in a fetal position sobbing with water jetting off me.

Is there really enough food? If not, think unemployed. What are they contributing? Don't get me wrong it should be done respectfully, but let's handle this problem now while they are weaker and lack organization.

Who's with me?
A lot of politicians. They have not yet taken the measures you suggest but have taken the first step by cutting off their benefits. And they seem secure that the voters won't sentence them to the same fate in November.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:14 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
Can you give us a few tips Weekend Traveler? I think being unemployed makes it more difficult to feel confident in your abilities and that can show up in the interview and make people interview badly. Resumes tend to make me personally overanalyze because there's no one way to do it correctly.
Your resume could be perfect, but they will find something wrong with it to knock you out of the running. Employers want robots working for them these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search