Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 07:37 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times

Advertisements

New RNs find job market tight

By Alison Young, USA TODAY

Even as a national nursing shortage looms, many newly graduated registered nurses can't find jobs because the recession has delayed retirement of experienced nurses, regulators and health care associations say.

Those who find work often can't get the better-paying hospital positions they'd hoped for and instead are turning to nursing homes, home health care or other settings, says Carylin Holsey, president of the National Student Nurses' Association.

Read More...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 11:08 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Not surprising as hospitals are looking foe EXPERIENCED nurses, not new grads with zero practical experience. It's one of the reasons they are STILL bringing in overseas nurses.

Back in the days before grad school nurses, hospitals trained nurses and by the time they WERE nurses they already had a wealth of practical experience.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:20 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,311,408 times
This does not surprise me. We're setting ourselves up for disaster if we put off hiring young, inexperienced workers. How will they ever have the experience to take over when these older workers do retire? Oh, I almost forgot, we'll just import them from other countries. God bless this broken country!

Old 07-10-2010, 12:37 PM

244 posts, read 814,439 times
I was just talking about this with a relative of mine. She assumed that being a nurse can pretty much guarantee you a job. Unfortunately not.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:41 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
This does not surprise me. We're setting ourselves up for disaster if we put off hiring young, inexperienced workers. How will they ever have the experience to take over when these older workers do retire? Oh, I almost forgot, we'll just import them from other countries. God bless this broken country!
They'll get their experience paying their dues working crap jobs. Plenty of industries do that and it works out just fine with no jobs being imported. Example - aviation.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:19 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,382,966 times
Looks like I was right...

Old 07-10-2010, 04:03 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,311,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
They'll get their experience paying their dues working crap jobs. Plenty of industries do that and it works out just fine with no jobs being imported. Example - aviation.
I assume you're referring to crap jobs in the same field, like nurse's assistant? Because there's no way working at Starbucks or as a waitress is going to get them anywhere in the nursing field.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
I assume you're referring to crap jobs in the same field, like nurse's assistant? Because there's no way working at Starbucks or as a waitress is going to get them anywhere in the nursing field.
No I'm referring to the OP's text

Quote:
Those who find work often can't get the better-paying hospital positions they'd hoped for and instead are turning to nursing homes, home health care or other settings, says Carylin Holsey, president of the National Student Nurses' Association.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:09 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,718,012 times
This is an area I agree with you all on. Why are we bringing in foreigners for a job that is very dependent on human interaction and cultural awareness. Unless it's Canada, no country will understand American culture and thus that could cause somewhat serious issues.

As long as many nurses are being heavily subsidized by the federal government, those jobs belong to Americans... What's next, asking the Chinese if we can borrow their more experienced soldiers because the that's what we need?

Old 07-10-2010, 04:29 PM

You know, I (unfortunately) visit hospitals and doctors offices from time to time and have yet to see a foreign nurse. All are American, or at least white/asian.

The few articles I could find on importing nurses showed it occurred in a time when nurses were in extremely short supply.

In addition, one article showed that hospitals where foreign nurses worked actually paid more in wages to those imported nurses than US citizen nurses.

Finally, importing talent into the US isn't a bad thing (although I doubt, but cannot completely backup with facts as I don't know where to look, that as the nursing shortage eases we are importing even more nurses). These people pay income tax in the US and aren't undercutting American workers - on the contrary they are paid more.

Now, what is an issue is if we were outsourcing nurses, but that is just not possible with the nature of the job. You can't outsource nurses in India to take blood from a patient in Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search