Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 08:29 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,855,344 times

Advertisements

Just because you claim not to have seen any (though how you'd know is beyond me as you seem to think foreign can't include white/asian) does not mean it is not happening, in fact as late as 2009 there was the following article, part of which says -
Quote:
President Barack Obama has proposed an increase in the nursing education budget in a bid to end America’s dependence on foreign nurses, a large majority of whom come from India, China and the Philippines.
and goes on to say
Quote:
To overcome the huge shortage of nurses a bill was introduced in the US Congress last week to provide for the new category of visas for registered nurses with an annual limit of 50,000. The proposed “Nursing Relief Act of 2009″ would make it much faster and easier to bring trained nurses from Asian countries.
Obama for reducing dependence on foreign nurses

read it and weep
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 11:55 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,391,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
You know, I (unfortunately) visit hospitals and doctors offices from time to time and have yet to see a foreign nurse. All are American, or at least white/asian.

The few articles I could find on importing nurses showed it occurred in a time when nurses were in extremely short supply.

In addition, one article showed that hospitals where foreign nurses worked actually paid more in wages to those imported nurses than US citizen nurses.

Finally, importing talent into the US isn't a bad thing (although I doubt, but cannot completely backup with facts as I don't know where to look, that as the nursing shortage eases we are importing even more nurses). These people pay income tax in the US and aren't undercutting American workers - on the contrary they are paid more.

Now, what is an issue is if we were outsourcing nurses, but that is just not possible with the nature of the job. You can't outsource nurses in India to take blood from a patient in Indiana.
Yes, I'm kind of curious as to what the incentive would be to import a bunch of nurses from other countries. I can't imagine companies could legally pay them less just because they're foreigners.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:58 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,476,577 times
Um, yeah...cut reimbursements to hospitals but expect them to keep low patient-to-nurse ratios. Yeah...right.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Yes, I'm kind of curious as to what the incentive would be to import a bunch of nurses from other countries. I can't imagine companies could legally pay them less just because they're foreigners.
The main incentive is lack of experience in newly graduated American nurses I would think so they say to get experienced nurses they need to recruit overseas.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:52 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,391,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
The main incentive is lack of experience in newly graduated American nurses I would think so they say to get experienced nurses they need to recruit overseas.
Thanks, that makes more sense.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:29 AM

99 posts, read 375,906 times
Angry Special Visas

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post

The foreign nurses are brought over under special visas that are tied-in to the employer who sponsors them for the visa... so if they attempt to change employers, their sponsoring employer can place a call to the INS and have them deported immediately.

So, with a large-enough pool of trained nurses who cannot switch employers without being immediately deported, the places employing them can cut corners on just about everything to save money... accounting tricks to cheat the employees out of pay, horrible working conditions, etc... and the employees have no recourse.

If they complain, they can be fired. They can't sue, because by the time the court date came around, they'd have long-since been deported.

Basically, it's about finding trained and educated nurses who can be treated worse than unskilled laborers.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:48 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,379,329 times
The great nursing shortage is a myth. Yes you will see jobs still advertised for experienced nurses. But todays grads need 6-12 months of preceptorships to be turned loose by themselves. Hospitals can no longer afford these paid preceptorships so very few hospitals will hire new grads. A good LTC facility won't hire them either because they'd be in a supervisory position that requires experience. Some of the not so good places will hire them as they just want a body with a license and those places are really bad.

Years ago in '72 when I graduated from LPN school, we had more clinical hours than the ADN and BSN programs for RN's. The only program who graduated "ready to go RN's" were the 3 year hospital based diploma programs that have been closed down for the most part.

I've posted articals about the myth in the past.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:32 PM

99 posts, read 375,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
... Hospitals can no longer afford these paid preceptorships so very few hospitals will hire new grads...

Hospital revenue has been declining somehow? The ammonts charged by hospitals have been going down?

It's not a question of affordability, but a question of where they want the money to go.

Most hospitals are choosing to give the money as dividends to investors, rather than spend it on the training of staff.

That's not about "can no longer afford" but about "no longer desire to".

Old 07-12-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Years ago in '72 when I graduated from LPN school, we had more clinical hours than the ADN and BSN programs for RN's. The only program who graduated "ready to go RN's" were the 3 year hospital based diploma programs that have been closed down for the most part.
I remember back in Australia in the 70s/80s it was common for the large "teaching hospitals" in capital cities to have dorms for nurses who were receiving OTJ training. It was a pretty gruelling career choice back then as I understand it, work plus study and varied shifts.

Now they seem to have for the most part gone to College/Uni based grad courses for nurses which of course means when they graduate they have VERY limited practical experience.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:43 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,373,866 times
I had someone tell me that working with geriatrics and in nursing/convalescent homes is a good way to get experience. They are less likely to be picky about the years of experience there and will hire w/little or none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search