Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 03:45 PM

625 posts, read 3,635,815 times

Advertisements

Is it good or redundant to send a thank you emal after a final interview? I usually don't but I am not sure considering the dismal job market.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 04:31 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
I did for my current job. Now, I met with some additional individuals during my second interview and so for them it was their first thank-you letter. But there were two people who were also present at my first interview and they received a second letter.

I made sure that the letter was a wholly different composition than my first letter, and different for each person. I didn't just rearrange the sentences or change a few adjectives.

I don't know if it helped, but I don't think it hurt me! And it only took a few minutes to write and send.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:41 PM

did you just thank them again or what did you say because I have no idea what to write. It wasn't really an interview I just completed a kind of test to see my skill level.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:41 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Yes, I used the word's "thank you".

It was something alongt he lines of...

"Thank you again for taking time to meet with me to review my qualifications and discuss the available position in greater detail. I really enjoyed listening to your descriptions of the fascinating projects you are working on and the intricate knowledge and detail required for their execution. I believe I am up to the challenge this position presents.

I hope you will continue to consider me for this position. If you should need any additional information from me, please do not hesitate to contact me."

There were two people in my first interview and four in my second, and by the end it did get a bit difficult to think of ways to write unique letters to each of them. I think I managed to succeed in doing so by thinking how each of them were viewing the hiring process, given their different positions in the company. For example I got the impression that my (future) direct line manager was more interested in finding someone with the right personality fit for the team, whereas the owner of the company was more interested in qualifications and value for their money. So I tailored my letters accordingly. I iterated my qualifications and accomplishments to the owner, and to the line manager I wrote about my work style and enthusiasm.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:41 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Yes, I used the word's "thank you".

It was something alongt he lines of...

"Thank you again for taking time to meet with me to review my qualifications and discuss the available position in greater detail. I really enjoyed listening to your descriptions of the fascinating projects you are working on and the intricate knowledge and detail required for their execution. I believe I am up to the challenge this position presents.

I hope you will continue to consider me for this position. If you should need any additional information from me, please do not hesitate to contact me."

There were two people in my first interview and four in my second, and by the end it did get a bit difficult to think of ways to write unique letters to each of them. I think I managed to succeed in doing so by thinking how each of them were viewing the hiring process, given their different positions in the company. For example I got the impression that my (future) direct line manager was more interested in finding someone with the right personality fit for the team, whereas the owner of the company was more interested in qualifications and value for their money. So I tailored my letters accordingly. I iterated my qualifications and accomplishments to the owner, and to the line manager I wrote about my work style and enthusiasm.

That's the same way my 2nd thank you letter started. I wasn't sure if I should at the time but I did it anyway because it was the only job dragging their feet. The two other company offered me the job after 1 interview.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:56 AM

Thanks fo the advice it's been really helpful

Old 08-31-2010, 09:17 AM

1,228 posts, read 3,719,215 times
This is how mine went.

Quote:
Mr. ***,

I wanted to thank you again for taking the time today to discuss my future with ***. Based on our discussion, I am even surer than before that *** is the place where I want to grow my career. It really does seem like great things are in store for the bank, and I would certainly be honored if I were chosen to be part of them.

I realized that we never discussed my availability, I would need to give my 2 weeks notice with ***, and then about one week to relocate to ***, however, if you needed me sooner, I’m sure I could work something out.

Have a great evening, and I hope to speak with you soon.

PS – Thanks for the directions to the stadium, it was a really great area.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
This is how mine went.
Is surer a word? Did you get the job?

Old 08-31-2010, 10:41 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,487 times
When in doubt, yes. Unless you come up with a surefire, logical reason why it would hurt your chances, I'd always say go for it. If someone decides that you're too clingy because of your second follow up letter, then they aren't worth working for. That's the thing about people. We're all different, we all have different opinions about 'how to' or 'what is'. There is no perfect solution, just do what seems like the right thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search