Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:00 AM

4 posts, read 11,009 times

Advertisements

After losing my job as an Office Manager after corporate cutbacks at the start of the Great Recession I have devoted 10 hours a day to finding a new job. Thank God for unemployment insurance and savings. With a combination of savings, odd jobs and unemployment I have been able to satisfy my basic needs and not stay up at night worrying about money.

Now the unemployment is running out and I still do not have a job. I have applied at thousands of places and and sent out countless resumes, all went into a black hole. On occasion though I will get an interview and the first thing they always ask me after I sit down is what have I been doing for the last two years. I tell them I have applied at over a thousand employers and have not had any luck at finding a new job. They seem impressed with my effort but wonder why I have not been successful. A common reply is, "yes, I know how tough it is out there but I can't believe that after all that effort you have not landed something by now." Translation: they think something is wrong with me and I am rejected once again.

So what should I say to a potential employer who asks what I have been doing for the last two years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 09:09 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored and Unemployed View Post
Thank God for unemployment insurance and savings.
No. Thank you and me. Imaginary beings probably have nothing to do with it.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:11 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
I can't believe that after all that effort you have not landed something by now." Translation: they think something is wrong with me and I am rejected once again.
So, what is the reason? Why haven't you landed "something" by now? It's a natural for them to wonder (I want to know too) though it might not be a good question to ask at an interview.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:18 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,553 times
It depends where the OP is located. Maybe OP is not in a large urban area and needs a car to get to and fro interviews.Suburbia has less opportunities in general.Why not say "I'm looking for a job that will be a good fit and where my skills and background would be useful." That's a really bad question to ask and shows employer is not in touch with reality. I can't believe they would ask that. It shows a condescending attitude towards the job seeker. But you have to answer the question with confidence and grace, and not appear to be looking for sympathy.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:30 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,484,528 times
Why tell them about unemployment? Skip it. Tell them that you have been...
Quote:
cleaning people's houses, mowing lawns, shoveling snow, market research studies and odd handman jobs
...which is actually the truth, just not the whole truth.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:35 AM

4 posts, read 11,009 times
I live in a large metro area (Denver) where there are suppose to be jobs. I have sent out countless resumes and have gone to a dozen interviews and still am unemployed. I always thought I looked very atttractive and professional and communicated well. I have revised my resume countless time and worked with a couselor at the Job Service who helped me too. I just can not get hired. The competition is just to great. And being older does not help either.

I an a member of a support group of other middle aged unemployed people and they say that the question what have you been doing every day since you lost your job nearly two years ago is a very common question. Most employers understand that the job situation is lousy but stiil believe that good candidates can find a job within 6 months. If you have not found something by then you are a loser in their eyes. (Their opinion not mine)

Old 12-20-2010, 09:55 AM

18,463 posts, read 31,621,245 times
What I would really want to say is, WTF you think I am doing, ????

Collecting unemployment (because we are all entitled to it), sending out resumes, checking the paper, computer. blah blah blah.....

the.......................getting interviewed by idiots like you asking these dumb questions.....

so again, WTF you think these people are doing......

ugh !!

Old 12-20-2010, 10:01 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
No. Thank you and me. Imaginary beings probably have nothing to do with it.
With all due respect, if you're insinuating that the poster is utilizing your tax dollars to survive then maybe you should hone up on unemployment insurance and understand that it comes from employer contributions and not from Joe Blog's personal tax contributions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
So, what is the reason? Why haven't you landed "something" by now? It's a natural for them to wonder (I want to know too) though it might not be a good question to ask at an interview.
The question HAS been asked, so what's your point?

Quote:
I live in a large metro area (Denver) where there are suppose to be jobs. I have sent out countless resumes and have gone to a dozen interviews and still am unemployed. I always thought I looked very atttractive and professional and communicated well. I have revised my resume countless time and worked with a couselor at the Job Service who helped me too. I just can not get hired. The competition is just to great. And being older does not help either.

I an a member of a support group of other middle aged unemployed people and they say that the question what have you been doing every day since you lost your job nearly two years ago is a very common question. Most employers understand that the job situation is lousy but stiil believe that good candidates can find a job within 6 months. If you have not found something by then you are a loser in their eyes. (Their opinion not mine)
I feel for you but I always believed and still believe that honesty is the best policy. I would look into offering your services to other non-profits and forging relationships in those areas. Being a "member of a support group of other middle-aged unemployed people" isn't exactly a stellar reference and indicates that you sit around with each other commiserating rather than working on solutions to your plight.

Get involved with your community, do something constructive to show a prospective employer you have something to offer other than your past experience and a two year lag. Lucky dog that you've been able to withstand a two year unemployment gap as most aren't that fortunate. I wish you all the very best!

Old 12-20-2010, 10:03 AM

I agree with Nightcrawler. lol.Hysterical but so true.Only an a**hole would ask that question. When they look at the resume, they can see the person has not been employed for whatever time. If they have such major issues with that, then why bother calling in that person for an interview? Ask the stupid question over the phone. The candidate spends time and money getting to the interview only to be made to feel like a loser. It's like kicking a horse that's already down. Is that really necessary? I guess it makes the employer feel better by putting someone else down - I think it's an "ego" question. Because seriously, how are you supposed to answer that: "Yea, I screwed around for 2 years and what?" Even if someone did theoretically "screw around" is that person really going to say that? Is that what the employer wants to hear? Who is dumb enough to answer like that?

Old 12-20-2010, 10:11 AM

Getting involved with the community or "volunteering" doesn't pay the rent or put food on the table. They will use you for free work and then what, they're going to give you a paying job? C'mon. I'm not sure that's productive. It actually takes time and money away from job hunting and interviewing. The last time I volunteered was when I was in high school. It's an "academic" activity. Some creative occupations you have to volunteer when you're starting out your career' it's a common thing and they just won't pay you. Unemployed people volunteering free work just sets one up to be used and thrown away. And you seem desperate big time when you volunteer so how does that help? Just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search