Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2011, 03:22 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times

Advertisements

"Should there be ANY discrepancies contained in the information you provide, the investigation results will be reported as UNSATISFACTORY and you will not be able to be considered for any position at (company) for nine months from the date the results were returned."

They are asking me for all employment within 5 years. I had a couple of crappy jobs that I quit within 3-8 weeks during college (one was telemarketing, the other was at a supermarket).

Are they going to be able to find this information if I do not provide it to them? Or will they hold it against me if I do?

I have been at my current job for about 2 years (first job I got after college). I also worked at a bank for 10 months during college. Those are the only jobs I list on my resume. The job in question is in financial services

Last edited by GiantRutgersfan; 02-03-2011 at 03:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 04:31 PM

580 posts, read 2,293,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
"Should there be ANY discrepancies contained in the information you provide, the investigation results will be reported as UNSATISFACTORY and you will not be able to be considered for any position at (company) for nine months from the date the results were returned."

They are asking me for all employment within 5 years. I had a couple of crappy jobs that I quit within 3-8 weeks during college (one was telemarketing, the other was at a supermarket).

Are they going to be able to find this information if I do not provide it to them? Or will they hold it against me if I do?

I have been at my current job for about 2 years (first job I got after college). I also worked at a bank for 10 months during college. Those are the only jobs I list on my resume. The job in question is in financial services
Usually the only way they find out what jobs you have worked is by you telling them, but there are other ways they can find out. One way is if you have applied for any lines of credit. If they would happen to run a credit report when doing a background check, it may show up. The other way is if you were hurt on a job and received workers comp. A lot of companies will also check this as part of a background check.

Since this job you're talking about is in the financial services, it's unlikely they would check for workers comp. This is usually reserved for more physical blue collar work where you are more likely to be injured.

I wouldn't waste space on a resume listing a job I only had for 3-8 weeks. The job is probably irrelevant to the position you are seeking and even if it isn't, you haven't been there long enough to have gained any significant experience. Not to mention they might think you will work for them no longer.

Last edited by frizzo100; 02-03-2011 at 05:36 PM..

Old 02-03-2011, 04:42 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
If you are that concerned, see if there is a way you can provide that info with the paperwork for your background check. In any event, I would think that they are more interested in your professional career history than they are in small jobs you may have had while in school (unless they are directly relavent). I know I never list my old Domino's job I had in college.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:31 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
If you are that concerned, see if there is a way you can provide that info with the paperwork for your background check. In any event, I would think that they are more interested in your professional career history than they are in small jobs you may have had while in school (unless they are directly relavent). I know I never list my old Domino's job I had in college.

I just put my two most recent jobs. Hopefully it works out

Old 02-03-2011, 06:05 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,551,900 times
I like how employers want to be oh so thorough, like the Us. Govt was with their KSAs they used to have, but they still ended up with pervs, rapists, and molesters as TSA agents.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
That is purely upto them now important they think missing time is in employment.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:17 PM

27 posts, read 98,505 times
"the investigation results will be reported as UNSATISFACTORY and you will not be able to be considered for any position at (company) for nine months from the date the results were returned."

Hiring Tom: Hey, Jack? GiantRutgersFan looks like a potential candidate for this position. What's in his file that could potentially hurt his chances?

HR Jack: Well, let's see......oh boy, around 8 months and twenty days ago, he completely lied about something that just ruins his chances I'm afraid.

Hiring Tom: Darn, he was a perfect fit too. Well, back to the old draw..

HR Jack: Uh, Tom? Let a couple more weeks fly by and he's in like Flynn. Remember our absurd investigation technique regarding nine months?

Hiring Tom:.....OH YEAH, HA HA HA!!

Last edited by ThatsWhatSheSaid; 02-03-2011 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: Zombie Nazis made me edit

Old 09-21-2014, 08:12 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsWhatSheSaid View Post
"the investigation results will be reported as UNSATISFACTORY and you will not be able to be considered for any position at (company) for nine months from the date the results were returned."

Hiring Tom: Hey, Jack? GiantRutgersFan looks like a potential candidate for this position. What's in his file that could potentially hurt his chances?

HR Jack: Well, let's see......oh boy, around 8 months and twenty days ago, he completely lied about something that just ruins his chances I'm afraid.

Hiring Tom: Darn, he was a perfect fit too. Well, back to the old draw..

HR Jack: Uh, Tom? Let a couple more weeks fly by and he's in like Flynn. Remember our absurd investigation technique regarding nine months?

Hiring Tom:.....OH YEAH, HA HA HA!!
Really? So, you think they are going to hold a position open for nine months? The initial application will be rejected. A follow up application will be expected to have complete information, or it will also be rejected. It is really pretty simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search