Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 07:16 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,355 times

Advertisements

The 6 Crappiest Interview Questions - The Oatmeal

"Why do you want to work here?"

"Allow me to rephrase your question: "Please spend the next few minutes complimenting me......."."

A good read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 07:47 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,963 times
Nice!

Old 03-17-2011, 07:53 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
always my favorite was the question: Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years...

with the same reply as usual....

Hopefully laying on a beach in a Carribean Island with some cute little native boy asking to refill my pina colada while taking my lunch order.....yeah, thats what I see myself doing in the next five years.................

not working for your dumb ass in this dead end thankless job you have just offered me.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:27 AM

My favorite is "Why do you want this job?"

"Well duh, the money!"

Old 03-17-2011, 09:42 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
While I certainly agree there are some stupid interview questions, you can't always take them at face value.

For example, the "Why do you want to work here" question could show how much research the candidiate did on the company. If they give you a generic answer maybe not so much. If they give an answer that talks specifically about aspects of the company that is much better.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:13 AM

536 posts, read 1,429,255 times
^^ good post. Nobody expects you to rave about the company or position, just to say how it's a good fit for you right now, new challenges, interest in the industry, etc. Mentioning money is not a bad thing in an interview, as long as it's not the first and only thing mentioned in any given answer, and it should be in the proper context.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
While I certainly agree there are some stupid interview questions, you can't always take them at face value.

For example, the "Why do you want to work here" question could show how much research the candidiate did on the company. If they give you a generic answer maybe not so much. If they give an answer that talks specifically about aspects of the company that is much better.
Meh. I disagree, I think that you can take them at face value - that the interviewer demands more forethought and originality of the interviewee than they are capable of themselves. Let's face it, people only put up with asinine questions like this because they HAVE to.

If the interviewer wants to know how much research a candidate did on the company, the best way to get that information is to ASK it:

"We value employees who thoroughly understand problems and situations before tackling them. Because of this we like candidates who take the time to research our company before coming in for an interview. What have you learned/do you know about our organization?"

The second question tells me a lot:
1. That the company respects me enough to not ask silly questions.
2. An aspect of the culture that enables me to learn more about them and find out if we are a good fit.
3. That they value real business dialogue, not canned HR doublespeak.

The real answers to "Why do you want to work here?" are personal - Person needed a job, wanted a new job, needs to work, has a family to support, lives within commuting distance, finds the salary acceptable, has the right qualifications, needs security etc.

I'd like to see a lot more respect and honesty in the process.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:25 AM

536 posts, read 1,429,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
Meh. I disagree, I think that you can take them at face value - that the interviewer demands more forethought and originality of the interviewee than they are capable of themselves. Let's face it, people only put up with asinine questions like this because they HAVE to.

If the interviewer wants to know how much research a candidate did on the company, the best way to get that information is to ASK it:

"We value employees who thoroughly understand problems and situations before tackling them. Because of this we like candidates who take the time to research our company before coming in for an interview. What have you learned/do you know about our organization?"

The second question tells me a lot:
1. That the company respects me enough to not ask silly questions.
2. An aspect of the culture that enables me to learn more about them and find out if we are a good fit.
3. That they value real business dialogue, not canned HR doublespeak.

The real answers to "Why do you want to work here?" are personal - Person needed a job, wanted a new job, needs to work, has a family to support, lives within commuting distance, finds the salary acceptable, has the right qualifications, needs security etc.

I'd like to see a lot more respect and honesty in the process.
Just because you think the questions are asinine, doesn't make them so, hate to break it to you.

And btw, feel free to answer 'money' or any of the above in your last paragraph, and we'll see if you ever get a call back. What you fail to realize is that they are not asking why you want A job, it's why you want THIS job, with THIS company.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post
Just because you think the questions are asinine, doesn't make them so, hate to break it to you.

And btw, feel free to answer 'money' or any of the above in your last paragraph, and we'll see if you ever get a call back. What you fail to realize is that they are not asking why you want A job, it's why you want THIS job, with THIS company.
Of course I realize what people THINK they are asking and frankly it shows a poor grasp of the english language and a lazy approach to hunting for an employee.

If you actually want a good answer, ask a good question. If you want someone to demonstrate that they understand your business ask them to. It isn't rocket science.

And FYI, I'm in professional sales with multi-million $ quotas. My job REQUIRES good verbal communication skills or I wouldn't be in it for long. I went through a 5 interview process to get this position and what I liked about it was that every interview involved plain language with the goal of hiring someone who was a good fit for the organization and other employees. Surprise surprise, my employers treat me like an actual human being, just like during the interviews.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:42 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post

Hate to break it to you, but your post doesn't make any sense. Did you look at the link provided in the OP? It's funny. Check it out...granted you have a sense of humor. : smack::s mack::sm ack::sma ck::smac k::smack :
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search