Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 01:19 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Applicant rejected. Does not follow basic instructions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Exactly. I wouldn't even look at the resume. If they don't even send in their resume right, there is a good chance they won't do the job right. They will also be someone "who knows better than the boss".

It may not be true, but that is what it looks like on the other side. If you can't follow basic instructions, what will you do when it comes time to do something complicated?
This kind of attitude works when you are recruiting for low end jobs. Once you get into skilled jobs at the managerial level, it doesn't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 01:45 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
This kind of attitude works when you are recruiting for low end jobs. Once you get into skilled jobs at the managerial level, it doesn't matter.
Sure it does. My MBA program (top 20 in the nation) has a set format (everyone has the same resume down to what is italicized and bolded). If you don't have that format, you won't get a top-MBA/executive level job.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:53 PM

57 posts, read 125,172 times
Well...the file format thing I kind of feel would be a bit extreme to not be considered that you simply overlooked what file format they require when most companies accept multiple formats these days.

but anyway...i created my resume in illustrator. i am a computer science major and wanted to have a resume that would make me stand out a little more than the next person. i didn't create anything crazy it's simple, but unique.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:00 PM

57 posts, read 125,172 times
does anyone know how to tell if your PDF is text based or image based?

Old 04-13-2011, 02:03 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Sure it does. My MBA program (top 20 in the nation) has a set format (everyone has the same resume down to what is italicized and bolded). If you don't have that format, you won't get a top-MBA/executive level job.
For my new job, which I will be starting in a couple of weeks (a Director level position) I merely sent a link to my linkedin.com profile.

Fact is, if you have a highly-demanded skill set and qualifications, and are start getting in management, format does not matter. You are talking about students... I am talking about more advanced people with real-world skills and experience. If you think an MBA job candidate with 15 years worth of experience will not find a job unless s/he adheres to rules such as resume formats, you are dreaming.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:49 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,449,350 times
If you are truly concerned, contact the employer, tell them you realized your mistake and would like to send them a copy or upload a word document copy of your resume.

It could be that they don't have the ability (software) to read the pdf...

Old 04-13-2011, 04:12 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
As for OP assuming they wanted .doc format because of file size, well, they could have many reasons for making that request. As an applicant, it is not appropriate for you to be making assumptions about their reasons. Just follow their instructions and move on.

As far as the comments above that you should always submit in .doc format, that's industry specific. If you work in a creative or graphic profession like I do, you always submit in PDF format. Honestly I haven't heard of any business that didn't have acrobat reader in years. So I would say you should follow the employer's instructions OR if none are provided, follow your industry standard.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:45 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
For my new job, which I will be starting in a couple of weeks (a Director level position) I merely sent a link to my linkedin.com profile.

Fact is, if you have a highly-demanded skill set and qualifications, and are start getting in management, format does not matter. You are talking about students... I am talking about more advanced people with real-world skills and experience. If you think an MBA job candidate with 15 years worth of experience will not find a job unless s/he adheres to rules such as resume formats, you are dreaming.
If you think someone is going to hire a person arrogant enough to blatantly ignore formats and do whatever they want in the application process and still expect to be in high contention for any competitive job you are dreaming as well.

If you have networked and know the people you are going to work for, obviously that is a different story. Obviously the best way to get a job is to network and get to the point where you don't need a resume, but if you are going for a director-level job and are competing with 3-4 other candidates as highly qualified as you, then a link to a linked-in profile is going to be laughed at.

Obviously different situations call for different actions (as your situation has shown), however it is extremely poor advice to tell someone that resume format does not matter. As a director of a company, would you really recommend people just email links to social networking profiles to potential employers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search