Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 01:40 PM

348 posts, read 1,360,820 times

Advertisements

For those of you in the HR recruiting hiring fields. What is the average time between when you interview and when you offer someone a job?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 02:08 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
It depends on a number of factors such as number of qualified candidates, feed back from hiring manager about candidates, changes in directions during a search, type of position ...

How long ago was your interview and for what kind of position.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:29 PM

348 posts, read 1,360,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
It depends on a number of factors such as number of qualified candidates, feed back from hiring manager about candidates, changes in directions during a search, type of position ...

How long ago was your interview and for what kind of position.
I had my first one with the CFO and one owner on the 9th. Met both of them and the other owner (who was out of town the week before) on the 15th.

It's an Office Manager/Bookkeeper job. Not sure how many were interviewed. My first one was about a week after the ad was placed.

I'm qualified and really want it. Am I being impatient?

Thanks

Old 01-22-2008, 03:27 PM

857 posts, read 4,879,328 times
Its hard to say. sometimes they just get busy with the day to day stuff and forget that the people they interviewed are waiting for an answer.
Once I was in the same situation, so I called and spoke with the person who interviewed me, established that he had not filled the position yet, and then told him how much I liked his company but I had another job offer which I hadn't said yes or no to because I would prefer to work for him. I asked if he could give me a timeline so that if I didn't hear from him by, say, thursday, then I should go ahead and accept the other job.
He called me back that afternoon with an offer.
Sometimes it helps to give them a sense of urgency, as long as you don't make it sound like an ultimatum. Good luck.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:00 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
if you don't hear from them within a week, forget about it.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:37 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,809,349 times
5 days max......

Old 01-24-2008, 01:11 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,505,114 times
What about this scenario?

I interviewed originally for a NOC Technician job in early May last year. Met with the CEO, Network Manager and a technician. Interview went well, they said they'd be in touch by friday for the second round... I sent a few e-mails and got the eventual response that they paused hiring. I go okay, (at this point I've already secured a summer job) and I call it good for 3 months. I e-mail them after 3 months, and get a reply a few weeks later, and well... long story short...
Lots of back and forth, with the hiring manager telling me that he's really busy, hasn't had time to sit down, and either make the interview schedule, or talk to his bosses, or whatever.

I interviewed for the 2nd interview on Tuesday. They said response by friday. I called them at around 4:45pm on Friday and asked, he stated he was really busy and hadn't had a chance yet. Hopefully monday he says. Monday afternoon I get an e-mail:

Galen,
Just wanted to give you a little bit of an update on the hiring for
this position. It's been pretty busy here over the last couple of
days, so I haven't had a chance to have the final meeting with my
supervisor to make the final decision on who we'd like to hire and go
over specifics on hourly wage, etc. If things quiet down, I hope to
have that decision made this week and we would be looking at a hire
date around February 15th for the weekend shift.

Thanks.

Now, decision this week? Hire date on the 15th? Whats with the 2 week lapse?

Old 01-24-2008, 08:26 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
Now, decision this week? Hire date on the 15th? Whats with the 2 week lapse?
If they are keeping in contact with you, it's a good thing. The reality is that good candidates get offers from many companies and are on the job market for a short time. So companies that can't make a decision in a reasonable amount of time will miss out on the best people. Most of the time that means that the company has a lot of mediocre talent as a result.

In my last job search, I had an interview every day for 1-2 weeks. I made it clear to the hiring managers that I was doing a lot of interviewing and wanted to make a decision within 2 weeks. I had multiple offers in-hand when I made my decision. One of the companies I interviewed with decided to make me an offer more than 2 weeks after I had interviewed with them, and I had already accepted another offer. They were upset and tried to to up the offer but I had decided I didn't want to to work with them because they were too slow and disorganized (even during the interviews, no one had even looked at my resume).

Old 01-24-2008, 08:35 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,505,114 times
Well, I currently work M-F and this is for a weekend job that would get my foot into the door in networking, a field I know very little about. But I learn quickly and I've stressed this in the interview, citing specific examples, etc.

And so, I'm really not looking for any other jobs, and in Bozeman, MT the tech market is just a wee bit thin, and the networking jobs are even thinner. I've checked with the other network companies in town, and none of them are hiring at this time.

Otherwise, yeah... when I am looking for a job, I do let them know that.

Edit: The hiring manager seems really stressed and overworked.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:02 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,807 times
Default the job sounds like it is yours if you want it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
Well, I currently work M-F and this is for a weekend job that would get my foot into the door in networking, a field I know very little about. But I learn quickly and I've stressed this in the interview, citing specific examples, etc.

And so, I'm really not looking for any other jobs, and in Bozeman, MT the tech market is just a wee bit thin, and the networking jobs are even thinner. I've checked with the other network companies in town, and none of them are hiring at this time.

Otherwise, yeah... when I am looking for a job, I do let them know that.

Edit: The hiring manager seems really stressed and overworked.
Okay, the fact that they are still communicating is good, I agree with that. The fact that this is a p/t gig for you, awesome, so you are not desperate...you are looking for experience, how ambitious of you! Now, since they have some time before they decide to "give you" the job, why not clench it with a letter thanking them for the interview and reiterate your qualifications. Time has past but talks are still open, but a good reminder of your interview may be in order, and it will set you apart from other applicants who are not taking the time to do this one important step. Good luck and keep us posted, the job sounds like it is yours if you want it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search