Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 06:11 AM

4 posts, read 39,794 times

Advertisements

So here is a situation.
1. I applied for a position for IT project manager for a company. After 1 month of my application I got a call from an HR person (lets call her HR1) and she explained about an opportunity which I was happy to apply for.
2. After another one month she called back to schedule a telephonic interview. The interview went fine and I wrote a nice thank you mail but there was no response so after few days I wrote a follow up email. Another few days past and I got a reply saying that the interview results were positive and they want to call me for a face-to-face interview. She called me up and scheduled for that.
3. I gave the face-to-face interview and followed by a thank you mail. The very next day I got a call from someone else (HR2) saying that there is a very positive feedback and they want to meet again. This time the agenda will be a presentation that I have to give followed by an interview and then another round of interview with the head of the department.
4. I gave presentation and I got a very nice feedback during the presentation by all three interviewers. The interview with the head of the department though should have been a CV based interview was more a formality where she was explaining about the organization and current pain areas and asked my view over that.

I wrote a nice thank you mail again to HR1 and HR2 and telling how much I am looking forward for this role and got an email back from HR1 saying she will come back with a feedback and potential next steps .
Its been a week now and no response. I wrote a follow-up email asking status of my application to HR1 and HR2 and got an out-of-office that HR1 is on leave for 1 week.

I dont know what to do next. Should I give up my hope on this opportunity or should I call HR2... or should I wait for HR1 to come back??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 06:20 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikeyaroy View Post
So here is a situation.
1. I applied for a position for IT project manager for a company. After 1 month of my application I got a call from an HR person (lets call her HR1) and she explained about an opportunity which I was happy to apply for.
2. After another one month she called back to schedule a telephonic interview. The interview went fine and I wrote a nice thank you mail but there was no response so after few days I wrote a follow up email. Another few days past and I got a reply saying that the interview results were positive and they want to call me for a face-to-face interview. She called me up and scheduled for that.
3. I gave the face-to-face interview and followed by a thank you mail. The very next day I got a call from someone else (HR2) saying that there is a very positive feedback and they want to meet again. This time the agenda will be a presentation that I have to give followed by an interview and then another round of interview with the head of the department.
4. I gave presentation and I got a very nice feedback during the presentation by all three interviewers. The interview with the head of the department though should have been a CV based interview was more a formality where she was explaining about the organization and current pain areas and asked my view over that.

I wrote a nice thank you mail again to HR1 and HR2 and telling how much I am looking forward for this role and got an email back from HR1 saying she will come back with a feedback and potential next steps .
Its been a week now and no response. I wrote a follow-up email asking status of my application to HR1 and HR2 and got an out-of-office that HR1 is on leave for 1 week.

I dont know what to do next. Should I give up my hope on this opportunity or should I call HR2... or should I wait for HR1 to come back??
Many people take this week off. Wait at least another week - you've emailed enough they get the point.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:28 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
The time may vary. I have seen and experienced 3 weeks to a month. The longest was 2 months. The thing is the longer the wait, the less chance the employer will make an offer; however, it's not set in stone. The wait typically means they are seeing other candidates. Of course, sometimes there are bureaucratic hoops they need to jump through. For good candidates, employers usually make an effort to keep in touch.

Another thing is that the higher the position, the slower the process. I have seem director level roles took 5 months, the time between the first interview to job offer, to finalize.

I would suggest you to move on and seek for other opportunities. This one may still come through but in the meantime don't give up other opportunities.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:40 AM

799 posts, read 1,550,095 times
Its always a good idea to ask "what is the next step?" after a situation like this.

We only bring in people for three or more interviews if the position is very important or we have an internal candidate and are really trying to decide between internal and external hires.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:46 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
They have moved slowly on the previous steps, so it should be no surprise they are taking a long time to pull the trigger. Just hang in there.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:47 AM

23,544 posts, read 24,049,201 times
A third interview means that you are on the "short list" of candidates. They will certainly let you know, or it would be very rude on their part.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:57 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,678,460 times
yeah, a thank you and one request for a status update is enough. the ball's in their court now. just move on and hopefully you'll get a surprise down the road.

i agree with ccm that it would be extremely rude for them to never get back to you either way, but it happens.

good luck!

Old 05-30-2013, 09:07 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
It takes awhile for signoff, agreement of the offer, plus all the pre-planning red tape that must be decided upon, such as start date, etc.

with the key HR person off this week, it's very likely that ball is in their court. When they get back from vacation, they will have a heavy workload due to being off for 1 week. They'll get to you in the pile of all the other things they have.

In addition, it's possible that another key player is off for a few days after the HR person gets back...such as a manager that needs to approve the final offer figures. So it could take another few days for that approval to happen.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:32 AM

4 posts, read 39,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
They have moved slowly on the previous steps, so it should be no surprise they are taking a long time to pull the trigger. Just hang in there.
I thought they took 2 months from application to telephonic interview, then 1 week from telephonic to 1st face-to-face and then 1 day from 1st f-2-f to 2nd so on this rate the decision for this round should have been much faster ... I am assuming they must be having a lesser number of candidates in 2nd f-2-f than from 1st f-2-f .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
It takes awhile for signoff, agreement of the offer, plus all the pre-planning red tape that must be decided upon, such as start date, etc.
No HR round yet.... so there's no discussion of salary/offer etc.
Yes on the very first occasion even before the telephonic they asked me what I am expecting and I gave two numbers saying I expect something in between this.

Knowing my expectation and the pay for this role they might have thought-off , shouldn't these number be already approved?

Old 05-30-2013, 09:36 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikeyaroy View Post
Yes on the very first occasion even before the telephonic they asked me what I am expecting and I gave two numbers saying I expect something in between this.

Knowing my expectation and the pay for this role they might have thought-off , shouldn't these number be already approved?

The offer must be approved. This is the offer with the actual number for you, as well as start date, plus the benefit package as well. Even if the requisition (the opening....job title, job grade, etc) was approved, the actual offer must be signed off as well.

Sounds like the next logical step in their process will be the offer.

Keep in mind once you accept an offer, they have X days to get background search paperwork done and also X days to get drug screening ordered. They usually have all this prepared as part of the offer so they can get rolling on it immediately once you acccept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search