Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 11:11 AM

2 posts, read 2,040 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, I've just about given up trying to find a job. I'm hooked up with so many "online" employment sites that my inbox is filled to the brim with crap, everyday.

I will turn 62 this month and got laid-off a little more than 2 years ago. In the mean time, I have submitted nearly 500 resumes. This yielded all of about 5 responses. You might say that I need to "tweek" my resume. I have been to so many resume workshops that I'm sure that I'm qualified to offer a workshop myself. Absolutely every person that looks at my resume has THEIR opinion what I need to tweek. I have NEVER run into anyone that said "this looks great to me". I have 40 years of spotless experience. Still no real solid "bites". Yeah, I had a couple that I thought was real promising, but, they didn't pan out.

I think that all these companies using a computer vs a human to look at the resumes and missing the boat. Someone with my experience can really provide an advantage to any company. But, until you can get "in the door" to prove it, the experience is worthless.

The few actual interviews that I had, I felt went very well. Obviously, I was kidding myself because I didn't get the position.

This is unfortunate for the US economy. People like me max out on their unemployment and then have to try to scrape by until Social Security ( or insecurity) kicks in.

It's unfortunate, but, I feel that I have to "give up" and just sit around and watch the grass grow and wait until I die. For me, life has all but ended. The next time I hear anyone ***** about their job, I think I'm going to slap the crap out of them. You just don't want what I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 12:39 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,747,349 times
What is your college degree /field in? What is your experience? Maybe you're facing age discrimination.

I've been unemployed 3 years now with a BSME degree and 5.75 years experience. I'm 42 years old.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:27 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,922,261 times
It either:

A. The company is afraid that you are going to ask for a lot of money due to your experience. (you have 40 years of spotless experience)

B. Since you have 40 years of experience, the person reviewing the resume would assume that you are really old. (no offense)

C. The company wants to hire the future employees of the company so they prefer to hire young.

Sadly, the USA has become a dog eat dog society. Do you have any friends that are currently working that can get you a job at their company?

Have you tried Craiglist or maybe your alma mater?? You shoud join meetup and look for job networking clubs.

Good luck Bob!

Old 09-17-2011, 01:27 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,160,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
What is your college degree /field in? What is your experience? Maybe you're facing age discrimination.

I've been unemployed 3 years now with a BSME degree and 5.75 years experience. I'm 42 years old.
If so, whats the worst that can happen if someone lied about their age on a resume? Maybe instead of 62 she could put 52. Then during the interview you could tell them the truth I guess....At least this way you can get your foot in the door. Never heard of someone getting in trouble about a decrease in their age. Its usually because of an increase to buy a controlled substance.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:42 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,272,092 times
For one thing, it is not necessary to go back more than 10 or 12 years on a resume. Saying you have 40 years of experience is practically guaranteeing that you get no responses, especially now, when age discrimination starts at age 40. The employer is going to assume that you are just going to put in a few years and then retire. The company is also going to look at you as a liability for their health insurance.

Cut your resume down to the last 12 years. Do not put the year you graduated college on there. Do not bring up your age. Let them find out when you walk in the door for the interview, and then knock 'em dead.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
If an employer is going to discriminate against older people the tricks on the resume won't help, eventually they will meet you in the interview. The result will be the same, the reason will be simply "someone else was better qualified." You need to look for positions where more experience is required. I mentioned this on another thread but I interviewed last week for a job requiring 3 years experience and most of the top candidates were over 40, two of the top 5 over 60. Some employers do have a potential problem wit their average employee age getting higher, as it means a lot of retirements without experienced people to backfill the positions, but still prefer a seasoned hire over a recent graduate with no experience.

I'd like to see someone do a study on the forums here to see the numbers of people who think they can't get a job because they are old, versus those who complain they cannot get a job because they have no experience. It's really just that there are way too many people applying for very few openings. When we get 85-100 in a week it really gives us a great advantage in getting someone really good. In the mid-90s it was a challenge, and candidates could pick and choose or leverage one potential employer against another to get more money. Seriously, as well qualified as you may be for these jobs, there really may be others better qualified. Our applications are all submitted online but the hiring manager and HR person review them individually, no robo-reviews even when we get a bunch of them.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:15 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,973 times
The worst is dealing with these twenty something recruiters who will only present your Resume to their client if you are the right age cannot be unemployed and must have the exact skillset being requested in their post. Many of them are a waste of time and treat candidates like ****

Old 09-17-2011, 03:16 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,973 times
Too many applications is a convieniently and politically correct excuse but is bull crap most of the time

Old 09-17-2011, 06:13 PM

810 posts, read 1,763,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
Too many applications is a convieniently and politically correct excuse but is bull crap most of the time
Exactly!

Old 09-17-2011, 11:09 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,354,812 times
This is why I got all my previous positions as a temp. You are pre-screened by the agency. They send you on the job, and then once they see how you work out. You can get in that way.

Unfortunately, finding an ethical temp agency these days can be difficult since the industry has been inundated by large national chains which do not seem to have the best interests of client nor their temps at heart. Good agencies are out there, you just have to look.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search