Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 01:24 PM

511 posts, read 2,450,385 times

Advertisements

One time I was so desperate for a job that I acted as my own professional reference. Here is what I did:

I applied and was interviewed at a large company and after being told that I was a strong candidate they asked for my professional references. I gave them one legitimate one, my brother (who I said was an ex supervisor) and myself using a fake name.

I set up a Google voice voice mail account for my fake reference and had a friend do the message giving the impression that they had reached a direct line office number at one of my old employers. I reality that man had passed away, so I just took over his identity.

When the called some joker in Human Resources, who I never met before, called and left a message for my fake person. I called them back using a special Caller ID Spoof calling card so it seemed like the call was coming from my old employer. I, acting as my old boss (was was actually dead) gave myself a wonderful professional reference. I got the job and am still working there today four years later.

My brother did a good job at being a fake reference too.

Was this genius or devious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 01:41 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Both. I'm glad it worked out for you. It is less work having real references though. It is nothing to feel bad about though as TV pitchmen do this all the time giving people ~$75 off the street to say great things about their piece of crap product.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:46 PM

213 posts, read 1,107,069 times
That's pretty good, but I bet it was stressful/uncomfortable. You gotta do what you gotta do sometimes so I won't knock it. Next time though, if your boss is gone from your old place of work and can't use them as a reference...I would ask a coworker or another boss/manager if they would be a reference for me. Get to know co-workers and be nice to them. They could help you out down the road if something comes up. Try not to burn any bridges...But I do understand that sometimes gathering up references can be difficult for one reason or another.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:03 PM

379 posts, read 813,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
Pure genius, yet unethical. I wonder if the employer knew, but was so blown away by the sheer talent of that bold move, that they just had to hire you for that alone! I bet half, if not most, of the references out there are somebody's relative or spouse! The whole personal reference gig is pointless, I think. Who's going to list a personal reference that won't be favorable?

Last edited by mash potato; 10-31-2011 at 02:13 PM..

Old 10-31-2011, 02:07 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
I am not so much bothered by who your reference is but I am deeply troubled that you have NO reference. Can you explain why?

Repeating...

MSchemist80, I am sorry you hold this view but it is wrong. You apparently have a lot anger against the current hiring process. you know, it may not be the best but I have yet seen a better one. I can also assure you, from what I have read from you, it is YOU who have the problem, not the process. You really allowed your ego to get in your way. If you don't let your ego go and start learning how to be better, you will continue to be bitter.

Reference is one of the key point in the hiring process. Some may not pay that much attention but I do. I typically spend 30 min with each reference and I compare notes with each other. If i see inconsistency, that's where red flags coming up.

Your little gambit wouldn't work in front a good hiring manager. :-)

Old 10-31-2011, 02:16 PM

213 posts, read 1,107,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I am not so much bothered by who your reference is but I am deeply troubled that you have NO reference. Can you explain why?

Repeating...

MSchemist80, I am sorry you hold this view but it is wrong. You apparently have a lot anger against the current hiring process. you know, it may not be the best but I have yet seen a better one. I can also assure you, from what I have read from you, it is YOU who have the problem, not the process. You really allowed your ego to get in your way. If you don't let your ego go and start learning how to be better, you will continue to be bitter.

Reference is one of the key point in the hiring process. Some may not pay that much attention but I do. I typically spend 30 min with each reference and I compare notes with each other. If i see inconsistency, that's where red flags coming up.

Your little gambit wouldn't work in front a good hiring manager. :-)
You spend 30 minutes with each reference? What in the world do you ask them or talk about? Mostly, as far as I know, all you can ask is:

Dates of employment
Job Title
Wages/Salary
Maybe you can ask would your rehire this person?

What else do you talk about? 30 mintues per reference? You have to be kidding me. Most references would not want and/or have the time to talk to you that long. 30 minutes?

Old 10-31-2011, 03:19 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
Neither. It's grounds for immediate termination should your employer find out, and therefore, it's foolish.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:28 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rift View Post
You spend 30 minutes with each reference? What in the world do you ask them or talk about? Mostly, as far as I know, all you can ask is:

Dates of employment
Job Title
Wages/Salary
Maybe you can ask would your rehire this person?

What else do you talk about? 30 mintues per reference? You have to be kidding me. Most references would not want and/or have the time to talk to you that long. 30 minutes?
I have a list of questions that I ask. :-) More than just these.

Here's the list of my questions:
0. What's your relationship with the candidate?
1 In what capacity did you know the candidate?
2 What were the responsibilities of the position the candidate had while working at your company?
3 Do you think the candidate is qualified to assume these responsibilities (briefly give the job description)? Why or why not?
4 On a scale of one to nine, how would you rate this candidate’s job performance?
5 Is this candidate a team player or does he excel by working alone? Requires lots hands-on direction or takes initiative?
6 What was the candidate's attendance record? Was the candidate on-time and dependable?
7 What are the candidate’s areas of strength? Weakness?
8 What was the candidate's reason for leaving the position?
9 Would you rehire this candidate?
10 Would you seek out this candidate to rehire?
11 What did this person do beyond the basic duties of the job?

I am happy to explain on each one why it is not BS. By the way, reference check is NOT just to reach hiring decision. It is also an insight to the candidate so that the employer knows what to expect and how to best manage the person.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 10-31-2011 at 03:41 PM..

Old 10-31-2011, 03:39 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
Props to u dude.....

brilliant, yet wrong, but who cares.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:18 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,517,900 times
Genius! I'm mighty proud of what you were able to pull off, talk scoring a home run for the team.

Ethical? I think this is a moot point, considering how UNeithical most corps are these days towards employees, I consider making an end-run around the idiotic hiring process a good thing.

Props and a rep point for you, bud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search