Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2011, 12:39 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,314 times

Advertisements

I've posted on here recently about resumes and background checks...well I contacted the company and really don't want to work for them so no big deal. BUT it did lead me to question my resume and applications. So, I am posing this new question:

I know that your resume and application does not have to match exactly as you don't list all your jobs on your resume...but you do need to list all positions held within the specified time period on your application.

So here is the questions:
1. I am applying for jobs with Washington State and they don't have a time frame on their application--does that mean my whole 20 year job history?--that could take up a whole book...lol

2. I found old W2's for the past 10 years which amounts to 8 W2's. Some of them were for 1 days work -2 weeks work. I was in between states (3 of them) at the time and never had a problem getting a job within a day of looking. Do I need to include those short jobs?

3. My last "employer" was a non-profit. I was on the payroll for a few paychecks (last W2 was for 50.00 for website work) but I volunteered there since 2004 when I moved back to my current location. How do I list that on the application? Resume I have no problem addressing my volunteer work for the past 7 years while I was a full-time student as well.

4. How far back do most employment background checks go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 06:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Public agencies do often require application forms and resumes may be optional. Generally an application will be used to determine whether you can follow directions, so if you are asked to list former employers and list volunteer work that will not look good. Stick to exactly what is on the application. If you had a lot of short jobs it may look like you are a job hopper, but you could address that in the cover letter. If you leave them out then you have employment gaps that also look bad. I would go back at least 10 years but longer if the previous employment is at all relevant to
the position you are applying for.

Background checks vary by job and employer. I work for a public agency and we verify college degree and references before making an offer, but
we'd be wasting time to verify your job 18 years ago. The background check is through state and federal law enforcement and they go back as far as they can find data for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search