Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 03:11 PM

47 posts, read 148,005 times

Advertisements

After a phone interview with HR, 2 in-persons, 1 conference call, and several back and forths with HR and the hiring manager they are really impressed with me (according to them). My last interview was with the CEO, which seemed like just a formality. Everything is looking like offer on the table. Today the hiring manager wants to talk to me over the phone again.

What does this mean? If it was an offer, I would think HR would contact me to discuss compensation and all that.

I have a feeling he wants to do another conference call, in-person, or some sort of assignment to test my skills. I am getting fed up with this.

Should I just tell them that I have no time for this and to just cut to the chase? Just wondering what you think.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 03:16 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Well it depends on your situation. Are you currently working or were you laid off and need a job?

I can understand your frustration as it seems these days it is overkill and made way too complicated to hire someone.

But you have already gone through most of the process. Do you want to blow your chances at this point?

And the hiring manager may just be calling you to offer you the job, I would call him back.

Last edited by seain dublin; 01-24-2012 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: change

Old 01-24-2012, 03:16 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
I got my offer directly from the hiring manager...and this was a fortune 500 company. He did the negotiation on salary and start date, then turned it over to HR for final paperwork after the offer was accepted.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:17 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,161 times
No. Go with the flow. You need a job, right ? They'd probably be better off having to not fill the position right now than you are not having a job right now. So, the advantage really is with them. Be ready to continue to impress by selling your skills. I wouldn't recommend treating any interview as a "mere formality". Act as if you're not hired yet and need to convince them you're good, because the cold reality is that you're not hired yet.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I got my offer directly from the hiring manager...and this was a fortune 500 company. He did the negotiation on salary and start date, then turned it over to HR for final paperwork after the offer was accepted.
Thanks. I didn't realize it goes through them; in the past I've went through HR directly. Seems weird that the hiring manager would know my compensation package.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
No. Go with the flow. You need a job, right ? They'd probably be better off having to not fill the position right now than you are not having a job right now. So, the advantage really is with them. Be ready to continue to impress by selling your skills. I wouldn't recommend treating any interview as a "mere formality". Act as if you're not hired yet and need to convince them you're good, because the cold reality is that you're not hired yet.
Thanks. I am trying to impress. I did a little of "self selling" when I met with the CEO. It is just frustrating being this salesmen when all I want to do is just do the job already.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:22 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallic07039 View Post
Thanks. I am trying to impress. I did a little of "self selling" when I met with the CEO. It is just frustrating being this salesmen when all I want to do is just do the job already.
I know. It's very frustrating. Hang in there.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:30 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
And, its possible that there is another candidate and they are all on the fence so they threw the task to the hiring manager to do a final something to decide. There are some positions and companies 9like the one I work for) where getting hired is an ordeal. You have corporate interview, the peir interviews, manager interviews, wait for this, talk aboutt hat, check into this, more interviews... We tell people that it can be within the month or within 6 months. For decades we were always looked at as strict, hut we always hired the very best. Now many other companies are now taking advantage of the employer's market to check all the boxes and look under all the rugs. You came this far, don't throw it away out of wanting it to happen according to your schedule.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:46 PM

Thanks everyone! I just got a call and they're going to extend an offer! Problem is that the base is about $3k less than what I am currently making, but with much higher bonuses every quarter.

Question: if I ask for a higher base and they refuse, what are the chances of me losing the offer?

Old 01-24-2012, 03:53 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallic07039 View Post
Question: if I ask for a higher base and they refuse, what are the chances of me losing the offer?
if you ask for a higher base (as in a respectful compensation negotiation) and they refuse, the only reason you would lose the offer based on asking for a higher base is you would not accept the offer unless you get the higher base. I donlt think any employer would hold it against you for trying unless it was a unreasonable request or you knew 100% what the compensation was yet your threw in the counter offer when no counter offer was appropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search