Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 07:36 AM

410 posts, read 1,521,683 times

Advertisements

Back in the day it was nothing to lie on applications about jobs you've held. As long as you could do the job, no one cared. Now with more and more companies using 3rd party background check companies you can't lie anymore.

Have you ever been tempted to though? If you know you can do the job, and have done the job in the past but won't be given the time of day because of recent experience what would you do?

Here's a brief overview of my past:
last 7 years as a student
21 years of experience--11 companies--9 are now closed

all that equals= NO JOB FOR YOU!

over 1000 applications last month and not a single bite (only 145 were kind enough to send an email of rejection...lol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 07:41 AM

370 posts, read 1,366,003 times
The only thing I might do is leave off education because once they see Masters and you are apply for an office job or something of that nature, they tend to wonder why you want this job when you are so educated?

I haven't done it yet, though.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:43 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,799 times
People have to do what they have to do to get hired. Nobody should state they're a rocket scientist at NASA that's just asking to get caught. But many stretch dates, inflate job titles, and do other similar things. I assure you employers on their end to a lot more lying, misrepresenting, cheating and of course, stealing from both customers and employees.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:51 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
People have to do what they have to do to get hired. Nobody should state they're a rocket scientist at NASA that's just asking to get caught. But many stretch dates, inflate job titles, and do other similar things. I assure you employers on their end to a lot more lying, misrepresenting, cheating and of course, stealing from both customers and employees.
Exactly, and this has been discussed before. I always find it amusing to that so many seem to think you're average HR person is going to launch an investigation like they're the FBI for your average office job.

Most HR people couldn't pour water out of a glass if the instructions were written on the bottom.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:32 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Exactly, and this has been discussed before. I always find it amusing to that so many seem to think you're average HR person is going to launch an investigation like they're the FBI for your average office job.

Most HR people couldn't pour water out of a glass if the instructions were written on the bottom.

Even for lowly office workers companies are using 3rd party background check companies to check. Used to be a phone call to the person listed but now its everything. Companies like LexisNexis, HireRight, and others are controlling HR (as far as recruiting goes). My friend failed an employment check to work at Burger King because the dates didn't match what HireRight claimed.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:41 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
I've never lied on a resume since I am not a liar. Plus whatever lie an employer is told can be easily found out if say, you say you have experience in something you don't actually and don't know how to do it. But it's not as if all employers tell you the truth about the job either so it seems like it'd be even in some cases.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:17 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
I've been unemployed so long I'm now lying a little bit on my resume.

If past companies you work for are out of business you can lie about what you did there since there might be no HR or references to check up on you.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:09 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Sometimes it is advantageous to lie on the "tell them what they want to hear" type of questions.

For instance, a question like "would you accept employment anywhere in the State?". I tell 'em, "Sure"....it shows flexibility. But, if the job offer ends up being somewhere unacceptable to me, then I'd turn it down. I figure I might never have gotten the offer in the first place if I had told them upfront...

Old 02-05-2012, 10:44 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
I would not lie and claim I can do something I never have. Keep in mind there is usually a 90 day probation period and if you fumble around because you are not really qualified, it's going to become apparent.

It would not be lying to leave off certain things - if a high school diploma is required and you believe that your college degree will hurt your chances, leaving off the college isn't lying as long as you do have a high school diploma.

Usually employers really don't care if you think you're "over-qualified" however. It's only if you give the impression that you think you're too good for the job or they sense you cannot perform the job.

For example someone who has only worked cushy easy jobs because of a degree might be seen as incapable of doing physical work and wouldn't be hired for that reason.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:29 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

That's true, HR will not investigate, they have a contract with a company that specializes in that for them. Generally, one false claim, whether a lie or accidental date error means no job for you.

The lack of recent experience and other problems have just become an easy way to reduce the qualified applicant pool to a manageable number now that
there are so many well-qualified people for every opening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search