Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 01:49 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times

Advertisements

OP, That is the response I'd anticipate. In this economy, no one is going to budge in any significant way. Move on, and do not anticipate any more contact from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 03:12 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
They probably didn't appreciate the deadline bit. They may have anticipated the counter, but the deadline likely blew it for you. You probably came across as a little pompous.

^^^^^^ This. You screwed up when you gave THEM a deadline. I wouldn't be surprised if that is what caused you to lose the job and not so much the salary increase.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:13 PM

670 posts, read 1,278,185 times
This exact thing just happened to me except I am contracting and recently received a perm job offer elsewhere. Their offer was $30K less than my current salary so I negotiated for more money. HR said that she didnt realize I was making that amount and would talk to management. She then called me back in for ANOTHER interview to meet with more execs, 3 days went by after 7 total interviews and I finally called the recruiter back and she informed me that they could not pay me what I was making and had moved in a different direction. I've been so bummed about it bc I am growing anxious for a perm job bc I need benefits. I was just really disappointed that they just discounted me like that. It made me second guess myself and wonder if I should have just taken their offer just for the sake of having a permanent job. Idk, I guess it wasnt meant to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbskr2012 View Post
I recently was offered a position. The role is in a new industry but I have many attractive transferable skills. HR has insisted that since its a new industry that I should come in as an entry level associate/ pay range. The problem is that I have over 10 years of transferable professional experience most of which I've gained since earning my graduate degree. HR contacted a week ago with an offer that is over 15k less than what I previously earned. I don't want to take such a drastic pay cut. I've only been out of work a couple months and have been actively interviewing. So I feel that its too soon to take such a drastic reduction. If I accept the job then I wont be available to interview for more lucrative offers. So Id be stuck. I prefer to make it work for the long term by negotiating the salary because its a good role with a great company. The problem is HR doesn't seem to want to negotiate. I sent an email last week to the recruiter explaining my position, reiterating my credentials and asking for a higher salary. The salary that I presented as my minimum is less than my prior but much more that what they're offering. I asked the recruiter to talk to the management team and gave the recruiter a deadline to get back to me. That deadline has come and gone with no response. Should I just move on or give the recruiter the benefit of the doubt? Since they haven't called me should I call them? Should I ask the recruiter for an update or assume that they found my counter proposal unacceptable and just move on? Im more so looking for closure than any further negotiations. If they cant meet my salary I will just continue to contact other firms.... but I would like to know for sure. What do you think?

Old 05-06-2014, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,118 times
Can you please share your input on the following situation. I emailed a senior director at a boutique investment management firm my resume and he emailed me back to schedule a time to meet. We had a great conversation and I had the opportunity to meet a couple of other senior directors at the firm during my initial visit to the company. At the time, the company did not have any openings but he said he will keep me in mind about potential opportunities. Approximately 7 months later, the senior director emailed me about a potential opportunity at the firm. I went back to the office and had a three hour interview that also went very well. I suggested to the senior director I would welcome the opportunity to complete a financial modeling and write a deal screen to give him an idea about my thought process and ability to do the job. After sending a thank you note, the hiring manager emailed me back saying his team will be in touch shortly. A couple of days later, I received an extensive package to complete various financial analysis, research and report writing for the firm as an exercise to get an idea of my skill set. I completed the work requested within 2 days (took me approximately 12 – 14 hours to complete the assignment that required very advanced financial modeling in excel for joint venture structures, etc). Two days later, the senior director emailed me that the company liked my work product and asked for my salary requirement. I emailed him back stating my salary requirement and asked about other benefits the company provides to employees. The executive director did not respond to my email and I followed up three days later asking the senior director if he had any questions. He responded later that friday evening apologizing for the delayed response; He said it was the company’s quarterly reporting season which has kept him slammed and that he was going out of town the following week, he suggested we meet the week after his trip to continue our conversation. I emailed him to thank him for the update and that I look forward to coming back to their office. I followed up the Monday he said he would be back in the office to touch base about a convenient time to meet up, so far, it’s been 3 days and no response at all. I find it disturbing he met me twice, made me build a model and deal screen and tell me I did a good job to go silent! I really want this job and I am completely disturbed.

Is this a normal practice by some executives? Could this be due to my salary expectations? I would think a company would say something along the lines of, I am out of their salary range, etc or at least negotiate. I am very confused due to the situation. Any feedback or suggestion is kindly appreciated.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:20 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,279,429 times
phishman, I would just try to be patient. It's probably a super busy time for him, especially since he just got back. Try not to go into guessing why he hasnt gotten back to you. Just hang in there and do something relaxing so you are upbeat when he gets back in touch. Good luck!

Old 05-06-2014, 08:57 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Try to imagine what it's like for an exec on the Monday after he's been out a week.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:43 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
I recently was offered a position. The role is in a new industry but I have many attractive transferable skills. HR has insisted that since its a new industry that I should come in as an entry level associate/ pay range. The problem is that I have over 10 years of transferable professional experience most of which I've gained since earning my graduate degree.
The job is only worth $xx dollars to the company. You have transferable skills, though no experience in the industry. The fact that you have worked for 10 years and made more money, does not make you worth more money to this new employer. You would be coming in as anyone else would be. That is at an entry level position and pay range. If you took the position you would then have to prove your value to the company, and show you can produce a higher wage type of work. You have no track record in that position to prove you are worth more.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:02 PM

1 posts, read 965 times
A company newly hired recruiter reached out to me. We spoke about a particular position, and she pushed to know my salary range, for which I provided. She cut the phone conversation short and we hanged up. I emailed to thanks her and offer to reach out to few friends and colleagues who with a bit less experience and likely fit the lower salary range she mentioned. Few days later she reached out to me again and informed me that, as it turns out, the salary range I initially discussed with her is doable and would like to proceed with setting me up for a technical phone interview and sent an email confirming the interview date/time. Upon received of the email, I noticed the job tittle stated on subject line is for a Lead role, which was completely different then the role we initially discussed. I decided to go along with it. On the day of the interview, 25 minutes passed the agreed time, the recruiter called to question why I wasn't answering my interviewer phone call. I informed her that no one called yet and that I'm still waiting. I suggested perhaps she provided the wrong number to the interviewer. 10 mins later, the interviewer called me and informed me that the recruiter indeed provided him with a wrong number and have caused him to mistakenly left a message on someone else voice mail, thinking it was mine voice mail. The technical phone interview was highly technical but pleasant. Recruiter reached out and wanted to set up a face-to-face interview. On the interview day, I showed up 10 minutes early but ended up waited 25 minutes passed scheduled time at the front desk while the team were busy interviewing another candidate. So I met with the VP, Program Manager, and a Lead HR person. Pleasant interview and they appeared very nice and professional. So far, very positive feedback from both interview sessions (phone and in person). A week after, mid-day I received a "text" from the recruiter, stated that she been trying to reach me with good news (but I never received any missed call or voice message from her, but I decided not to bring that up). I that one "text" she asked that I call her back, which I did within minutes of receiving that text. After a brief friendly chit-chat, she proceeded to congratulate me stated that the team really impressed with me, my skill set, experiences etc....and extending an offer. I was ecstatic! because I was really excited about the contract and potential works with this company (they provided services and have acquired contracts that has a particular technology/service niche that I have wanted to pursue, so perfect opportunity for me to challenged and grow into that area. This niche was something that I wanted pursue so much that I have decided to take a year off from my previous position, spent my own money, and time to get myself trained rigorously for an entire year before coming back to the job market again). Yes, by choice, I took a year off to march this new technical specialty. I was very fortunate to be financially solid enough to afford me to take time off from the corporate work for a year to chase after what I want, and blessed with a spouse who supported me 100% in my pursuit. Back to the recruiter, she dropped the ball and let me know the offer is $#. I was completely shocked, since the proposed compensation is < 25K from what the range we initially discussed (of which she stated that it was doable). Her given reasons, (1) I haven't been working for so long (2) think i will need sometime to get my technical up to speed again. Wow! Shocker for me. Especially I have been transparent with them all along with regard to my choice to take a break from the corporate world to pursue something (even technically more advanced training/certifications to expand my skill set and experiences). Also, of all the candidates they've interviewed, surely they decided to select me because I have proved/showed my technical skill sets and ability to deliver and that my previous experiences plus newly acquired skill set will be great contributions to the team and company. I was completely shocked and disappointed. I thanked her but immediately letting her know that the number is way below what my minimum expectation of which we have discussed from the gecko. Also, I reiterated my values and ability to contribute greatly to the team and the I wanted to make a long term commitment but I cannot go by the number she proposed. She proceeded by saying maybe they can offer a small sign on bonus ... would that work? followed by "but you haven't been working for so long" and "don't you need health insurance" ... Wow! it screams to me this is so "prejudice" thinking! typical tactics to corner someone to accept something less. At this point of the negotiation, what I felt was pure insult and that their have been a lack of integrity on the recruiter's part, she purposely misrepresenting the info throughout the entire process and now, using such horrible tactics to corner me into accepting a low ball offer. She asked me again what would be my minimal accepting number. I gave her a number a let her know that if she would communicate the info back to hiring manager I'd appreciated very much but I cannot accept the position at the current number. She said she'll talk to the hiring team, but that it is out of her hand and that she'll be in touch. I thanks her and we ended our phone conversation. Deep down I have an inkling feeling that, that was probably the end of the negotiation and end of this relationship. Just as I thought, week+ passed, radio silence. My thoughts with regard to this company are "they are being cheap, play games, wasted my time, prejudice". I do not intend to give them a follow up phone call and I am at peace to let this opportunity pass. In my 17 years of services working with many employers and supporting countless contracts (both as employee and independent contracting) that if a company treated you unfairly from the gecko, it will only get worse overtime. My advise to any employer out there, respect and loyalty goes both ways. If you intentionally using what you "perceived" as a candidate's vulnerability to take advantage of them, you will loose out on the talented pool of peoples. And, they will tell their friends and anyone they meet about the negative experiences they ave with your company. Remember that if anyone is desperate enough to allow you to corner them into taking such an insulting low ball offer, don't expect they will give you their all when they come on board and most likely they are already on their way to jump ship. I have moved into a position that is very rewarding and a wonderful team since and am now with a company who knows how to conduct their business in a fair manner and with high integrity and am couldn't be more happy.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:21 PM

269 posts, read 247,163 times
It seems like it's time to move on. The company probably has a pay range for the position you applied for and you seem to be outside that range.

Old 12-09-2016, 12:16 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyCool123 View Post
A company newly hired recruiter reached out to me. We spoke about a particular position, and she pushed to know my salary range, for which I provided. She cut the phone conversation short and we hanged up. I emailed to thanks her and offer to reach out to few friends and colleagues who with a bit less experience and likely fit the lower salary range she mentioned. Few days later she reached out to me again and informed me that, as it turns out, the salary range I initially discussed with her is doable and would like to proceed with setting me up for a technical phone interview and sent an email confirming the interview date/time. Upon received of the email, I noticed the job tittle stated on subject line is for a Lead role, which was completely different then the role we initially discussed. I decided to go along with it. On the day of the interview, 25 minutes passed the agreed time, the recruiter called to question why I wasn't answering my interviewer phone call. I informed her that no one called yet and that I'm still waiting. I suggested perhaps she provided the wrong number to the interviewer. 10 mins later, the interviewer called me and informed me that the recruiter indeed provided him with a wrong number and have caused him to mistakenly left a message on someone else voice mail, thinking it was mine voice mail. The technical phone interview was highly technical but pleasant. Recruiter reached out and wanted to set up a face-to-face interview. On the interview day, I showed up 10 minutes early but ended up waited 25 minutes passed scheduled time at the front desk while the team were busy interviewing another candidate. So I met with the VP, Program Manager, and a Lead HR person. Pleasant interview and they appeared very nice and professional. So far, very positive feedback from both interview sessions (phone and in person). A week after, mid-day I received a "text" from the recruiter, stated that she been trying to reach me with good news (but I never received any missed call or voice message from her, but I decided not to bring that up). I that one "text" she asked that I call her back, which I did within minutes of receiving that text. After a brief friendly chit-chat, she proceeded to congratulate me stated that the team really impressed with me, my skill set, experiences etc....and extending an offer. I was ecstatic! because I was really excited about the contract and potential works with this company (they provided services and have acquired contracts that has a particular technology/service niche that I have wanted to pursue, so perfect opportunity for me to challenged and grow into that area. This niche was something that I wanted pursue so much that I have decided to take a year off from my previous position, spent my own money, and time to get myself trained rigorously for an entire year before coming back to the job market again). Yes, by choice, I took a year off to march this new technical specialty. I was very fortunate to be financially solid enough to afford me to take time off from the corporate work for a year to chase after what I want, and blessed with a spouse who supported me 100% in my pursuit. Back to the recruiter, she dropped the ball and let me know the offer is $#. I was completely shocked, since the proposed compensation is < 25K from what the range we initially discussed (of which she stated that it was doable). Her given reasons, (1) I haven't been working for so long (2) think i will need sometime to get my technical up to speed again. Wow! Shocker for me. Especially I have been transparent with them all along with regard to my choice to take a break from the corporate world to pursue something (even technically more advanced training/certifications to expand my skill set and experiences). Also, of all the candidates they've interviewed, surely they decided to select me because I have proved/showed my technical skill sets and ability to deliver and that my previous experiences plus newly acquired skill set will be great contributions to the team and company. I was completely shocked and disappointed. I thanked her but immediately letting her know that the number is way below what my minimum expectation of which we have discussed from the gecko. Also, I reiterated my values and ability to contribute greatly to the team and the I wanted to make a long term commitment but I cannot go by the number she proposed. She proceeded by saying maybe they can offer a small sign on bonus ... would that work? followed by "but you haven't been working for so long" and "don't you need health insurance" ... Wow! it screams to me this is so "prejudice" thinking! typical tactics to corner someone to accept something less. At this point of the negotiation, what I felt was pure insult and that their have been a lack of integrity on the recruiter's part, she purposely misrepresenting the info throughout the entire process and now, using such horrible tactics to corner me into accepting a low ball offer. She asked me again what would be my minimal accepting number. I gave her a number a let her know that if she would communicate the info back to hiring manager I'd appreciated very much but I cannot accept the position at the current number. She said she'll talk to the hiring team, but that it is out of her hand and that she'll be in touch. I thanks her and we ended our phone conversation. Deep down I have an inkling feeling that, that was probably the end of the negotiation and end of this relationship. Just as I thought, week+ passed, radio silence. My thoughts with regard to this company are "they are being cheap, play games, wasted my time, prejudice". I do not intend to give them a follow up phone call and I am at peace to let this opportunity pass. In my 17 years of services working with many employers and supporting countless contracts (both as employee and independent contracting) that if a company treated you unfairly from the gecko, it will only get worse overtime. My advise to any employer out there, respect and loyalty goes both ways. If you intentionally using what you "perceived" as a candidate's vulnerability to take advantage of them, you will loose out on the talented pool of peoples. And, they will tell their friends and anyone they meet about the negative experiences they ave with your company. Remember that if anyone is desperate enough to allow you to corner them into taking such an insulting low ball offer, don't expect they will give you their all when they come on board and most likely they are already on their way to jump ship. I have moved into a position that is very rewarding and a wonderful team since and am now with a company who knows how to conduct their business in a fair manner and with high integrity and am couldn't be more happy.
I got about halfway through this, and while it was interesting, it actually hurt my eyes. Paragraphs are your friend. Not trying to be rude, but if you want people to actually read your posts, you need to utilize the return key!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search