Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 12:21 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine was worried about being unemployed for a year back in 2007 and felt the need to include two jobs that lasted three months during that time. I was trying to explain to her that only active gaps matter on a resume not gaps in between jobs especially if it's only a year. Just like now my resume still has december 2011 on it which is a active gap. The gap I had in 2009 is no longer a issue because it's in between jobs now.

Anyone agree with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 12:25 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,772,397 times
I agree with you for the most part.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:26 PM

386 posts, read 1,052,403 times
I think employers are looking at ANY gap in a resume as an excuse to not hire you. It seems you not only have to fit the exact mold they are looking for, skills, years of exp, etc AND have been employed since getting out of school. Really ridiculous but when the economy turns around and they are screaming for workers, we will have our revenge

Old 02-26-2012, 12:30 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parttimetechie View Post
I think employers are looking at ANY gap in a resume as an excuse to not hire you. It seems you not only have to fit the exact mold they are looking for, skills, years of exp, etc AND have been employed since getting out of school. Really ridiculous but when the economy turns around and they are screaming for workers, we will have our revenge
How will a gap in 2005 matter in 2012? I actually think it all comes down to what you are doing in 2012 at this point if you are unemployed.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:58 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,846,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parttimetechie View Post
It's already starting to turn around. Unemployment is at 8.3% and is on a downward trend. Just look at this chart:

Unemployment in the U.S. - Google Public Data Explorer

As you can see, high unemployment comes and goes in cycles.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:35 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,943,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
it's already starting to turn around. Unemployment is at 8.3% and is on a downward trend. Just look at this chart:

unemployment in the u.s. - google public data explorer

as you can see, high unemployment comes and goes in cycles.
As you can see, some people only listen to headlines and pay no attention to the actual facts.

Do you agree that only "ACTIVE GAPS" matter on your resume?-employment-population-ratio.png

Pay attention people! Just because so many have fallen off the unemployment rolls and are ineligible for any further extensions, doesn't mean they don't need/want/are looking for work!

Old 02-26-2012, 01:36 PM

386 posts, read 1,052,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
As you can see, some people only listen to headlines and pay no attention to the actual facts.

Attachment 91521

Pay attention people! Just because so many have fallen off the unemployment rolls and are ineligible for any further extensions, doesn't mean they don't need/want/are looking for work!
Agree. When everyone who wants a job has one, then unemployment will end in this country.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
And some of those statistics are from large companies hiring large numbers of people for specific kinds of jobs, while many in other work are still out of work or being laid off, resulting in a slight reduction in the percentage unemployed. You have to look at the number of people actually out of work, and not just the number of claims for unemployment.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:45 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,032,229 times
The government manipulates unemployment statistics for political reasons. They do not count the under-employed, the chronically unemployed, or those who have given up looking for work.

The real unemployment rate is somewhere closer to 15-20 percent.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:13 PM

878 posts, read 1,653,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post

Anyone agree with this?
I agree... as I mentioned in an earlier thread this morning, I had 2 gaps in my employment... 11/09 thru 9/10 and 01/11 thru 05/11 and when I got the job here my boss said "We've been looking for someone for 2 months."

I have a manufacturing background and my job is machining Boeing parts. If they want you bad enough I don't think your unemployment will matter much.

The job market is pretty horrible in GA. Manufacturing jobs are leaving the state and the ones still there don't pay anything... Out here in WA it's a much stronger job market with Boeing and their suppliers on every corner. If you can't find a job where you live, you move to where you can find a job. I had to borrow from my parents to do that but I had little choice being in Tier 2 unemployment... time was running out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search