Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 07:55 AM

18,051 posts, read 15,645,534 times

Advertisements

Last Thurs, late afternoon got a call and an email from recruiter @ company I've already met with and applied through, though it's been about 3 months since I last spoke to them. This is a different recruiter than the one I met with prior.

I return this recruiter's call Friday morning. He had given me his cell# as his contact number, so I used that. He was obviously still at home (it was 9:20am). He didn't seem to remember too much about the fact that HE called me 16 hrs before. He then said he wanted to meet. I let him know I had been to their offices once before and had also been interviewed for a contract position at that time, but sure, we could meet and I would come in again.

He promised to let me know his availability when he got into the office on Friday. Nope. Never heard from him. I just emailed him this morning to follow up (since he obviously did not). Phone doesn't seem to be the best with this guy, so I'm using email (and not just relying on phone calls).

But seriously? Why so hot to trot Thursday between 4pm and 5pm but then by Fri morning it's who? (yawwwn?) and then flake out.

This, btw, has happened with just about every recruiter I've attempted to work with!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 08:25 AM

674 posts, read 1,161,335 times
Hmmmm, do you have like a bad criminal record or credit history? I know they can't 'legally' run a check on you without your acceptance and permission but companies do it anyway. Have you tried googling yourself? It's a good way to see what's out there. I found out a while back that some small town blogger put my name up on a list with 100 other college kids who got busted for underage drinking about 10 years ago. This was STILL on the internet and came up on page 1 of google when I searched my name. You never know what's out there. Recruiters do a LOT of searching on the internet about people before they even interview them. Also, if you have facebook, set that to private so no one can see your pictures or information unless you accept them. Recruiters love searching facebook for drunken or obscene photos just so they can rule you out.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:31 AM

LOL.

I have no criminal record at all! And my financial situation and credit are good. I've got 25+ years relevant work experience, an advanced degree, and live a clean (if somewhat boring) life. My Facebook profile is completely hidden, and there are no embarrassing photos or updates or anything on there. Unless someone is aghast at seeing a picture of my cat...which they wouldn't be able to see anyway, because my profile and all content is kept blocked!

Old 03-12-2012, 09:11 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,228 times
Unfortunately, you are probably just not too important to them. A contract position is seen as a temporary resource, and nothing more. When you applied a few months ago, they probably didn't have a pressing need for a contractor. Now, they probably do, and your resume popped up in a database. He called you and then just got busy on friday. It probably isn't anything personal, but a potential contractor just isn't the highest priority.

Just follow up again and don't take it personally.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:17 AM

4,315 posts, read 6,278,763 times
Honestly, I think about 99% of all recruiters are a complete waste of time. I'll get calls for these contract gigs that are lower level and pay less than my FTE position. When I hear one that sounds promising, I'll return the recruiter's call, but will never hear back. I think they just cast their net very wide, hoping something will stick. In addition, many of them do not have the subject matter expertise in my field, so it is often a waste of time for either myself or the hiring manager.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:11 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,764,996 times
Before I decided to go in "a different direction" I was looking for a j.o.b. and I tried working with "Robert Half/account temps". I found that those people have no problem wasting peoples time and money.

I understand the need to go in, fill out paperwork, test and interview. I did that at both the Robert half main office and the Account temps office.

What turned me off is they have no respect for applicants time. They called me a month after I was there asking me to come in to talk to a different rep about a job and they led me to believe they had several positions I might be a good fit for. I get in there and they focus on one job they are trying to fill that has NOTHING to do with my objectives. (it was a dead end job that would be a waste of my time) Had they ASKED on the phone I could have saved 112 miles of driving, an eight dollar parking charge and not wasted four hours of my day.

They had the nerve to call last month with the same B.S., "Can you come in and meet with.....". As I mentioned I am no longer considering employment so it was easy to say "No" but it seems as if these people have no consideration for people.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:17 AM

Actually the last time I was in their offices it was because they had a hot position that they wanted me for (as one of their candidates, but not the only one to be submitted) and asked me to come in ASAP. I worked with yet another of their consultants in their office that day to help customize my resume for that particular client's needs before submission. So, it wasn't a random visit just to say hello and get acquainted. I already did that before. It was a working session.

Now, 3 months later, this other guy I've never met, from the same agency, called me (first), left a VM, and then immediately sent an email. Apparently if you don't pick up the phone right as they call, you are then off the radar. Calling back isn't good enough--you have to be glued to your phone and never miss their live call or they won't retain your name in their head and they won't call you back.

If this had been an isolated case I'd chalk it up to one of those things. But this ADD-type behavior happens often, as I said in my original post.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:20 AM

Thank you Wartrace and Roadwarrior!

YOU GET IT!

I wish I could find a "new direction" to go in, cause this one....seems really bad.

Unfortunately the outplacement consultant (and this one is the 2nd I've been given) is horrible and mostly talks about herself and her 30 years of experience. But she has no actual concrete advice other than "get out there and network." Ummmm okay.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:08 PM

810 posts, read 1,762,874 times
I didn't understand until just now exactly how pointless certain recruiters are. I called Kelly services here and asked if I could set up a appointment for the interview and testing, oh did I get ahead of myself there. The oh so friendly girl on the phone told me that "I just need to submit my resume online and then they will call me if they see anything I am even remotely qualified for."
I really wanted to tell her to drop the attitude. Oh well I guess I won't waste any time with them. I thought their jobs were finding us jobs??

Old 03-12-2012, 06:14 PM

344 posts, read 1,051,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Last Thurs, late afternoon got a call and an email from recruiter @ company I've already met with and applied through, though it's been about 3 months since I last spoke to them. This is a different recruiter than the one I met with prior.

I return this recruiter's call Friday morning. He had given me his cell# as his contact number, so I used that. He was obviously still at home (it was 9:20am). He didn't seem to remember too much about the fact that HE called me 16 hrs before. He then said he wanted to meet. I let him know I had been to their offices once before and had also been interviewed for a contract position at that time, but sure, we could meet and I would come in again.

He promised to let me know his availability when he got into the office on Friday. Nope. Never heard from him. I just emailed him this morning to follow up (since he obviously did not). Phone doesn't seem to be the best with this guy, so I'm using email (and not just relying on phone calls).

But seriously? Why so hot to trot Thursday between 4pm and 5pm but then by Fri morning it's who? (yawwwn?) and then flake out.

This, btw, has happened with just about every recruiter I've attempted to work with!
they call a ton of ppl.

i'm a recruiter right now (no stupid temp contract crap, i just do permanent full time placement). but i call a lot of people, so if somebody tells me something like "yea i just got married and bought a new house, so i'm not looking to relocate" or something like that, i'm 95% sure to forget by that afternoon.

But once i get back on the phone with you and you remind me, i'll remember you.

but yea that's ****ty what he did. did you send him a resume? some recruiters have quotas of resumes/meetings they need to get per week. which means they'll lead people on and meet with them or ask for a resume even if they know they're not right for the role, which really sucks and wastes a lot of people's time.

i don't meet with people cause i place people across the entire country in a specific industry, so fortunately i don't have to waste anyones time by having them drive to my office, etc. Which has been done to me by recruiters during my job search. really pissed me off, i wanted to go tear their entire office apart the next day. Probably should have =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search