Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 03:28 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,030,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
In reality it varies from place to place. However, I find it more annoying when people call me than when they email me.

I am just basing this all from my own experiences.
Just curious, what is your field?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 03:30 PM

771 posts, read 1,396,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Just curious, what is your field?
Human Resources Consulting, but I do the research portion, not the consulting.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:37 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest1628 View Post
I want to follow up with a few jobs I submitted resumes too, however I do not want to sound desperate or annoying. I am finding online to do it no sooner than a week after the job posting has closed. Can anyone clarify for me if this is ok or still to soon?

Thank you.
No need to follow up after applying to a job. They have your information and if they like what they see they will call you. When you call and ask did you receive my application and they say yes what will you say after that? Ok thanks?-lol

Old 03-14-2012, 03:44 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
Linkedin is a marvelous tool that many people don't use. What I do is I send in my application/resume/cover letter. Then right after I email the Hiring Manager with a super quick introduction and my Linkedin profile link to supplement it.

It works. Because they will 9 out 10 times click on it, see what you are made of and it will provide info that neither your cover letter or resume can provide (that's if you have a good profile). Also in Linkedin you can see if it was successful because it will tell you who has looked at your profile.

Not only will they see you, but it will make you stand out from the crown and also show that you are good at networking and strategic in how you do things.
Forgot something really important--the hiring manager will be able to see your recommendations from customers, coworkers, and employers. That's worth it's weight in gold.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:27 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
I do not see where follow-up calls benefit at all. Although I am a receptionist, over the years I've had people call and walk in unannounced to follow up after submitting applications and even interviews. And I can remember peskiness definitely costing people opportunities. There are people who don't like to be "pestered" or put on the spot, and I'm one of them. I know that this tactic would definitely NOT work with me.

If you're the one they want, they'll offer the job without your having to do a thing. Save the time and the bother.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:36 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I do not see where follow-up calls benefit at all. Although I am a receptionist, over the years I've had people call and walk in unannounced to follow up after submitting applications and even interviews. And I can remember peskiness definitely costing people opportunities. There are people who don't like to be "pestered" or put on the spot, and I'm one of them. I know that this tactic would definitely NOT work with me.

If you're the one they want, they'll offer the job without your having to do a thing. Save the time and the bother.
I just never knew what the purpose of it was to follow up on a application. You call and they say yes we have it and then what? lol

Old 03-14-2012, 05:20 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,030,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I just never knew what the purpose of it was to follow up on a application. You call and they say yes we have it and then what? lol
You don't call to ask if they got it. You call to introduce yourself, reiterate your interest in the position, and inquire about scheduling an interview. That's it, that's all.

In my field, calling puts you at an advantage over the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search