Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 03:55 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,002,043 times

Advertisements

I believe many of the job ads are fakes, too.
I've seen one that's been on line for nearly a year, for goodness sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 04:18 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
What the hell are you talking about? I earn six figures for a Fortune 100 company.

I'm simply taking the devil's advocate position, because some of us have sympathy for frustrated job seekers.

By the way, your last sentence was completely unnecessary. Belittling people who have different points-of-view tends to erode your credibility.
Again re-read before you rise up in self righteous indignation.

I have the utmost sympathy for frustrated job seekers. I try to get them to look outside the box and learn at least something.

It's wonderful that you earn six figures as an employee of a Fortune 100 company and apparently feel you have insight where the unemployed who post here are concerned. Cheers!

Old 03-23-2012, 04:19 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
Ugh, this is more of a rant but anyone can join in. I HATE this game of trying to find a job.

I'm so pessimistic these days when applying for one. I applied to a job almost 2 days ago and I feel I'm perfect for it. I fit the description perfectly. I haven't heard anything yet, which is to be expected, but I'm so negative about it that I'm instantly thinking great, I won't get it. They won't call me. I probably should have said something differently. I probably shouldn't have written so-and-so the way I did.

Why am I like this? Because this is a freaking game! Seems like with the way things are, employers just find the dumbest things to count against anyone these days.

I don't know, am I the only person who has become so negative like this when it comes to the whole job search and applying game?

Sorry to rant. Ugh.
I completely understand what you are saying and I have been there myself..totally discouraged by the whole thing. But then, you can go to other post on this forum where people are stressed about which job offer to take. One only allows them to have 1000 left over at the end of the month and the other only 500 but it`s a better job, etc. You really see both ends of the spectrum on this forum.
But hang in there. Sometimes you just have to make yourself focus on positive things. The negative and no call back after interviews can wear you down if you let it. Easier said than done, I know.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:47 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,030,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Again re-read before you rise up in self righteous indignation.

I have the utmost sympathy for frustrated job seekers. I try to get them to look outside the box and learn at least something.

It's wonderful that you earn six figures as an employee of a Fortune 100 company and apparently feel you have insight where the unemployed who post here are concerned. Cheers!
Self-righteous indignation? Lol, what are you, Joel Osteen or something?

I can offer my opinion wherever I want to in these forums as long as I abide by the terms of service. I don't have to explain myself to you or anyone else with an alias on this website that isn't a moderator or an administrator.

Your condescension is not appreciated. Here's some advice: if you don't like what I have to say that much, don't respond. Simple as that.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:47 PM

52 posts, read 88,599 times
Quote:
The end result is that I've never collected unemployment in 50 years of working because I've simply got out there and done what has to be done to keep the wolf from the door. The bad spots have always been followed by good stints.
Given your life experience and lack of unemployment crises in your life, I would say you are the last credible source for comment on a thread where the OP was clearly ranting (and even apologized for doing so). Apparently, your "utmost sympathy" for the unemployed is telling them that they haven't done what has to be done. How do you know how much effort someone has put into something? Clearly, you don't. Obviously, you do not understand what it is to have bad spot after bad spot after bad spot because, as you state, all your bad spots have been followed by good stints. I find it utterly amazing how some people contribute their positive results to nothing other than their hard work when, in reality, luck always plays some sort of role.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:50 PM

52 posts, read 88,599 times
Quote:
It's a bit of hard work
Once again, the assumption that an unemployed person refuses to work hard.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:07 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,899 times
It is funny to me people make assumptions about the unemployed and hard work. I am a hard worker and have a good work ethic. I have been told this by my bosses of jobs I have had. It means almost nothing why? Because I am handicapped simple as that. They worry about the medical costs and risk of be sued under ADA. So you end up with temp or part time work. The rate of handicapped people working is 17.9%. This is down from 20% a few years ago. Of the 17.9% working half are part time workers. Less then 10% of the handicapped population works full time. Things are not the same for everyone. Just because you are a hard worker. It does not mean you will land a job or even keep one.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:22 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
The opening could be FAKE. I applied to a job 2 days ago also that I was a good fit for and have not heard anything back. Or they may call a week later after a job was posted. Example below

I applied for a job on 3/6/11 and they called me on 3/14/11.

So don't expect a call if you just applied two days ago. And I know what you are probably saying..."why is it taking them so long to call me and I fit all the qualifications?"

Did you get any calls from either of these?

I hope something comes your way man. Hang in there.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:50 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
What the hell are you talking about? I earn six figures for a Fortune 100 company.

I'm simply taking the devil's advocate position, because some of us have sympathy for frustrated job seekers.

By the way, your last sentence was completely unnecessary. Belittling people who have different points-of-view tends to erode your credibility.
Just put her on your ignore list because she tends to do stuff like that all the time.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:52 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikorocko28 View Post
Given your life experience and lack of unemployment crises in your life, I would say you are the last credible source for comment on a thread where the OP was clearly ranting (and even apologized for doing so). Apparently, your "utmost sympathy" for the unemployed is telling them that they haven't done what has to be done. How do you know how much effort someone has put into something? Clearly, you don't. Obviously, you do not understand what it is to have bad spot after bad spot after bad spot because, as you state, all your bad spots have been followed by good stints. I find it utterly amazing how some people contribute their positive results to nothing other than their hard work when, in reality, luck always plays some sort of role.
That's the 4th time she has said that on this board. I think she wants to be rewarded for never being on unemployment-lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search