Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 09:15 PM

6 posts, read 7,467 times

Advertisements

Hello, City-Data!

There is so much wonderful information here! The reason for my posting is because I recently started a new job and I am unhappy and wish to seek other employment. I have done some networking and am hoping for an interview in the near future. I have only been at my current position for a few weeks and I have not included it on my resume. How should I approach this when the interviewer asks about my work situation? I would like to be professional about this. My current position has nothing to do with my previous position. They are entry level jobs in unrelated industries. The job I hope to interview for is in the same industry as my previous job. I try not to jump around and was at the previous position almost two years. Any advice about approaching this in an interview setting is most appreciated.

Thank you,
Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 09:23 PM

428 posts, read 900,529 times
Well I guess start with why you are unhappy with your present situation and whats causing you to look elsewhere???If its only been a few weeks you might want to adjust first before jumping ship unless whatever thats cause your unhappiness is a deal breaker for you. In the end I would add it to your resume if youve been for over 2 months and when its asked why youre looking for work just be as honest as you can be without seeming like your whiney. Defiantly dont lie cause it wont work.... And a side not be prepared for the inevitable posts of " suck it up and deal with it" advice... Just sayin...

Old 03-28-2012, 09:31 PM

Hi Tara! Thank you for replying. Without going into detail- yes, there have been some deal breakers. I've found that the position isn't exactly what I expected. Not having a specific job type such as IT or programmer, I am forced to take low totem pole type jobs.

I will prepare myself for the types of posts you mentioned. I've always been told "if you're unhappy, fix it."
I don't plan on leaving until I've accepted a new job but I am unhappy and would like to make the changes necessary in order to be happy. I also believe that the new position I have my eye on is in a field where I would like to make a career and it offers more room fr advancement.

I don't want to lie which is why I seek advice from this wonderful forum. I am still a bit in the dark about what to do?

Old 03-28-2012, 09:38 PM

428 posts, read 900,529 times
Well if what your applying for is in the field where you want your career to be.. Just say that.. Something like Im really interested in this field, I want this to be my next career and Im excited for this opportunity all that jazz. Of course you can add that your current position was just a stepping stone and your responsibilites arent what you thought they were going to be so your looking elsewhere...

Old 03-29-2012, 07:30 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
With it only being a few weeks it can be challenging. If it were a bit longer easily you could say it isn't the right fit.

I had a similar situation, the scope of the job changed and two of my supervisers quit just after I was hired. I knew I wasn't going to last, but made the best of it for almost a year. I started interviewing about four months in for a new job. At that time I just explained it wasn't the right fit and not what I was told the job would be.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:03 AM

18,722 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Am I the only one who thinks it would be just fine to skip mentioning the current job? After all, if it were a few years or a few jobs down the road, that would never be on the resume.
Maybe I'm just skeezy, but I'd never mention it. To explain the small gap between last job and new application, OP could have been traveling or tending to a (resolved) family matter, if the question even comes up.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:38 AM

Do you tell them that you are currently jobless? I would feel bad lying and probably won't be able to.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:03 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
I would tell them you thought you might like to try this new field and have very quickly realized it's not for you and you wish to return to your original field before the new employer invests more time in you. Many of us have made this mistake at one point in time or another in our careers. By wording it that way it's neutral and shows you respect the employer.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:09 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Tell them it is a temporary position. Even if it is a full-time job that is not via a temp agency, in your mind, it is a temporary position. Your intent was to take this job in the interim while you searched for a job in your normal line of work. Just give them the first sentence (It's a temporary position) and then wait for the next interview question.

Last edited by sware2cod; 03-30-2012 at 07:28 AM..

Old 03-30-2012, 06:11 AM

Thank you, annerk. That sounds like a great way to approach this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search