Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 08:23 PM

428 posts, read 900,480 times

Advertisements

Ok so the boyfriend wants to apply for a job he heard they were advertising for.. Closer to home and possibly more money

Anyways due to my laptop crashing in Dec because of a evil virus I lost everything including his resume. Which would of needed to be updated anyways.

I offered to redo it because well my computer ate it and I have lots of free time these days... I have a couple questions..

1) Whats the rule about putting places that are no longer in business on your resume.. He has a couple Die Cast places that have since closed and no longer in business. Do I still put them on there even though they will be unable to contact them ?

2) This is for all you factory people out there.... Should there be a seperate section like skills and abilities to put specific types of Machines hes able to run?

I told him to write everything down including specific machines and what he did with them and give it to me.

So thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 08:53 PM

878 posts, read 1,653,189 times
That sounds about right. My resume lists the machines I have experience with (manual and CNC) and my duties with each... as well as other experience such as ISO 9001 quality and software certifications such as AutoCad.

I went back 10 years on my resume regardless of former employer status.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:55 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
I would not leave relevant jobs off just because the company is out of business.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
That sounds about right. My resume lists the machines I have experience with (manual and CNC) and my duties with each... as well as other experience such as ISO 9001 quality and software certifications such as AutoCad.

I went back 10 years on my resume regardless of former employer status.

Thanks bunches...

Old 04-11-2012, 09:13 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Does he have any supervisors phone numbers at the companies out of business? If so, they can still attest to what he did, work ethic, skill, dates of employment, etc.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:32 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Does he have any supervisors phone numbers at the companies out of business? If so, they can still attest to what he did, work ethic, skill, dates of employment, etc.
If not, you can probably lie and get away with it. Get a friend to pretend to be the supervisor from the bankrupt company.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:42 PM

LOL Rock on... He told me another person he works with was thinking about applying. I told him if that personhe gave me his info I'd do his resume too for a fee

Old 04-11-2012, 10:03 PM

29,815 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Definitely include skills. Types of machines are very important. Some places are only looking for someone to run one type of machine. Include any vocational studies, classes, college classes etc. Bring along a college transcript if he has any college classes or certifications.

Previous employers are important, but what can be of paramount importance are references. Those are the folks who should be testifying for what he is capable of, what potential he might have, what type of employee he is, etc. If they are trying to fill a skilled trades position, they will probably have him perform some of the typical duties of the job like a weld test, or practice checking CNC parts, etc. Blue print reading is also common.

What type of factory position is he applying for? If it's a general labor position, they probably won't be expecting much in the way of a resume.

Me personally, I simply list all the skills related to the job I am applying for. I have strong references though, so I let them do the talking for me. I also expect a thorough evaluation of my skills through a battery of tests. In depth math tests are extremely common as well for the good jobs, so bring a calculator.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:13 PM

I honestly dont know. He heard a commerical on the radio told me to google said place because he and his co worker wanted to know where it was. I printed off a map for him to take to his coworker tomorrow.Tried to google the name and jobs in our area and didnt find much so As far as what there hiring for no clue. There website career section was pretty vague all it said was to download the app and have a resume and either drop it off, fax it or mail it to them. He has the references his current job loves him and would seriously would be hurting if him and the other guy leave since they work the most OT of all the people on there shift. Doubt he would leave the current job for general labor I think its for specific type of machines but without him giving me the info to do his resume I can only speak in general terms....

Old 04-11-2012, 10:29 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
yeah he can still list the companies that are out of business as long as he contact numbers for former supervisors. but i don't a contact number is necessary if the business that closed wasn't his most recent job. i'm still mad i have to put of company on my resume that's out of business
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search