Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 11,159 times

Advertisements

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: California

So I’m negotiating a contract position right now with a company. I’m going through a recruiting agency. The recruiter’s company has asked me to fill out a job application which includes employment history. I made a lie on my employment history that I last worked in an engineering position in 2009 when actually it was late 2008 (I just wrote 2007-2009 for employment rather than months). I’m trying to get back into engineering and that’s why I made the lie on the resume. I understand that I shouldn't lie but that's not the point of this thread!

So my question is, when I fill out this application, should I include the lie or just tell the truth? But then the recruiter will see that I put 2008 on the application but on the resume I put 2009. Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 03:32 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Come clean with your recruiter.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:36 PM

2 posts, read 11,159 times
Thank you for the response. I'm leaning towards that direction. Thanks!

Old 04-23-2012, 04:44 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Here is my rule.

A resume is a item the person probably thought out long and hard. Details were checked. Spelling was checked. Names and adresses were checked. use on phrase or another were considered and a a decission made. Pretty much every sentence, word and letter was reveiewed several times and carefully choosen. To me, everything in it has been checked so many ways by the person that a mistake is a big deal.

An application often is not done over the course of days or weeks. Its based sometimes on the recollection of the person. many times they didn't even expect what was on it. So much details are being asked that brains sometimes move faster than hand. Errors that may be caught with myuch reveiw can easily be overlooked on an application. Now if the application was a take it home and fill it in type of application, I expect everything to be fairly accurate. Otherwise, a fill it in here and give it to the receptionist type is a snapshoot but may not be accurate due to human error.

SO, a mistake on an application can be easly explained and often is the case as nothing but thinking ahead of the writing, or just an oversight. No big deal if you recognize it and explain it as the mistake and don;t try to pass it off as reality. However, a mistake on a resume is a BIG RED FLAG and you would have to have one heck of an explaination to overcome an error on the resume

Old 04-23-2012, 08:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
My people are doing very detailed work and have to undergo a rather rigorous background check, so when I review applications and resumes and find any discrepancy between the two it gets rejected.
Either someone lied or is careless, either way we can't use them.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:47 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
My people are doing very detailed work and have to undergo a rather rigorous background check, so when I review applications and resumes and find any discrepancy between the two it gets rejected.
Either someone lied or is careless, either way we can't use them.

Well I think my company probably at one time would have been like that, but many things that are done are done based on actual experience. So it wouldn't surpirse me if the philosophy to go easy on on-site filled out aplications is due to some executives and managers being asked to fill out applications onthe spot and them screwing dates up big time

My personal belief is to go easier on the application filled out on the spot and get tougher and tougher on suspect material the longer they have to fill it in. A fill it out at home appication may have a honest oversight such as a date of 2015 instead of 2005. But a resume is too much a precise tought out process that any errors had to be deliberate which will torpedo a person chances.

But nothing rips it as a overly embellished resume that clearly was a attempt to pass off education and experience for something it was not.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:50 AM

11 posts, read 24,773 times
Resumes are a marketing tool created by the job seeker to highlight most relevant education and experience.

Applications are a legal document and should be extremely accurate with dates and employers. It's more important to get the app correctly than resume.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:36 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I would go with consistency in whatever it was you stated originally, no matter what that is.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:50 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELomax View Post
Resumes are a marketing tool created by the job seeker to highlight most relevant education and experience.

Applications are a legal document and should be extremely accurate with dates and employers. It's more important to get the app correctly than resume.
Inconsistencies trigger red flags and very often trigger 'thank you for expressing interest'. The same goes for resumes and profiles. Just because you have not accessed a job board in ages or applied for a different position two years ago does not make the information go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search