Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 11:21 PM

51 posts, read 105,127 times

Advertisements

I have recieved an offer that I am excited about!
My dilemma is how to answer the offer letter without accepting or declining, professionally and continuing to highlight I am pretty confident of my acceptance? Money isn't really the issue. And I am not sure how to ask if it's the final offer or request more considering the current employment situation for many. What I am interested in is whether they offer relocation assistance. This was not mentioned in the initial offer.

How would you eloquently state that you are very interested in accepting, but you want to get clarification on other assistance options. I personally would prefer to ask via phone rather than state my questions in an email. I don't want to blow this or potentially risk rescinding of the offer. The entire interview process has been via phone. If I were to pose the question over the phone, I think I would have greater success by being able to guage how open additional options are. Any advice?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 06:08 AM

93 posts, read 334,923 times
You can call and express your interest in the position. Tell them before you can accept the job offer, you have one question if rolocation package is possible. You never know unless you ask! Either it is a yes or no.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:19 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
did they send any information about other benefits such as health, paid time off, etc? If not ask them about the benefits package. If so, phone and say you were wondering what the relocation package is for the position, I think its fine to phone and not email your questions. But if you do accept, include your understanding of the inclusion of any promises made verbally....

Old 05-03-2012, 07:53 AM

154 posts, read 524,698 times
As part of the offer letter they should have provided information on benefits. If they haven't you can ask for that information before accepting the offer. You can also ask if there are any relocation benefits as well before accepting the offer.

When you are negotiating, there is give and take. If there are no relocation benefits, you can ask for a sign-on bonus or you could ask for a higher first year bonus, etc. Depending on the type of position and company, there are lots of things you can negotiate from salary rates, annual and sign-on, allowances for mobile phone, vacation time, etc.

Also check your tax laws on writeoffs related to relocation. You can also ask the company to gross-up the relocation cost. Relocation benefits that a company pays you are taxable. When a company grosses-up the relocation benefit, they pay you additional funds to cover the tax liability.

Good Luck.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:02 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Call them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search