Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 08:57 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,637,077 times

Advertisements

I recently graduated from college with a degree in Marketing and Finance and a year of internship experience at a Fortune 100 company in their internal communications department and a term interning in the marketing department of a local hospital.

After busting my chops since January applying for hundreds of jobs, I had lined up 3 interviews this week and next week.

Company A: Medium sized company family-owned (100 employees) in creative industry. Position offered is a combination of Admin Assistant / Marketing position with limited room for long-term growth. Reports to Director of Marketing. About 75+ minute commute with traffic.

Company B: Large Fortune 500 company in same industry I interned for a year at. Position offered has a lot of room for growth (both within unit and other locations within company) and would be purely a creative marketing position. Commute is 35-40 minutes with traffic This has been my "#1" ideal job since applying.

Company C: Large national company with limited opportunity for growth in local office, but could expand further within other units. Creative design marketing position. 45 minute commute with traffic.

Situation:

Interviewed with Company A on Tuesday. Met with the Dir of Marketing (my supervisor). We got along really well, and he liked what I could bring to the company (stated during interview). Was told that I would be contacted by the end of the following week.

Interviewed with Company B today (Thursday). Met with two people in the marketing department who also liked the relevant industry experience and the work I had done with my past internships. Met with a third individual in the marketing department, who after closing the door said "relax, the previous two really seemed to like you." We had some small chit-chat about common interests (he read on my resume about my involvement with photography and being a varsity Track/Cross Country athlete), and touched on a few specifics of the job. During this third interview, the 2nd person came back in and said I should meet with a woman from HR afterwords. I meet with HR, and she has some "generic" questions, not really relevant to the job (Why did I choose the college I went to etc). Was told I would get a call back by the end of next week.

I recieved a call back from Company A this afternoon to come in and have a follow up interview with the president of the company tomorrow (Friday).

Interview with company C is next Tuesday.

QUESTIONS:

If company A offers me a job tomorrow, how can I delay to weigh all of my options? My ideal job is company B. I can call company B on Monday and explain I have another offer, but was extremely interested in working for B, but I may not hear back the same day. Company C is a backup at the moment.

If offered a position, how can I negotiate salary? I have a vague range of what I am willing to accept (43k+) based on what other recent grads in similar fields are making. I am assuming that company B and C will offer higher salaries than the smaller company and B and C have more room for growth.

If I accept A, I'd want to move from my parent's home ASAP to cut on that commute time, costing me an additional $700/month for rent that I could otherwise be saving staying at home. B and C i'd be more willing to stay at home for 6 months or so to put more in the bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 09:21 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
You can't push it too much. Maybe delay a few days, but I wouldn't try for anything more. As for how you can negotiate salary, you just do. They make an offer and if you are not happy with it counter back with something else. Don't be surprised though if they won't budge.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:30 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
Also, be willing to walk away. A company can refuse to meet your monetary needs, and they can refuse to give you time to consider. I think the not giving time to consider is terrible but some expect you to accept during the offer.

Also, keep in mind that a company is always free to withdraw an offer. Negotiating and taking time can cause this. I am not saying it happens all the time, actually it is pretty rare, but it is not out of the realm of possibility.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:12 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
When we make an offer and the applicant delays the commitment, we will often give them a deadline of 48 hours, then withdraw the offer and go with the next person. In the rare case where the first choice is that much better than the rest we will work on them with more details on the benefits of working for us, perhaps offer a tour of our facilities. Even then no employer wants to beg someone to work for them, signs that the person is weighing options is seen as a negative, the best performers are usually those who really want to work there, even if it's for less money.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:23 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Two days is stretching it. If we make you an offer on Tuesday, we understand you want to think about it overnight, maybe talk to your significant other, crunch some numbers, etc., but we expect an answer on Weds.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:55 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
I recently graduated from college with a degree in Marketing and Finance and a year of internship experience at a Fortune 100 company in their internal communications department and a term interning in the marketing department of a local hospital.

After busting my chops since January applying for hundreds of jobs, I had lined up 3 interviews this week and next week.

Company A: Medium sized company family-owned (100 employees) in creative industry. Position offered is a combination of Admin Assistant / Marketing position with limited room for long-term growth. Reports to Director of Marketing. About 75+ minute commute with traffic.

Company B: Large Fortune 500 company in same industry I interned for a year at. Position offered has a lot of room for growth (both within unit and other locations within company) and would be purely a creative marketing position. Commute is 35-40 minutes with traffic This has been my "#1" ideal job since applying.

Company C: Large national company with limited opportunity for growth in local office, but could expand further within other units. Creative design marketing position. 45 minute commute with traffic.

Situation:

Interviewed with Company A on Tuesday. Met with the Dir of Marketing (my supervisor). We got along really well, and he liked what I could bring to the company (stated during interview). Was told that I would be contacted by the end of the following week.

Interviewed with Company B today (Thursday). Met with two people in the marketing department who also liked the relevant industry experience and the work I had done with my past internships. Met with a third individual in the marketing department, who after closing the door said "relax, the previous two really seemed to like you." We had some small chit-chat about common interests (he read on my resume about my involvement with photography and being a varsity Track/Cross Country athlete), and touched on a few specifics of the job. During this third interview, the 2nd person came back in and said I should meet with a woman from HR afterwords. I meet with HR, and she has some "generic" questions, not really relevant to the job (Why did I choose the college I went to etc). Was told I would get a call back by the end of next week.

I recieved a call back from Company A this afternoon to come in and have a follow up interview with the president of the company tomorrow (Friday).

Interview with company C is next Tuesday.

QUESTIONS:

If company A offers me a job tomorrow, how can I delay to weigh all of my options? My ideal job is company B. I can call company B on Monday and explain I have another offer, but was extremely interested in working for B, but I may not hear back the same day. Company C is a backup at the moment.

If offered a position, how can I negotiate salary? I have a vague range of what I am willing to accept (43k+) based on what other recent grads in similar fields are making. I am assuming that company B and C will offer higher salaries than the smaller company and B and C have more room for growth.

If I accept A, I'd want to move from my parent's home ASAP to cut on that commute time, costing me an additional $700/month for rent that I could otherwise be saving staying at home. B and C i'd be more willing to stay at home for 6 months or so to put more in the bank.
You need to be more prepared with what you want to make and what you are willing to settle for. You can't really delay much. If are in a position where you have only 1 offer you pretty much have to decide it on it's own merits. What do you think the best you can hope for is?
You are in a slightly better position than someone who is laid off, because you have a soft landing spot, and so if an offer comes in and you don't like it, you can decide to turn it down(versus someone who has to pay the rent next month...). But who knows when the next offer will come. If you get the offer(from the less desirable employer) I would immediately call the other company and ask where they are and politely inquire whether their decision can be expedited.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:47 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,481,447 times
I wouldn't delay at all. If company A makes you an offer, counter with a salary that you would like. See what they will come back with and accept. Don't tell company B anything.

Go to your interview with company C on Tuesday.

Follow up with company B on Friday if they don't get back to you.

Since you are a new grad, you have to understand that you have to do what is best for you. I'm saying accept company A's offer because you never know what will happen. I'm assuming they will give you a start date a few weeks out, to run background checks etc. By then you should hear from company B and if company B makes an offer, call company A and say you found a better opportunity. My brother did this with NASA and they were very understanding. Even if you start work at company A and company B calls you, you can quit and go work for company B. Remember it's employment at will. Use company C as backup.

Don't do anything with your living arrangements until you are sure of where you will be working.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:53 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,637,077 times
Well I got the offer for A.... and as I was hanging up on the phone from the call, I got an offer from B (early!)

YAY

Old 06-02-2012, 07:55 AM

14 posts, read 121,085 times
Congrats on the offer!

It's a bit like asking a girl to the prom. If she says yes enthusiastically, you are going to feel great on prom night. If she says "I'm waiting to see if Billy asks me," then it dampens the mood a bit. Anything over 1-2 days will usually turn things a bit sour.

Just be honest about your situation and do what is best for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search