Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 05:57 PM

57 posts, read 252,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well that's good that he got back to you like he said he would, but why would you take a 3 month contract position when you have been offered a full time job?

You're asking about benefits, so it sounds like you need them and aren't on a spouse/partner's benefits.

They're not going to offer you benefits on a three month assignment.

Sorry, I wouldn't risk that this might be a trial period to test you out, when you have another offer on the table.

Most jobs have a probationary period of three to six months, so it's not like they couldn't have hired you and released you.

I would pass on this and take the full time job.

JMO.
Full time job has zero growth potential and pays very very little. $10K less what I was making. It's really not ideal for me. I understand its a full time job, but I think this 3 month contract would have much more potential for moving into a different permanent job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 06:13 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akinva View Post
Full time job has zero growth potential and pays very very little. $10K less what I was making. It's really not ideal for me. I understand its a full time job, but I think this 3 month contract would have much more potential for moving into a different permanent job.
Well you know your financial situation better than anyone else. I would find out though if they're paying you with a 1099, which means if at the end of the three months you're not offered a full time job, you're also not eligible for unemployment benefits.

I would also ask is it only for three months or could it be extended and ask about it leading to a full time job, don't assume that it will. Find out what exactly you would be working on and is it just a project that once completed means they no longer need you.

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search