Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 05:03 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,825,286 times

Advertisements

Every time I look for a job I stress over this scenario. What happens if I am offered a job and I take it, then a week or two later I get a better offer (since I'm sending my resume all over the place?) I'm sure employers realize this could happen. But I don't want to say I'm waiting to hear back from another company, cause then neither one might hire me. I can't afford to not take a job if it's offered, cause 100+ people apply for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 05:29 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,058,820 times
What if it doesn't happen? What if you take a job and none of the others even bother to call you? At least you'll have your bills paid!

I just accepted a job offer on Friday. It doesn't pay all that well, but I took it since no one else was offering me a job. It's been three days since I accepted the job - altho I don't start for two weeks, and still no calls from anyone!

In this economy and recession, I think it would be wise to take what is offered to you, and don't get your hopes up that others will call you - since that may not happen at all.

Maybe if the job you take isn't quite to your liking, you can at least pay some bills and eat and still look for other jobs while you're working.

That's what I may end up doing if I don't like my new job. But I will give it a chance first.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:25 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,077,860 times
Take the job you are offered. These other ones may not materialize or perhaps they may change their minds (due to funding) and you will be out of luck.

I'm going to to take the next job offered (crossed fingers) just to get off this 'job search' roller coaster and get my life normalized again.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:54 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,639,724 times
There are no guarantees in this job market so the safe thing to do would be to accept the offer (assuming it's a job you want/need) and then you can always see what happens. The last thing you want to do is pass on a job offer because your hoping for something that never comes along.

When I was looking for a job last year, I had 3 companies I was in final rounds with and hoping to get at least 1 offer from. 1 company went with someone else and I didn't get a offer. I received an offer from company 2, which was a good job/company but I was hoping for a offer from company 3. Company 2 gave me a week to accept the offer. During that week, I had my last interview with company 3, which at the end of the interview, the senior manager told me they liked me and plan on making an offer. I explained to them that I would accept their offer, however, I already had a offer on the table so I would need some assurance before I decline.

The problem was company 3 was a UK company so they needed senior mgmt to sign off on the offer, which took over a week to do and company 2 wanted an answer from me. Even though I was told a offer was coming, I accepted company 2 anyway because again, it was no guarantees. For all I knew, senior manager on company 3 might have a change of heart and I would be screwed.

In the end, I did get a offer from company 3, which offered $10K more than company 2 and was a better opportunity. I called company 2 back and told them I could not accept the offer anymore (they weren't particularly happy). I am still with company 3 today and it has been good for the past year.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:21 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,422,498 times
Take the first offer that comes your way.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:37 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,755,512 times
I am kind of in the same boat. What is you take the first job that is offered and the job that you were hoping for DOES give you an offer. Do you quit that new job to take the one that you really want?

Old 10-06-2009, 09:44 AM

91 posts, read 528,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
I am kind of in the same boat. What is you take the first job that is offered and the job that you were hoping for DOES give you an offer. Do you quit that new job to take the one that you really want?
I've done that a couple times.I was at both jobs for a week before the one I really wanted called.
I accepted but I only left with a 2 or 3 day notice to both.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:49 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,198,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
Take the first offer that comes your way.
I agree !

Just like bird hunting---" one in the hand is worth 2 in the bush"

Old 10-06-2009, 11:01 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,639,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiest50 View Post
I've done that a couple times.I was at both jobs for a week before the one I really wanted called.
I accepted but I only left with a 2 or 3 day notice to both.
The problem with that is, depending on the industry you work for, you take the risk of burning bridges when you leave a company with 2 days notice after a week on the job. So it's a factor that needs to be considered. I know I've probably burned some bridges with the 2 managers when I did that last year, and hope it doesn't wind up hurting me down the line. In my industry, finance and banking, it's a small world and as many firms as there are, I'm still surprised how many people know each other.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:15 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
Do what's best for you and your family. If a better job comes along, quit the one you have. Don't agonize over it any longer than that company you work for today would hesitate over laying you off if necessary.

If possible, negotiate your start date so you can give notice. If you can't, you can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search