Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 04:03 PM

180 posts, read 475,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Agreed. I am so tired of seeing ads for "a major engineering company" that only lists the state and some vague job description at best. Oh, sure... you can apply, and you won't hear anything back. Or, worse, you WILL hear something back and end up being annoyed regularly by temp recruiters who don't have any real work, but sure want to chat with you about silly "jobs" that won't even pay your bills and which usually don't exist!
Usually that major engineering company ad goes something like this-----

Major Engineering Company in Pheonix, AZ is experiencing major growth. Must have Highschool diploma and college degree. Send resume as well as cover letter.-----

Thats the end. Never says anything about who to send resume too, what the company name is, location, or even a company email to send it to.
Ugh, sorry for the rant. Had to get that off my chest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 04:15 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyurban View Post
Usually that major engineering company ad goes something like this-----

Major Engineering Company in Pheonix, AZ is experiencing major growth. Must have Highschool diploma and college degree. Send resume as well as cover letter.-----

Thats the end. Never says anything about who to send resume too, what the company name is, location, or even a company email to send it to.
Ugh, sorry for the rant. Had to get that off my chest.
My favorites are the ones that include amazing typos or other insanity, such as:

XYZ Company in Pheonix, AZ is experience major growth! Looking for engineers NOW!

Requirements:

- 4-year degree in EE, ME, CE, MM, or BS
- Experience with CAD
- Experience in plastic
- Problem solver
- Motivator!

Okay... so what IS this job? And where? And why can it not be verified against any known list of jobs in the area? And why do I hear nothing back even if I do apply? I know... because the job doesn't exist!

I really do wonder how these companies stay in business if they aren't actually placing candidates and aren't even trying to hide the lack of jobs?

Old 07-09-2012, 04:40 PM

180 posts, read 475,325 times
Quote:
My favorites are the ones that include amazing typos or other insanity, such as:

XYZ Company in Pheonix, AZ is experience major growth! Looking for engineers NOW!

Requirements:

- 4-year degree in EE, ME, CE, MM, or BS
- Experience with CAD
- Experience in plastic
- Problem solver
- Motivator!

Okay... so what IS this job? And where? And why can it not be verified against any known list of jobs in the area? And why do I hear nothing back even if I do apply? I know... because the job doesn't exist!

I really do wonder how these companies stay in business if they aren't actually placing candidates and aren't even trying to hide the lack of jobs?
I love that bolded and all caps NOW. As if they're really in need of people.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:44 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
There are numerous agencies disguised as clients, with names such as "Engineerinrg." or "Construction." Apply anyway, your resume might rise to their attention and you get an interview with a client company. I don't know how many I am registered with. I lost count at 40. How do they stay in business? Collect 1000 resumes, place ten every year and you can make good money.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:50 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,515,416 times
When they don't post the name of the company then they can't be that needy. The idea that they would be swamped with resumes...well, if they are SO in need, isn't that what they want?? Lots of applicants?

Ever get those applications that turn out to be signing up for literature or being contacted by some SKOOL, some low brow trade school?

Old 07-11-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
I love that bolded and all caps NOW. As if they're really in need of people.
The sad part is that this made-up crummy ad is about the quality of most of them, complete with spelling errors.

One of my favorites was the one that said the work would be "in plastic" - I can't do the mangled wording of the job description justice, but it strongly implied that I would be physically placed IN PLASTIC to work on the program?! Yeah, I know what they meant to say, but still... wow! And these clowns who can't write a half-way understable English sentence are employed and I'm not... geez...

Old 07-11-2012, 06:17 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Thank you. Company Name, Website, and Address should all be mandatory. If those cannot be presented then they should not be allowed to post.
I don't see how this would work.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't see how this would work.
The same way job candidates can't submit applications without a name, an address, and so on.

Sure, the worthless recruiting company could fill in fake information, but that might be illegal if they were falsely representing a company and claiming they were hiring for them. At the very least, it would probably cut down on some of the crap out there.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:14 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
The same way job candidates can't submit applications without a name, an address, and so on.

Sure, the worthless recruiting company could fill in fake information, but that might be illegal if they were falsely representing a company and claiming they were hiring for them. At the very least, it would probably cut down on some of the crap out there.
Careerbuilder could get away making requirements like that if it was a free service. But since it is a pay-site, they need to cater to the customers.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:05 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Thank you. Company Name, Website, and Address should all be mandatory. If those cannot be presented then they should not be allowed to post.

Agreed.

But on the other hand some postings do contain that info, but it is all fake and designed to get you to go to another website for a credit check and to fill out your personal information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search