Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 09:17 PM

7 posts, read 21,098 times

Advertisements

I had my one on one interviewed last Thursday after a successful phone interview for my dream job. During an interview I stumbled on a couple questions and did not give good answers and my voice was not as clear as normal. I was nervous and all the good preparation of what to say did not come out of my mouth. I left feeling awful about myself and so down right now. Now thinking back during the interview, the interviewer did some nodding and smile at some of my answers. He told me his upcoming training class and asked if I will be able to attend, I said yes of course and told him it is my priority to attend the training class. This is the only hope I am having right now. At the end he told me my recruiter will contact me next week to let me know either way. Have anyone have this same experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 10:04 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myworld40 View Post
I had my one on one interviewed last Thursday after a successful phone interview for my dream job. During an interview I stumbled on a couple questions and did not give good answers and my voice was not as clear as normal. I was nervous and all the good preparation of what to say did not come out of my mouth. I left feeling awful about myself and so down right now. Now thinking back during the interview, the interviewer did some nodding and smile at some of my answers. He told me his upcoming training class and asked if I will be able to attend, I said yes of course and told him it is my priority to attend the training class. This is the only hope I am having right now. At the end he told me my recruiter will contact me next week to let me know either way. Have anyone have this same experience.
No one likes a ass kisser.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:09 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,926,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
i don't consider that ass kissing at all.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:34 PM

126 posts, read 429,616 times
I felt the same way after my job interview a few weeks back, and I kept stressing over the things I should've said, but somehow I pulled it off and got the job. I have no idea what pushed me up the list to yes, same way you won't know if you got the job until the call comes in, so try not to stress out about it. The fact you got yourself an interview is reason enough to celebrate. I really hope you get the job. By the way, did you send out a thank you card or email after the interview?

Old 07-07-2012, 11:35 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
No one handles every interview perfectly. Good luck, and either way, move on. Its over now, and all you can do is hope in total, you are viewed as the best candidate for the position.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:36 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
i don't consider that ass kissing at all.
I agree with you. It showed interest and proper prioritization.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:06 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Not ass kissing at all. If you want a job and are serious about it, the training should be the priority. I was recently in a situation of taking a new job with a wedding coming up, knowing I will need a week off in September. So, I mentioned it casually in interviews and more directly in the offer conversation. I told them that other than the plans I have that predated the offer, I was dedicated to coming in and doing the job. No one thought that was a bad response and they did not withdraw the offer.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:43 AM

488 posts, read 554,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myworld40 View Post
You can't go back in time and change what happened. Work on what you didn't feel good about and knock it out of the ballpark next time!

Old 07-08-2012, 07:05 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,784,000 times
You may not have done as bad as you think you did. Everybody stresses during interviews, it is likely the interviewer understands that. They probably wouldn't have mentioned the training if you weren't being considered.

You want to hear a REAL interview "Bomb" story. I was having no luck finding "the job" I was shooting for so I considered going back into my old field (QA). I had put in an application months earlier at a local auto supplier and they called out of the blue for an interview.

I really didn't "want" the job, it felt like I would be giving up on my goal. In addition to that it was with a large corporation and having just spent 20 years in that type of environment I was not eager to return. I agreed to the interview with the idea it would be "temporary" for me and I would move on at the first opportunity.

I show up and the place is a carbon copy of my old employer. You could tell by looking at everyone that people were stressed and uptight. The H.R. guy comes down to get me and we start walking through the cube farm to a conference room. Two feet from the door he says "All the Quality managers will be interviewing you today". He opens the door and there were six or seven people in the room. I turned to the H.R. guy and said I wasn't going to interview, turned around and left.

THAT is "Bombing" the interview.......

It worked out perfectly though- found THE job I was looking for eventually that is directly in line with my career objectives. Funny thing is, I interviewed with three people for this new job and didn't feel nervous at all.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:18 AM

7 posts, read 21,098 times
Thanks everyone for your input. I feel a little better now. If I don't get this one at least I can take this as a lesson and will do better the next. I just don't understand the comment of "ass kissing." Will update how it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search