Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 05:30 AM

39 posts, read 389,969 times

Advertisements

Since I lost my job I have attended tons of seminars on how to find employment. I have spent hours revising my resume and making my cover letter link directly to a specific job opening.

Recently I have got some interviews. Within 24 hours after the interview I always send a personalized THANKYOU LETTER. I try to remind the person I sent the letter to about a few things we talked about and describe again why I would be the perfect person for the job. While I have sent out countless thank you letters through the years, never once have they been acknowledged by the people I wrote to. Am I wasting my time?

What is your experience with people reading and responding to thankyou letters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 06:02 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
As a hiring manager I always appreciate the thank you letter by email or better yet, a hand signed and delivered card. Still,
if the person was not the best it's not going to make a difference. My mind is made up before I would get the thank you
and usually we are in the reference verification stage before making an offer. I don't reply, it would just take too long since
there are usually at least 15-20 interviewed.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:23 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Yes.

Unfortunately, thus far the only reply has been, "Thanks for interviewing! We thought you were great, but we've decided to rearrange the current staff and hire nobody. Good luck!"

That being said, you may as well send them a thank you email anyway since it doesn't hurt.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:20 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
you are not wasting your time. However, it really is not a correspondence that you should expect to get a reply when you send it. Sort of like replying "ok". There is no real purpose. If they have made a decision, you will get a reply with that information. If they have not, you may get one that says "thanks, still thinking" but honestly, the thank you is sent to thank the person and remind them of who you are, not to solicit a response.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:28 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,132,808 times
I have received replies and I once got a thank you letter after my interview from the hiring manager (which is incredibly rare). None of those ended up being offers however so don't take a reply or even a thank you letter to mean anything.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:14 PM

459 posts, read 1,744,014 times
I got 2 offers this week, both from jobs I didn't send thank you notes to. Just saying. I think it's a nice gesture, especially if you'd like to be considered for other opportunities with the company - but I feel like they've made their mind up about you before you even get to the point of writing a thank you in most cases.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:29 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Always send a thank you letter. It used to be the 'edge' that got you the job. Now it is expected.

It depends on the job you are interviewing for whether or not to do a hand written thank you note. While some hiring managers may find it nice, others won't bother to read it. I have heard both sides of the story. IMO email and be done with it.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:35 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by life time student View Post
Since I lost my job I have attended tons of seminars on how to find employment. I have spent hours revising my resume and making my cover letter link directly to a specific job opening.

Recently I have got some interviews. Within 24 hours after the interview I always send a personalized THANKYOU LETTER. I try to remind the person I sent the letter to about a few things we talked about and describe again why I would be the perfect person for the job. While I have sent out countless thank you letters through the years, never once have they been acknowledged by the people I wrote to. Am I wasting my time?

What is your experience with people reading and responding to thankyou letters?

It doesn't mean anything either way. I sent a thank you letter to one person and they responded and I was hired

I sent a thank you letter to someone else and they didn't respond back and I was still hired

Old 07-11-2012, 03:08 AM

39 posts, read 389,969 times
It would be great to hear from actual hiring managers and recruiters for their perspective on thank you letters. Am I wasting my time?

Yesterday I spent half the day crafting four thank you letters trying to make each of them look different and finding things I talked about with each person to discuss and find a way to remind them about my skills and education. (I had talked to four different people at the company. each for 45 minutes.)

Old 07-11-2012, 07:41 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by life time student View Post
It would be great to hear from actual hiring managers and recruiters for their perspective on thank you letters. Am I wasting my time?

Yesterday I spent half the day crafting four thank you letters trying to make each of them look different and finding things I talked about with each person to discuss and find a way to remind them about my skills and education. (I had talked to four different people at the company. each for 45 minutes.)
thank you letters are optional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search