Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 08:59 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
Let me put it this way if you search google for the right terms then you will find a solution to your expired trial problem . Get your hands on ArcGIS 10 and ArcGIS for Server if possible. email some of your old professors and see what they say. Absolute worst case scenario, grab your credit card and get a ESRI ArcGIS Developer license so you get access to everything.

If you can connect the right technical terms on your resume then you will get callbacks. Anyone can Map but if you have legit experience with ArcGIS that you can demonstrate then you're golden, especially since you just graduated.
Which right terms?(send a PM for this).

I will see what my professors can do. I don't know if they'll say yes, because the only conditions they've ever given out the software is for their class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
How about teaching history?

Have you looked into the travel industry? Are there educational non-profits in your area that specialize in history?

Interviewing, Resume and Job Hunting Tips
I don't want to go into teaching.

I have considered the travel industry. In fact, the closest I've came to getting a job is with a travel agency in North Dakota. Unfortunately, I got to the position too late. I don't know of anything else besides the travel agencies.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Having been in local government for a few years I see a demand for people to enter and maintain GIS systems at the county level. I sit on the board that sets the budget for our county assessor, she begs for a raise for the lady who takes care of our GIS system every year because she gets job offers from larger counties almost weekly (fortunately for us her husband owns a business so she's not likely to leave anyway). The pay isn't great in a county as small as ours (10K population) but it's a solid living wage, and larger counties pay much more. Plus county employees get pretty good benefits, at least in the state of Iowa.

Anyway, from my experience there seems to be demand in this area. Probably worth a try.
Actually, I applied for a GIS Technician spot with Clackamas County. I was turned down because my skills weren't competitive enough. I will try other counties.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:53 PM

130 posts, read 365,690 times
You have a BA in Geography, why would you not go into teaching?

Old 08-02-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharingan99 View Post
You have a BA in Geography, why would you not go into teaching?
I'm not into teaching. I don't have the patience for it. Besides, I took some GIS classes. Why not put my skills in GIS to work?

Old 08-03-2012, 12:51 PM

Right now I'm downloading a trial version of AutoCAD. I know that AutoCAD might be useful in getting a job. I need to master it within 30 days.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:08 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Even if you were rejected by County X one time, it doesn't mean you can't apply again if a similar job is open. Could be the same job and the prior person resigned. Sometimes a new manager is doing the hiring, or a different manager and different team. Or maybe the skillset has changed. Or maybe their applicant pool isn't as strong the next time and maybe you will be most qualified at that point.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:09 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
Get in the queue , this is going to be in a long line

Old 08-03-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Even if you were rejected by County X one time, it doesn't mean you can't apply again if a similar job is open. Could be the same job and the prior person resigned. Sometimes a new manager is doing the hiring, or a different manager and different team. Or maybe the skillset has changed. Or maybe their applicant pool isn't as strong the next time and maybe you will be most qualified at that point.
If the position is open I could try again.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:13 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Just tossing a few ideas here:

1) Oil companies were mentioned, but I'd suspect ANY company that focuses on extracting natural resources would have some use for geologists. Mining, for example. Maybe certain places dealing with water supplies, such as rivers and reservoirs. Heck, maybe even lumber companies or farms - just tossing ideas.

2) Any group that builds large scale projects might have a use for these skills. That includes various governments (state, county, city, federal), but it would probably also include the private industries that typically build the larger projects.

Anyway, just trying to help.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search