Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 10:50 PM

6 posts, read 9,342 times

Advertisements

Hello, I graduated in May 2011 but haven't found a job yet. I recently saw a job posting on the college website, so I went and applied for it. It's an administrative assistant job.

Is this kind of thing looked down upon? Do colleges fear hiring its own graduates because it's a sign that the college is not good at preparing its own students for the real world? I'd like to know if I have a better or worse chance of getting the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 11:50 PM

488 posts, read 554,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patternblue View Post
Hello, I graduated in May 2011 but haven't found a job yet. I recently saw a job posting on the college website, so I went and applied for it. It's an administrative assistant job.

Is this kind of thing looked down upon? Do colleges fear hiring its own graduates because it's a sign that the college is not good at preparing its own students for the real world? I'd like to know if I have a better or worse chance of getting the job.
Why would they fear that? Do you think the position at the college is not a "real world" job? The only thing I would fear is living off of the pay. The administrative assistant positions I've seen posted at local collegs in the past pay about $25-30k (and strangely require a college degree and several years of experience).

Old 01-28-2012, 05:36 PM

Sorry I said "real world". I guess what I really meant was a job I would have gotten on my own rather than being handed one by the school. I thought there might me some unwritten policy of not hiring alums. It could be bad for the school's image when its own graduates aren't good enough to get jobs on their own or in their field of study.

The job requires college "and/or equivalent experience", and by that they mean "confidential and service-related". Pays $14.90/hr.

Would the fact that I'm an alum make my chances better or worse? Anyone else experience this before?

Old 01-28-2012, 06:47 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,361,116 times
At least they won't reject you for having a poor education!!!

Old 01-28-2012, 07:33 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,430,343 times
I started working at my alma mater 4 months after graduation. Several of my colleagues also started as coordinators (essentially administrative assistants) and they are now 6-10 years in and assistant directors or directors.

Is the job in a department you had connections with? Milk your connections for all that they're worth. If you worked in work study, ask you old supervisors for insight into the new department. I got my job because my old supervisor's boss called my current supervisor's boss. Of course, I interviewed well as well, but that's what got me hired from across the country for an entry level job.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:40 PM

580 posts, read 2,292,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
At least they won't reject you for having a poor education!!!
Don't be surprised. I'm sure most colleges know the education they give is overrated. Why hire a new grad when there are probably plenty of people with experience who need a job.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I started working at my alma mater 4 months after graduation. Several of my colleagues also started as coordinators (essentially administrative assistants) and they are now 6-10 years in and assistant directors or directors.

Is the job in a department you had connections with? Milk your connections for all that they're worth. If you worked in work study, ask you old supervisors for insight into the new department. I got my job because my old supervisor's boss called my current supervisor's boss. Of course, I interviewed well as well, but that's what got me hired from across the country for an entry level job.
Wow, I've done work study before, why didn't I think of that . Though, it was for a different department. What should I say to my old bosses, just ask them if they can get me in there?

Old 01-28-2012, 08:17 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,982 times
No not at all. In fact, being an alum can help you, especially in the development office, admissions or in student services.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:24 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,430,343 times
Quote:
Wow, I've done work study before, why didn't I think of that . Though, it was for a different department. What should I say to my old bosses, just ask them if they can get me in there?
Because colleges often do a really bad job at teaching students how to network, so you don't think about it! My college was an exception, thank goodness.

What department did you work in and which are you applying for? There might be more connections than you think! I would approach your old supervisor (maybe ask him or her out to lunch) and ask to talk about working in higher ed. You will learn something about a field that offers fantastic benefits, gain a stronger connection, practice your networking skills, and hopefully get a leg up! As you are discussing the field, mention the job you are applying to.

It might even open the door to future employment in the office if this position doesn't work out! I interviewed from out of state and my old supervisors actually helped set me up in interviews for jobs that were not listed yet.

We have also now transitioned from a student worker - supervisor relationship to a colleague relationship. I find this incredibly beneficial in learning how to exist in an office environment as someone who was always either a student worker or intern.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:39 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Sorry I said "real world". I guess what I really meant was a job I would have gotten on my own rather than being handed one by the school. I thought there might me some unwritten policy of not hiring alums. It could be bad for the school's image when its own graduates aren't good enough to get jobs on their own or in their field of study.

The job requires college "and/or equivalent experience", and by that they mean "confidential and service-related". Pays $14.90/hr.

Would the fact that I'm an alum make my chances better or worse? Anyone else experience this before?
Why would you think that? I worked at two well know universities that had both faculty and staff that were alumni.

I have to say I enjoyed one of those jobs(the other not so much due to office politics) than the other jobs I had at corporations. Working on a nice campus has its perks.

Nothing wrong with this at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search