Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 12:22 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,452,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
My "opportunity" hit a snag. I have to have a license and extensive experience operating a motor vehicle. Because of that, I won't be able to work for the company. I'll have to wait at least 2 months now. My mother doesn't want to teach me how to drive anymore and says I should just get a professional to teach me.
Wait a minute you're 23 and don't know how to drive? I mean I could see this if you lived in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 12:24 PM

73,131 posts, read 62,791,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Wait a minute you're 23 and don't know how to drive? I mean I could see this if you lived in NYC.
Don't ask. I've gotten this before. I've been scared of driving for years, and when I finally returned to a place where driving is necessary, I was sort of forced into trying to learn.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:40 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,530,189 times
Quote:
My "opportunity" hit a snag. I have to have a license and extensive experience operating a motor vehicle. Because of that, I won't be able to work for the company. I'll have to wait at least 2 months now. My mother doesn't want to teach me how to drive anymore and says I should just get a professional to teach me.
Get a professional to teach you. Borrow the money from your mother. Pay her back when you get paid. You need to learn to drive and get your DL pronto...it's more important than anything at this point. Find a way to get training asap.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:09 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,285,731 times
Did they put the drivers license requirement in the posting? Seems rude of them not to mention that until after you'd gotten your hopes up. Sorry this happened to you. :-(

Old 03-08-2013, 04:02 PM

73,131 posts, read 62,791,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
Did they put the drivers license requirement in the posting? Seems rude of them not to mention that until after you'd gotten your hopes up. Sorry this happened to you. :-(
I went back and read the position. There was so much on there that I missed a few things. Shame on me for being impatient and missing a few things.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:14 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,944,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I have a few friends over 30 who don't drive/no license. One even lives in LA. Not that uncommon. My mom didn't learn until she was 25.

I wouldn't have bothers if there wasn't an extra car available when I was in High school. Probably until 25.

I agree about the lessons. Driving with your family is stressful.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:53 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,138,584 times
Driving is required for a GPS job? Would you be driving out into the field? Is this common for geography jobs? If so, then you are pretty screwed until you get over your fear of driving.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:39 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,530,189 times
It looks like in GA you are required to have 30 hrs class training and 8 hours behind the wheel training. Your time behind the wheel with your mom counts, I think. I saw something about 40 hrs behind the wheel too but I think the 40 hrs is for 16 year olds(not sure).

Anyway, looks like there are many classes for approx $375 range for the 30 hrs plus 8 hrs. They have classes in most towns in all Atl suburbs. classes occur often.

Check local community colleges...sometimes they have night/weekend Adult Education like painting and Yoga and pottery and Drivers Ed is often in the mix. these can be priced good. Google for more info.

Also I saw the 30 hr class training can be done fully online.

Get this training done and go take the DL test and get your DL. 16 year olds can do this. You are a college graduate, you can do this easily. Just do it.

If you have to apply for a loan to get this training, then do it. Get a credit card for recent graduates or get a loan of some sort to pay for the training.

You could have a DL by the end of March if you put your mind to this. YOU CAN DO IT.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:36 AM

15,880 posts, read 21,488,248 times
green_mariner, I'm not sure if I've shared this story with you before but in case I didn't:

I also had a fear of driving, mostly instilled by parents who weren't exactly interested in preparing me for the real world (sounds like you have a similar problem). I got my license at 17, but with significantly less time behind the wheel than I was supposed to because my parents refused to teach me and then they only let me drive a handful of times between when I got my license and when I moved to college. I lived in an urban area for college and tried to set up my life so I wouldn't ever need to drive. After college, I briefly moved back to Georgia, but lived in Decatur where I could walk everywhere versus at home with my parents in Cumming where I couldn't even bike to a job. I eventually found employment at my alma mater and moved back to the Boston suburbs for work.

And then I got cancer and suddenly I couldn't walk 2 miles without thinking about it anymore - much less take public transit with all the germs or run around outside in the snow. After 3 months of begging rides off of people, I eventually accepted that I had to get a car. I leased (stupid decision looking back, but I was bogged down by cancer bills and it was a lower monthly payment for a car that I knew would be safe and not give me many problems) and the day I drove off the lot and drove 30 miles home in Boston sports traffic was the first time I had driven in almost 5 years. It was horrifying. And Boston area drivers are much more aggressive, much more likely to lay on the horn, and dealing with much more difficult roads/conditions than I ever had to deal with in Georgia.

But it's now been 2 years and I'm a M******* along with the best of them! The first few months were scary - I gave myself lots of extra time, didn't try to take backroads (I might have to make a left turn IN TRAFFIC!), and stayed away from rotaries if I could help it. Slowly, I eased myself into the more difficult and scary situations. It gets better. You do what you have to do. Keep in mind that I was learning to drive all while actively going through chemo. If I could do it, you could do it.

The sooner you can get away from your parents, the better. They sound so much like my parents in some ways. Parents should want their kids to be independent, when parents like ours seem to say they want us to be independent with their words but not do so with their actions.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:45 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,271,496 times
Quote:
On Tuesday I received my BA in Geography. I couldn't have been happier. Now reality is setting in. I have been having trouble finding any work. I have been turned down from so many jobs. Every job I've looked up, it requires at least 2 or 3 years experience, maybe more. Right now I'm looking for jobs in cartography, GIS, surveying, and other things related to geography. Finding a posting that takes a geography degree isn't the problem. Finding a job that doesn't require experience is next to impossible. I'm willing to relocate out of state. In fact, I want to. However, the problem is finding anything. I'm wondering what is going to happen to other college students right now.
Congratulations on your BA. I feel so bad for young people who are now graduating from school and are out there looking for work. I see our local paper every day and there are not even 3 columns of jobs advertised and we are a city of 65,000. The economy is and will continue to be bad for a while yet.
Yes, unfortunately most places are asking for employees with experience and guess what I think is that big business folks have grown tired of training on the job which is sad. How in the world can our future stay in tact if we are not willing to train our replacements?
I am retired...now that in itself is not what it is cut out to be. I get a small Social Security check and out of that SS Check, I have to pay 90.00 a month for Medicare and $134.00 a month to Connecticare to manage my health plan. My Social Security Check WAS $1000 a month and I get a small pension check of $175.00 a month that I need to save for my final days...so as a Senior all that work I did for a large corporation and this is what happens...we get it up the posterior end too in a lot of ways people don't know.
My best advice to you is that when you interview and they mention experience..say to them "Well, I am hoping that when I get hired I will be able to gain all that experience and more.." Tell them that you have worked hard for your degree and you are willing to work even harder to learn all about their company. Make sure you do some "homework" on their company if the company has a website. Baffle them with b.s. and blind them with your brilliance. Good luck!
I will be in your corner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search