Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 12:29 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,314 times

Advertisements

Long story short, I have been a full time student for the past 8 years while raising my child. During this time I have earned my AS in General Studies, BS in Economics, MBA in Management and Strategy, and will earn a BS in Accounting in December 2012. While I have not had paid employment for the past 8 years, I have been a volunteer for a non-profit, child's school, and various organizations on short term needs (volunteer for special events, etc). I have been looking for work since I earned my BS (2011) but have not had any offers. I landed a few interviews for unskilled, min. wage jobs but never heard back after I said I could not offer 24/7 availability. I don't feel like I should sign my life over just to have a job.

I would love to use my Accounting degree and MBA in some way. My background looks like this: 2004-Current (student and volunteer), 2002-2004 (seasonal employment with resorts and national parks), 1990-2002 (retail sales and management with multiple companies).

Resumes should be targeted and include the past 10 years of experience. So....not sure what to do. I don't really want to use all my experience because it looks like I'm a job hopper (mainly due to seasonal jobs and store closures). All my jobs were lateral moves (sales to sales, management to management).

I have tapped out all savings and cc's. I really need to get a job. My colleges do not offer much help except for offering to write your resume for $99.00. I am willing to relocate anywhere at any time.

If I put my BS in Accounting on my resume, do I include my BS in Economics? How would I list the multiple degrees (3 different colleges)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 12:32 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Honestly for $99 I would have your college help you write your resume. Use this as a template to create a specific resume to where you are applying for.

If you have done a lot of volunteering I would suggest looking for a job in the non-profit world.

Sorry, not really much help what to do with your resume...

Old 08-03-2012, 02:28 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
Seeking advice for what to include on resume
Long story short...
Long story short is that you include EVERYTHING.
The question... is HOW you go about doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Honestly for $99 I would have your college help you write your resume.
Use this as a template to create a specific resume to where you are applying for.
^^Terrific suggestion.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:29 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,091 times
I would tailor the resume for the job. Leave out the college degrees for low-wage entry level jobs. For entry level jobs at big companies that mostly require college degrees, list them there. I agree with the others here: asking your college to pay for a resume makeover is a good idea.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:45 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
I think paying the $99 may be worth while. If you can't do that, maybe look at some friend's resumes for ideas. You can find examples online too.

Instead of listing jobs chronologically, maybe you could list all your non profit experience with the amount of time you spent, all your retail experience, and the amount of time, so it doesn't come across like job hopping, but comes across as 2 years of non profit, 4 years of retail experience, or whatever it is. Does that make sense?

Old 08-04-2012, 10:50 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
First off, if you have the $99 to spare, I don't think you have anything to lose by having your college write your resume.

That said, when looking for work you can just explain to them, in a nice cover letter, that you were attending school. Many employers will understand if you took the time off to better your skill set. If they ask you why it took you eight years to complete your education, be perfectly honest and tell them you were earning 4 degrees to become a more well-rounded individual while taking care of a child at the same time.

Otherwise, If you held any jobs relevant to the ones you're applying for from 2002-now for 1 year or longer, list them (same for the jobs dating back to 1990), especially if you have references from them. Job hopping doesn't seem as bad if you're in school, and technically you were only volunteering for the most part. Furthermore, the fact that you had a more stable work history for 12 years before you began school shows that you are capable of holding down a job.

BTW, personally, I think you can try aiming for jobs that pay more than minimum wage (if you haven't tried already). If anything, with all of those degrees (BS in Accounting AND Economics and that Master's Degree in Management/Strategy), you're overqualified for even many professional jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search