Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 02:25 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,769,423 times

Advertisements

Ha. A guy I work with was asked to go to his college and do the job fair thing. I don't think we're hiring at the moment but will soon be, and I know they are targeting certain majors with minumum GPA's.

I've never been to a job fair, because, I thought there were BS. Just like college fairs in high school. I can probably find out more about the college/job online than some recruiter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 04:01 PM

890 posts, read 2,787,967 times
Attending college fairs as a student provides exposures with the different companies, people, and possible opportunities.

Back then, I was unsure what is really out there--what kind of jobs, how happy the employees are.
I did not really have the concept of knowing to ask those small things that matter in the long run.

At the time, I was more focused on getting a job, and/or getting a well paid job. I also had assumptions about healthcare and some form of retirement benefit. But these days, these things needs to be asked.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:34 PM

69 posts, read 176,485 times
I dont want to sound like a conspiracy theorist but I think career fairs are a "vessel of hope" to ensure that students maintain hope in the education system. Imagine if companies did not conduct them students would panic and pretty much drop out of school because they have no chance of working for their "dream companies". And sometimes people or students want to over achieve at career fairs they only visit the big firms who have 200 people in line and expect to be offered a position right away, and my biggest advice to students is stay away from the big firms if your GPA is below 3.7 and you have no meaning full experience in the field you are interested in. Apart from that good luck and I hope you get something

Old 09-28-2012, 11:45 PM

110 posts, read 383,937 times
I went to a top research university, and the school job fairs were legit. Companies did on-site interviews and either followed up or hired on the spot.

It depends on the school, the current job demand for your field, and whether the company is hiring or just wants to get the name out.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:52 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,184,617 times
^ I agree. School job fairs at good schools are legit.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:20 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,428,754 times
Job fairs of any type (college or not) are generally PR for companies. It is probably a crap shoot to get a job from them, and I recommend going just to find out about different companies especially if you don't have that many job prospects after completing your degree.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:55 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,134,669 times
In college, I had several classmates with MIS or EE degrees that received internships through career fairs at Hewlett Packard. They were hired after graduation for full time positions. For whatever reason, one of my classmates never bothered with career fairs or intern work, because they were crap.

I have never met anybody that benefited from a career fair other than the ones in college. It's always a story of submitting a resume and never getting anything back.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:11 AM

653 posts, read 1,804,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccountingDude View Post
I dont want to sound like a conspiracy theorist but I think career fairs are a "vessel of hope" to ensure that students maintain hope in the education system. Imagine if companies did not conduct them students would panic and pretty much drop out of school because they have no chance of working for their "dream companies".
Repped for this. Good thinking, this never occurred to me.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:52 AM

276 posts, read 431,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostfan13 View Post
I went to a top research university, and the school job fairs were legit. Companies did on-site interviews and either followed up or hired on the spot.

It depends on the school, the current job demand for your field, and whether the company is hiring or just wants to get the name out.
Same here. Students at the career fairs (given by the larger on campus organizations such as SWE) were very productive for both internships and permanent places. Most of the companies that attended (Google, P&G, Microsoft, Goldman Sachs, etc.) sent alumni and this is how many of my friends got both internships and jobs. For reference, I went to one of the best engineering schools in the country.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:43 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,609,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleylake View Post
Job fairs of any type (college or not) are generally PR for companies. It is probably a crap shoot to get a job from them, and I recommend going just to find out about different companies especially if you don't have that many job prospects after completing your degree.
Agree with this, more than anything job fairs are just free PR, company won't admit it but that is proably the main reason why they are. Still you go, you go because to go is far better than not going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search